Got my first Arsenal mold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Got my first Arsenal mold

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I ordered this mold a few weeks ago and forgot I had done so because I put in an order with Tom at Accurate about the same time. Thought I would try brass, as all the rest of my molds have been steel or aluminum.
The mold arrived yesterday and I put it to immediate use and cast up a mess of .452 WFNs weighing just under 235 grains out of my range scrap alloy. I am impressed -- but also impressed with the weight of the mold. It sure made me aware of the arthritis in my left wrist. :o
I don't have any .45 ACP brass on hand but look forward to running this bullet at +P velocity. Here it is in comparison with the good old Lee 452-255 RF.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got my first Arsenal mold

Post by GunnyMack »

I found out about brass when I put a brass grip fame on my BH 41mag. It feels great until it's hanging on your hip !
Nice mould, dropped some real nice boolits!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Gunny, is that brass grip frame the same profile as the original on your Blackhawk? What kind of configuration did you decide on? Is it from RW Grip Frames? A picture would be great!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Looks like the mould is treating you real fine Bill, other than the weight of the thing. As a big fan of multi-cavity moulds I surely do appreciate the aluminum for mold block material.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont want to take Bill's thread off on a tangent, ill take a couple picks and start a new thread shortly.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That's good looking bullet, probably work pretty nice in 45 Colt also.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice. I have two molds that have come in recently that I need to try. One is also brass. My only molding with brass in the past was with the reproduction ones where you need welders grove to use them for any length of time.

So, what order would you put them in, favorite first? Brass, aluminum, or steel?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Aluminum for me, Jay. Yes, it is more delicate than steel, but I have never had a serious issue with these molds -- whether from Tom at Accurate or from Lee.
I just had to try brass once. Kicked myself for not ordering one from Rob Applegate before he retired.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Same for me. I really like aluminum molds. Heat up plenty fast. Your post inspired me and today at lunch I tried out my two new molds. Didn't realize how much more fatiguing the brass mold was! Or I guess I haven't done any casting in a spell and need to get back in the grove! :lol: