Ruger Standard .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger Standard .22

Post by Bridger »

Found this at an LGS. I’ve been wanting a high quality.22 pistol for a while, preferably either a Colt Woodsman or even a Ruger. This one was made in 1979. $375 + tax. I don’t know if it’s been shot more than a magazine full before it was stuck back in the box. How’d I do? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Standard .22

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd say ya done GOOD!
I NEED to shoot mine more, as well as my Hi Standard.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ya did great! one of my all time favorite guns. they are accurate and reliable and fun. great warmer-upper for a day of shooting..... good fish killer too . . . 8)

grizz
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bridger, you did very well! It appears that your gun is darn near pristine.

Gunny, what sort of High Standard do you have?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool!
I have a couple of MK IIs and like Gunny said, need to get them out more. My dad and I trade my great uncle's Colt Match Target back and forth. He has it now and will probably keep it. I'm in no hurry to get it back when the inevitable happens. Hope it's a good long time.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well done! :mrgreen: 8) :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Great price on a quality gun…..shoot it…..it’ll never fail ya…….I have 17K out of one before the extractor broke…..try that with junk…..—6
Model A Uzi’s
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Every household should have at least one Ruger 22.
Apparently Bill Ruger didn’t want to make a 22 pistol. So he created a great one with the most frustrating field strip of any firearm made.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Tycer, gotta agree with you! Love my MKII, but if I don't use it often enough, taking it apart and putting it back together is a bit of a pain!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Mark II that I have had for about 40 or 41 years. Other than the annoying field strip, it is still a great gun. You did well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Walt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:18 pm Bridger, you did very well! It appears that your gun is darn near pristine.

Gunny, what sort of High Standard do you have?
Walt I wish I could say it's an Olympic model but it's nothing special, just the run of the mill B model with plastic grips, in the box with very little use.
My Mk2 is a 10" stainless, I installed a muzzle break, drilled & tapped for scope base with action work. Was a great bunch of fun on the dog towns.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was jonesing pretty hard for that 4 3/4 barrel model back in high school days circa 1970-71. Then Dad surprised me with one with the six-inch barrel for my 18th birthday in 1971. Before long, I was glad to have the extra barrel length for the sight radius. You made the mistake of placing the knuckle your thumb too near the rear of the slide just the one time ... :lol:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Gunny, was the fun with the doggies when you were in Colorado? We have lots of them in NM and we slaughtered them with anything from .22 LR to .375 H&H.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes in CO. Was close to NM while I was there, spent some time at Whittington Center too.
Yup if it went bang we shot it at the pasture poodles!
I made a shot with my 25-20 at 275 paces!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Outstanding deal!

I think those Rugers are some of the best shooters and so simple.

I have a lightweight MKII with a 1911 style grip frame. It is much more challenging to shoot because of the light weight.

That’s a great gun and I predict that it will shoot better than you can hold.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I agree that the Ruger MK series are fine guns. I only have one of them now, a MKIV Competition. I fitted it with Volquartsen and Tandemkross aftermarket goodies. A nice target gun but I shoot my High Standard Supermatic Trophy more. I've had a Smith 622 for years; it was apparently based on the tiny .22 auto called the Bodyguard. There's not much good to be said for it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a Smith 422, that mag safety sucked !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

piller wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:31 am I have a Mark ...... Other than the annoying field strip, it is still a great gun.
Not enough for me to get a MK IV. I'd like a 22/45 but can't stand that ugly pivot on the MK IV's.

Oh well, I have a couple of glock 22s, M&P 22, 1911 22s and a MK II. I should stop buying guns, right?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks guys! I did stop and shoot 50 rounds through it on the way home and I was not disappointed. No hiccups, points naturally, and it seems to shoot better than I can! Lol

Vance, I got it at the house of guns up in Boswell. Worth a trip if you’ve never been….
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

re several "field strip" comments. never needed to do that in the field... as far as re-assembly goes, it isn't very challenging... I think there is a clear picture in the owner's manual.....

however I haven't done it in a long while, so maybe I should explore the activity..... I am "losing my touch" as far as being able to discern certain situations, starting a cap screw upside down and backwards underneath something in the engine bay .......... I can not reliably start that fastener and feel the threads engaging any more . . . .

just saying this because I find it interesting that some normal and natural stuff is disappearing.. . ...

off to find the Ruger Auto for a test drive, it has to be somewhere in this room, I think ............ BBL

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There is that company that has a replacement thingamajig to replace the Ruger hooterutus that everyone struggles with when reassembling the Mk series.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Grizz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:36 am re several "field strip" comments. never needed to do that in the field... as far as re-assembly goes, it isn't very challenging... I think there is a clear picture in the owner's manual.....

however I haven't done it in a long while, so maybe I should explore the activity..... I am "losing my touch" as far as being able to discern certain situations, starting a cap screw upside down and backwards underneath something in the engine bay .......... I can not reliably start that fastener and feel the threads engaging any more . . . .

just saying this because I find it interesting that some normal and natural stuff is disappearing.. . ...

off to find the Ruger Auto for a test drive, it has to be somewhere in this room, I think ............ BBL

Once you realize where the strut has to seat, reassembly is pretty simple.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yup. Simple. but a great gun, IMO
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine has always been jam free and as accurate as anyone could hope for. Several kids have learned with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost