Range Time With The Old H&R .38 S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Range Time With The Old H&R .38 S&W

Post by JimT »

I took the H&R to the Range today. Considering what it looked like when I started on it, the gun is now beautiful in that it actually shoves projectiles downrange in the general direction you want them to go!
BEFORE
1.jpg
TODAY
IMG_5057.JPG
I shot the round ball load .. the 96 gr. Bear Creek bullet (.361" diameter) ... and the Bear Creek 124 gr. 9mm bullet. I used 3.0 gr. Bulllseye and 10.0 gr. FFg Black Powder with the 96 gr. bullet and 2.5 gr. Bullseye with the 124 gr. bullet. All targets were shot at 20 feet offhand.
Lazarus 1.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
I had real issues trying to see the itty bitty front sight .. and the so-called rear sight notch.
IMG_5066.JPG
It hits quite a ways to left ... but at the ranges it was intended it don't make a lot of difference. Considering where it came from until now and how pitted the bore is I believe it is doing right well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Range Time With The Old H&R .38 S&W

Post by gamekeeper »

All things considered that's pretty neat.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Pretty nice results! I know what you mean about the sights -- a pimple up front and a faint wrinkle in the back...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:43 pm Pretty nice results! I know what you mean about the sights -- a pimple up front and a faint wrinkle in the back...
….it needs to see a dermatologist… :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, this has been a really fun project. Thanks for seeing it through.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim , you did one heck of a restoration on that old shootin iron ! It's certainly happy to go bang again.
So is it your new carry gun?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:31 pm Jim , you did one heck of a restoration on that old shootin iron ! It's certainly happy to go bang again.
So is it your new carry gun?
Only to play with. I would hate to have to trust my life to it. :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a transformation! :) Well done!

Do you know when the gun was originally made? I doubt you'd shoot it enough that the smokeless loads would be a problem, but a lot of those pocket top-breaks were never rated for smokeless powder, as I am sure you know.

Happy Shooting!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:27 pm What a transformation! :) Well done!

Do you know when the gun was originally made? I doubt you'd shoot it enough that the smokeless loads would be a problem, but a lot of those pocket top-breaks were never rated for smokeless powder, as I am sure you know.

Happy Shooting!
I am not sure when it was made. Definitive information on these old cheap guns is hard to nail down and I haven't taken the time to do so. I have old reloading manuals going back to 1940 and the load data even then for the old top breaks was pretty light. I plan to stick with the round ball or the 96 gr. Bear Creek bullet. They will do everything I want it to do.