Bird's Head SAA's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Bird's Head SAA's

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've always liked the look of a bird's head gripped SAA in a shorter barrel. I've never owned an SAA and have only fired a Ruger single six and that was about 30 years ago. Currently, I'm seeing a lot of the Taylor's Cattlemen SAA's around in .45 Colt with the bird's head grip and a 3-1/2" barrel. I think these are Uberti made guns. I think I'd prefer a Bisley style hammer but otherwise I like it. I suspect I can get the hammer swapped.

What's the downside to the bird's head grip in a short barreled SAA like this? If I picked one up, would it be disappointing as a first SAA? Is the Uberti a good quality gun?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Bird's Head SAA's

Post by Walt »

Uberti has developed a reputation as a quality firearms manufacturer in recent years.
I have spoken to several owners of their bird's head single actions and they love them.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've had a matched set (one in 44sp and one 45C) for near 30 years. They're some of my most favorite hand guns. Mine are 4 5/8 and checkered with a hump at top of grip.
The only downside I can think of is all the recoil is taken at the point in the palm that contacts the rear point of the rounded grip. There is no "roll" in recoil as with standard grip, at least not with checkering. With a full SAAMI spec load it can be a pretty good thump to the palm in a relatively small area. I like both mine but I'm not going to load them hot, or even warm.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Sometime back in the 1990's, I purchased a Bird's head 3" .45 Colt SAA. Believe it was a Uberti. Enjoyed shooting it once I found the load my hand liked - -with a stout load and 250 grn (or was it 225 grn??) bullet, muzzle blast and recoil torque required a solid grip and were uncomfortable.

Had no mechanical problems with the pistol. Fit/finish were very good. Sold it off to purchase another firearm.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Heeeeyyyyy McNut Job…….the birds head grip is a personal preference as to feel…….I’ve owned them all in the original form of 1877 Thunderers & Lightnings
…..
……the “in between” is the round butt that you see on Colt Shooting Masters and some Colt New Service Target models….…I know nothing of what’s made overseas……..

The birds head grips is more of a pocket gun for concealment…if you like it..get it……life is short..play hard dude…….

I’ve personally have never been able to get past the standard Colt SAA grip frame for a “number 1 fit”, but that’s me…
To me, NOTHING beats the standard Colt SAA or the original Ruger XR3 grip frame……

Companies sell about everything ever invented to keep the money flow moving. You can even take a regular SAA gun and unscrew the barrel and shoot it as it…..great for personal up front delivery of lead to the ones who need it…..and by Lordy, there’s a lot who need it.

The reason why the birds head grip never took off in popularity is because of what it is….to me, it’s ugly and non conforming…but that’s my
opinion..

I always go old school….here’s a potent package…2” SAA “slip gun” with lowered hammer spur made in 1905 in 45 Long Colt….it’s like a miniature howitzer. ——-006

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For those with smaller sized hands I understand that it's pure heaven. I've never owned one, shot one, or desired one. I like the Colt plowshare handle just fine. It's just about small enough to be too small for my hands. I usually wear a large to extra large glove. I always thought that the rounded backstrap would roll too much in my hand, making any follow-up near impossible, but what do I know? Maybe I should try one, just so's I "know"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The only gun I own that has that grip is a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper. It's a pocket gun. And small. I prefer the Colt SAA and the old Ruger XR3 grip. But it works on the little bitty Bearcat.
Bearcat_Shopkeeper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Cimarron's Thunderer in .44 Special that I like very much. Still trying to reproduce that old Remington load that it shoots really well.

The Ruger birds head grip doesn't fit my hand as well as the Colt style on the Uberti, I do like my little Bearcat like the one Jim has.

Recently picked up a Ruger New Vaquero with the short barrel and standard grip, also in .44 Spl. The triggers on both revolvers are about the same and pretty good. The Ruger's action is much smoother, however.
Side by side, the Uberti's grip saves about an inch in overall length.

They are both fun shooters.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an Uberti "Cattleman Sabre", which is the 3.5-inch barrel with a bird's head grip version. Love it. Now, like others, my favorite SAA grip is the 1873 SAA (well, really the 1860 Army, but the SAA is a very close second). But the short-barreled SAA with a bird's head grip makes a dandy concealed carry gun. Or belly gun, if you will. :D I just got a spare cylinder in .45 ACP for it. Now, if it was my first SAA, I'd stick with a traditional grip, but why only have one? :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I've seen that Taylor's also carried something called the Stallion in a bird's head grip which they note is a 3/4 scale SAA. Seems they are mostly in .38 Special which I'm not interested in. If they were in 32-20, in that smaller frame, they'd have me.

I've also now found a Ruger Single Seven in stainless that is/was offered (Lipsey's) in a short barreled bird's head style in .327 Federal. That's interesting as well. I really wanted a Smith M-16 back in the day but they stopped at .32 H&R Mag and never made one in .327 Federal.

I've noticed that some "bird's head" guns have a hump at the top of the grip like the Cimarron's Thunderer shown in @2ndovc's post above. It looks more like a Colt Lightning to me in that style than an SAA.

So far, I'm still liking the Cattleman in .45 Colt though. I appreciate all of your guidance.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Cimarron has that smaller action and birdshead grip chambered in 32-20/32H&R. Not 327 but not bad if you do like that smaller action.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I've also found that someone called Standard Manufacturing will take a custom order for a bird's head SAA with a 3-3/4" barrel and the Bisley hammer. I think it's pricey though. I might inquire on Monday just to see.

It's funny ... 20 years ago about the only bird's head I'd seen was an old Ruger Bearcat in .22 LR. Now they seem to be far more available.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:00 pm I've seen that Taylor's also carried something called the Stallion in a bird's head grip which they note is a 3/4 scale SAA. Seems they are mostly in .38 Special which I'm not interested in. If they were in 32-20, in that smaller frame, they'd have me.

I have one of the 3/4ths scale models, or rather, it was Y2K's first centerfire SAA, so he has one. :D It's a fun little gun. I'd buy one in a heartbeat that was in .32-20!
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:00 pm
I've noticed that some "bird's head" guns have a hump at the top of the grip like the Cimarron's Thunderer shown in @2ndovc's post above.
Mine is humpless! :wink:

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My son had a Ruger with that grip, I didn't care for it at all, I guess he didn't either cause he swapped it out for a regular grip, Knowing him he still has it.....
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always liked the look of the bird's head grip frame, but after shooting one a friend owned I knew I'd never own one. His is in .45 colt and my hands are too large to feel comfortable with this tiny grip. Just doesn't feel right in my hands.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
abar20manfan
Levergunner

Post by abar20manfan »

Vaquero 45 Colt
ADEC0BBD-08AE-496E-9EE1-909D32ED9709.jpeg
Wrangler 22LR
C13E7272-76CA-4248-ABB5-6EDBEEB476CC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Not a short barrel, but here's one Bobby Tyler built up for me from an old wreck of a Ruger. As you can see, it's got the Bisley hammer and a few other tweaks as well. As for handling, grip shape is very subjective as far as how it will feel for one person or another. Most folks seem to like the Ruger Bisley grip frame, for example. It raps my knuckle something fierce when shooting heavy loads. Don't have that problem with the birdshead grip though.
2022-06-13 20.13.29.jpg
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:00 pm ... Taylor's also carried something called the Stallion... Seems they are mostly in .38 Special...
My son tried one with the conventional grip. It was a disaster. The ejector doesn't line up with the loading gate and binds on the empties.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I did make contact with Standard Manufacturing which is apparently an subsidiary of Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing. It was in reference to this article. After a quick discussion, they told me they don't actually do that kind of work. Honestly, I'm not sure how stuff like this even get's published. They said they once made ... one. Maybe this was something one of the marketing guys dreamed up in a drug induced vision so he called a gun mag about it and they ran with it ... picture and all.
Boartooth
Levergunner

Post by Boartooth »

I have a Ruger Vaquero 45 colt with a 3 3/4 inch barrel and a Birdshead grip! I love that revolver and even with Grizzly 265 gr bullets recoil ain’t to bad with cowboy loads it is a pleasure to shoot!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I ordered it ... the Taylor's/Uberti 3-1/2" in .45 LC. Between the FFL exchange and the snail mail system, I'm probably looking at a week and a few days. I guess I'd better start looking for ammo. I don't have the dies for this one.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I also ordered some ammo while I was online. That turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. Casual shooting seems to be getting harder these days if you don't handload. I though I'd add some other calibers to my basket while I was online for 22WMR, 45ACP, etc. Nope and nope and nope. Apparently, 45LC is actually easier to find than a lot of other cartridges. Maybe I should be shooting 9mm or 38Special instead.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, nearly all casual shooting is a handloaders province now. I even looked at the 50 or so cases of 38S&W that I have to load tomorrow. Loaded 100 of the Cowboy45Special today... and got two of my pastures mowed! I need to figure out to make this retirement gig pay better... otherwise I'm going to have to back to work!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:59 pm I ordered it ... the Taylor's/Uberti 3-1/2" in .45 LC. Between the FFL exchange and the snail mail system, I'm probably looking at a week and a few days. I guess I'd better start looking for ammo. I don't have the dies for this one.
Congrats! have fun with that shooter!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS