Gun show parts find.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Gun show parts find.

Post by marlinman93 »

We had our monthly OAC collector show yesterday, and luckily the fella whose tables are back to back with mine rolled a cart full of boxes in, and told me he was selling the estate of an old gunsmith. He told me I should stop and look fast as he was selling stuff cheap, and not piece by piece!
He pulled out bins of parts that were about 14" long, and maybe 8" wide, and filled with parts. Then small divider bins filled with brand new screws! First bin I opened was full of steel buttplates for pre '64 Model 70's, Savage, Marlin, Remington, Win. 1886, 1873, 1892, etc. He wanted $50 for the bin, and I gladly bought it.
The next bin was full of military sights for 03A3, Krag, Trapdoors, Mausers, and a bunch of civilian sporter sights for old lever guns. Another $50 bin!
Then small divided plastic boxes that I quickly recognized as Colt SAA screws. All new, and 2-3 dozen per compartment, plus a bunch of grip escutcheons, and screw kits. Plus some bags of 100 SAA screw packs marked .75 cents each, or $75 per 100! Old markings, and he wanted $20 per box, and $10 per bag! So bought all of his screws also.
Guys were begging him to sell them a few screws separately, or a single buttplate or sight, when they could have bought a whole bin for what he was asking, and had all the extras. Never understand this mentality of passing up a deal just because you'll have too much at a fantastic price?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun show parts find.

Post by 1894cfan »

Don't know what it's called, but have a 1941 Win M70 in 30 gov't 06 that takes an odd scope mount, screw holes for it are-two holes on top forward and two holes left side rear of receiver that a Lyman peep sight mounts to. You get one of those? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE? :shock: :)
I just wish my Grandfather had picked up one of those when he bought the rifle!
Last edited by 1894cfan on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Vall, you did great! What a lucky find and probably only because of your table's location.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

1894cfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:25 pm Don't know what it's called, but have a 1941 Win M70 in 30 gov't 06 that takes an odd scope mount, screw holes for it are-two holes on top forward and two holes left side rear of receiver that a Lyman peep sight mounts to. You get one of those? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE? :shock: :)
Sorry, no scope parts at all!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Walt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:33 pm Vall, you did great! What a lucky find and probably only because of your table's location.
Yeah Walt, had I not been close by, I'd likely have missed out on this. A number of containers I simply grabbed when he told me what was in them, and the price. Then looked afterwards to see what I'd bought.
One box of colt screws I paid for, and when I reached down to pick it up another guy had it and was holding out money to buy it! I had to retrieve it, and tell him I'd just paid for it!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:06 pm
1894cfan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:25 pm Don't know what it's called, but have a 1941 Win M70 in 30 gov't 06 that takes an odd scope mount, screw holes for it are-two holes on top forward and two holes left side rear of receiver that a Lyman peep sight mounts to. You get one of those? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE? :shock: :)
Sorry, no scope parts at all!
:cry: Oh, well, I tried.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:11 pm
Walt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:33 pm Vall, you did great! What a lucky find and probably only because of your table's location.
Yeah Walt, had I not been close by, I'd likely have missed out on this. A number of containers I simply grabbed when he told me what was in them, and the price. Then looked afterwards to see what I'd bought.
One box of colt screws I paid for, and when I reached down to pick it up another guy had it and was holding out money to buy it! I had to retrieve it, and tell him I'd just paid for it!
Timing is everything, isn't it? That was a close call on that box of Colt screws!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Walt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:04 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:11 pm
Timing is everything, isn't it? That was a close call on that box of Colt screws!
It was! The seller was in such a hurry he said he almost sold it again thinking it was a different box! I sure wasn't interested in getting my money back had he sold it again!