S&W 329PD, a 26oz 44mag. No thanks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

S&W 329PD, a 26oz 44mag. No thanks

Post by RIDERED350r »

I don't know if y'all watch many guntubers, but there are a handful of them I like and follow. Buffalo is a good guy and a pretty highly experienced wheelgunner. Definitely not a dum-dum. The 329PD is nothing new, but I've always thought it would not be any fun to shoot. Buffalo got a hold of one and it bloodied his hand a bit. Talk about riding the lightning!

https://youtu.be/VEwMhfwS6Ps
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 329PD, a 26oz 44mag. No thanks

Post by OldWin »

My uncle has one. He got it for 500 bucks after the previous owner shot it.
He had me work up a usable load for it so I loaded some cast SWC over some IMR4227. I shot it some and it wasn't bad, but either it didn't shoot, or I didn't shoot it as well as my 629.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's like shooting one of the scandium-framed J-frame .357s......only worse.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess if you think of it as a really sturdy and not very compact 44 Special that you could hot-rod in an emergency…
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:22 pm That's like shooting one of the scandium-framed J-frame .357s......only worse.
bang.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I own a S&W 29-2 4", a 629 Classic 6.5", and a 460V 5". The most unpleasant revolver I've ever fired was none of those. That title goes to a current production model 60 my brother has at one time. I tried it with a couple 357 and it's was the sharpest recoiling thing I've ever fired. Tiny grip I don't imagine helps either. I am not recoil shy but I do have limits.

A friend of mine has an Air weight J-frame 357 and I'm just not interested at all.

Weapons like that seem a bit counterintuitive to me. Practicing with Spls and carrying mags for emergency use doesn't seem like a good practice. I would rather be proficient with the type of ammo that will be in it when it counts for such a situation.

But, there's a posterior for every seat though.....
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I've had three of them. Still have two. Very specialized units. My all day everyday carry for the better part of a decade here in Montana. Shot over 9,000 rnds of lower end .44 mags thru them. They don't hold up well to heavy use with 1,100 fps 240gr+ loads. Best weight to power ratio handgun avail. Not easy to shoot - light weight, short barrel, v-notch rear, heavy recoil. Not ment to be anything other than an easy cary, up close and personal, bad breath range personal defense gun. For that purpose they excel. The moron that put wood grips with an open back strap on these guns should be banned from the firearms industry. Mine are equipped with the S&W 500 Hogue Tamers -- makes a huge difference.

The Buffalo Bore 305gr ammo is no joke. Never shot it in the 329s, but"

Buffalo Bore, 305 LBT LFN HC rated 1,325 fps
Underwood, 305 LFNGC Plated (HiTech?) rated 1,325 fps
LabRadar muzzle velocity at 33 deg F
S&W M69 2.75" ===> BB 1,195 fps ===> Under 1,147fps
S&W M69 4.25" ===> BB 1,276 fps ===> Under 1,248 fps
Ruger SRH 7.5" ===> BB 1,395 fps ===> Under 1,315 fps

They also made a 2.5" version with a stainless cylinder
I carried one while bow hunting elk for years until I could no longer negotiate the back county (mobility and balance issues). Don't shoot them much any more - gravitate more towards the 2.75" M69 and 22s as I get older.

Great option for those that need a light weight powerful handgun that won't be left in the truck. I'm a fan.

Personally, the light weight (340, 360) S&W .357s are infinely more painful to shoot. They hammer the bone at the base of the thumb and the trigger finger.

Paul
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had one of those little 5 shot titanium Taurus Trackers in 41 Mag. It was one of those you carry a lot and shoot very little. Brutal recoil with full power loads.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:52 pm I had one of those little 5 shot titanium Taurus Trackers in 41 Mag. It was one of those you carry a lot and shoot very little. Brutal recoil with full power loads.
I put a few thru a buddies in .357..... :shock: :shock:
Heck, my LCP draws blood on the trigger finger after 20 or so.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've had this fixed sight round butt 629 2.5" Smith "Tunnel Rat" that Jeff Croze of S&W got for me right out of the Smith vault about 12 years ago. Fired maybe 3 cylinders of full power 260 gr loads out of it and no matter how hard I tried, it always jumped out of my supporting hand. I do shoot it somewhat regularly with a 210 gr H&G cast at 900 fps and its similar to a 45 auto......very controllable. Keep that titanium or scanadium or whatever they call it. It came with some kind of sticky rubber grips which I replaced with ebony magnas.

He even gave me an extra hammer for it that I quickly bobbed.

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Painful to shoot will usually mean it doesn't get used much. It can also mean that the shooter might flinch. Not everyone flinches, but it can happen. I have a hard recoiling handgun, and have started loading it down a bit for comfort. Heavier bullets at minimum velocity seems to work fine. It is not a lightweight handgun. That lightweight .44 Magnum sounds uncomfortable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, you have some of the most amazing collectibles and shooters. Speaking of tunnel rats, they had to have been some of the most courageous people on the planet and they have my undying respect and admiration. Hard to imagine the concussion of a gun in such a small enclosure. Those poor guys probably came out of there deaf as a post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

With what little experience I have had, I have noticed over the years that practicing with light ammo and then shooting the heavy stuff for hunting, self-defense etc. is no way a detriment. Whenever I have had to use a handgun in a stressful situation I did not notice the noise or the recoil.

Nearly every time I shot game I rarely ever remember hearing the shot, though at times I heard the bullet strike the animal. I am not saying it did not affect my hearing. I just did not hear it nor did it make my ears "ring" ... though I have cicada's singing inside my ears all the time now. :roll:

The recoil was not noticed either. I include full power .475 Linebaugh loads in this.

I have had others who worked in law enforcement, the military and hunters tell me they experience the same thing.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I can’t shoot the titanium guns very well but this does just fine. Pinned and recessed Magnaport Special from the old days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Scott, I don't believe I've seen one like that. It appears to be a model 624 but the barrel length is shorter than what I'm familiar with. What is it?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Okay, I see (I think). I interpreted the "Special" in the description to mean .44 special but it's a Magnaport Special. Still, an odd barrel length. It must predate the Lew Horton series.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I see that Six's model 629 shown above has a fairly similar barrel length but I doubt that gun was ever cataloged by Smith.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

JimT wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 am With what little experience I have had, I have noticed over the years that practicing with light ammo and then shooting the heavy stuff for hunting, self-defense etc. is no way a detriment. Whenever I have had to use a handgun in a stressful situation I did not notice the noise or the recoil.

Nearly every time I shot game I rarely ever remember hearing the shot, though at times I heard the bullet strike the animal. I am not saying it did not affect my hearing. I just did not hear it nor did it make my ears "ring" ... though I have cicada's singing inside my ears all the time now. :roll:

The recoil was not noticed either. I include full power .475 Linebaugh loads in this.

I have had others who worked in law enforcement, the military and hunters tell me they experience the same thing.
That's a valid point. I've experienced the same when shooting game. 👍🏻
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

This is the smallest 44 I carry and shoot. It's a 629-2 Hunter with the endurance package. Smith made 2500 with the 3" barrel and factory Pachmayr grippers. I bought it NIB a couple years ago. First thing I did was take it out and shoot it. It's very controllable and not hard to shoot. Mostly because it isn't much lighter than my standard 629-1. I actually carry it fairly often.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Walt wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:23 am I see that Six's model 629 shown above has a fairly similar barrel length but I doubt that gun was ever cataloged by Smith.
No, it's not.........they made a handful and I happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right connections....those days are gone.

A big bore snubbies NEEDS to be made of steel unless you have bionic hands.....

Nothing really has changed in well over a hundred years...a big heavy bullet at 750-850 will drop any human....or so I'm told as I'm not in the business of shooting people nor do I want to be.

Two more big bore snubbies from around 1905, both in 45 Long Colt.

Model A Uzi’s
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

As far as ease of carry, I don't find my 4" 29-2 to be burdensome. Definitely not a t-shirt concealable piece but it doesn't ride overly heavy on a descent gun belt in a forward canted two slot holster.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I've got a S&W 60-9 .357 that I've tried various loads in, and the only Mag load I'll shoot in it is Win 110gr factory loads. Anything else is just way too much!
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Here's another light weight that will get your attention. S&M M396 - 18oz .44 special. Great to carry - can be a bit frisky with upper end .44 special - actually worse than the 340/360 S&W .357s.
Obtained these light weights for backup while bow hunting elk in the MT Rockies. After a day of challenging terrain, high elevation, on old legs every extra once feels like a pound.
Kinda got hooked on the big bore snubbies, so have added a couple of 2.5" 41 Mags Charter Arms and Taurus Ti along with my personal favorite the 2.75" L Frame M69 .44 Mag
M69 at 35oz pretty much my upper end weight wise for carry any more
Don't get out for more than an hour and half any more and not in challenging terrain, but still appreciate light weight handguns.

Paul
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I've given thought to the model 69. That's about as light weight of a 44 that I think I'd be willing to try.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I've thought about the model 69 as well. I have a model 696 which is dimensionally very similar to the 69 although the latter comes in two barrel length options, 2.75 and 4" as opposed to the 696 which comes only with a 3" barrel. Although some have said the forcing cone skirt of the 696 is prone to cracking with heavier loads, others say there's not a problem. Several custom ammunition manufacturers state that a 240 gr jacketed bullet going up to 1,000 fps is safe in any modern .44 spl. Obviously there's no such issue with the model 69 and the weight of the 2.75" model 69 is actually an ounce or two less than the 696.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

In a defensive handgun I’m always concerned with “bullet walk out”….I’ve experienced a lot of that over the years but all with play loads.

My carry gun, a 642 Smith I make sure of a tight crimp as I use 200 grain bullets.

Oh well, to each his own…..I consider a carry gun as cheap life insurance and I plan on paying the best insurance and another 8 ounces won’t break me…..but…….just my opinion.——006
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Definitely a handful with full throttle magnums. Probably quite fun with traditional specials, cowboy loads, or midrange mag loads. They have made 45 acp on this frame which should be manageable too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:05 pm I consider a carry gun as cheap life insurance and I plan on paying the best insurance and another 8 ounces won’t break me…..but…….just my opinion.——006
Yeah - I always figured pick the best gun for the purpose, and figure out a way to just deal with the weight and/or size.

I guess if i took that to an extreme, I'd carry a semiauto 12 gauge shotgun or shorty AR in 45 ACP... :D ,,,but my 'criteria' do require the ability to have it in a holster instead of on a sling, and be able to shoot it with one hand reasonably easily and quickly. So a full size 9 mm or 45 tends to be my portable life insurance.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

JimT wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 am With what little experience I have had, I have noticed over the years that practicing with light ammo and then shooting the heavy stuff for hunting, self-defense etc. is no way a detriment. Whenever I have had to use a handgun in a stressful situation I did not notice the noise or the recoil.

Jim, I have had those same cicadas in my ears since the early 70s. Back then, sadly, it was not "manly" to wear hearing protection.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt ... I grew up around guns and shooting .. started myself in the 1950's. I don't remember anyone using anything for hearing protection ever. It wasn't talked about or discussed. I don't think anyone even thought about it. During my time in the Army we shot everything ... the 1911, the M14, the M60 and the Ma Deuce without any hearing protection. It wasn't considered. In 1969 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. When I touched that thing off my hearing went blank for a few seconds and after it came back I could hear the front bumper on my '64 Ford Fairlane ringing. I started sticking a .38 Special in each ear after that. It took awhile to discover ear plugs and headsets.

I remember George Nonte writing about shooting the .30 Carbine in a converted Colt SAA. He said it was like getting slapped hard in the face with a wet towel while a dynamite cap was exploded in each ear. I agreed with him.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:24 am Walt ... I grew up around guns and shooting .. started myself in the 1950's. I don't remember anyone using anything for hearing protection ever. It wasn't talked about or discussed. I don't think anyone even thought about it. During my time in the Army we shot everything ... the 1911, the M14, the M60 and the Ma Deuce without any hearing protection. It wasn't considered. In 1969 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. When I touched that thing off my hearing went blank for a few seconds and after it came back I could hear the front bumper on my '64 Ford Fairlane ringing. I started sticking a .38 Special in each ear after that. It took awhile to discover ear plugs and headsets.

I remember George Nonte writing about shooting the .30 Carbine in a converted Colt SAA. He said it was like getting slapped hard in the face with a wet towel while a dynamite cap was exploded in each ear. I agreed with him.
Yea Jim....we old timers only used protection if it hurt.....with you it was the 30 carbine and with me it was a snubbie Detective Spl.....I'm 99% deaf in my left ear with 40% in my right ear....even with hearing aids I really have to focus when someone talks. The only phone in the house that I can hear from is one of those closed captioned phones that are advertised on Fox News......It's free and they come out and set it up and if you don't have one take advantage of our worthless governments give away.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am The only phone in the house that I can hear from is one of those closed captioned phones that are advertised on Fox News......It's free and they come out and set it up and if you don't have one take advantage of our worthless governments give away.
I am waiting for the free money. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:22 am I am waiting for the free money. :lol: :D
Sorry Jim…..it’s not going to happen to you or me….no disrespect but we are too white….besides, you know as well as I know that you and I
don't really, honestly care for”free money” as it’s never free…..someone has to give it…..and we prefer to stand on our own two feet and earn what we have…..

I’ve heard it a million times…people say to me, “man! you must be rich to have all those neat old Colts & Winchesters” to which I reply, “no, I’m just a step above poverty….those guns came from wheeling and dealing and always upgrading over a lifetime” . I drove 3 (Three) vehicles in my entire adult life, live in a little house, cut the 4 acres of grass for 30 years with the same JD until I got well into my fifties when life became a bit easier, don’t own a suit that fits me but I’ll wear $400 Redwings, (4 pairs) a thick money belt, a decent hat and not a nickels worth of clothes in between.

I’ve always defined “rich” as how content you are when your head hits the pillow at nighttime and how well your children have done in life..
Guns and material items are really nothing, frivolous chunks of metal with no soul. Your heart comes from within and the ones who know me well will attest to that………I can tell Jim….you and I are in the same boat.——-6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For 6 years I lived with people who have nothing by our standards and most of them were the most content and happy folks I've ever been around. Even living under a Marxist/Socialist government.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, I absolutely agree with you. It's my wife, my kids and one granddaughter who make me rich. I'd be squat without them.

Jim, I started out shooting a bit later in life because my parents and siblings were a bunch of liberals. I remain the family curmudgeon.....but I'm happy.

Speaking of deafening guns, my shooting partner has a .460 S&W with a ported barrel. I seldom shoot at a range, preferring public land but under the roof at the range the concussion is incredible despite the plugs and muffs that I always wear simultaneously.

The first hearing damage I was aware of came from shooting a hot .357 off the roof of my car. There were a couple of steel ammo boxes in front of and to either side of my line of fire and they deflected the concussion back to me. Of course, that was without protection and the cicadas have hung around since.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have had circular saws, skilsaws to some, running in my ears every second of every day since I was 7 or 8 years old. I actually cannot tell if someone is running one unless I see it. I callot tell the difference between a skilsaw and what I normally hear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I admit there are lots of non-shooting activities where hearing protection is strongly recommended. I need to expand my use especially of the electronic muffs. They're wonderful devices.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I especially like ear plugs when some of the family comes for a visit.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My first use of emogies. Yep, pretty funny, Jim
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Walt wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:19 am Okay, I see (I think). I interpreted the "Special" in the description to mean .44 special but it's a Magnaport Special. Still, an odd barrel length. It must predate the Lew Horton series.
Yes. It did predate the Lew Horton guns. Magnaport would slick up a 29, chop the barrel and put a locking lug in the crane. The ejector rod was no longer locked at the end. The grip frame would be cut down to accept a Pachmar K frame Compac grip. The guns were ported and given an electroless nickle finish.

Lee Roy Thompson had a pair and wrote about them in some of the lesser gun magazines of the late 1970s into the 1980s.

It shoots every bit as good as a four inch 29. Muzzle flash is impressive!