Recommended Book

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Recommended Book

Post by JimT »

For those that love history of the old West I am suggesting "A LITTLE WAR OF OUR OWN" by Don Dedera. I have had this book in my library for many many years and at times still dig it out and read it. The book is an in-depth look into the Pleasant Valley War (also known as the Graham-Tewksbury Feud) that took place in Arizona. This blood feud was literally to the last man and inspired a book of that name by Zane Grey. This was such a long and extensive fight it makes most other feuds look like a mere skirmish. Yet it is largely unknown today.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Recommended Book

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the heads up Jim, sounds mighty interesting... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Suggesting a book title like that to me is like offering a pint of Jack Daniels to an alcoholic.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:19 pm .
Suggesting a book title like that to me is like offering a pint of Jack Daniels to an alcoholic.... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Jim! :D
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That is a good one, thanks for the reminder that I should revisit it. My Ex's family was from that part of the territory and was familiar with a lot of the characters involved. Matter of fact, her great-great grandmother was "the Plucky Landlady" (of the Will Barnes story) at the Apache Hotel in Holbrook.

I believe that the site of the final killing of the feud is somewhere under the Broadway Curve on I-10 now.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. The same grandmother who grew up on a ranch on the Canadian near the Dixon place married a Tennessean who then set out for a ranch north of Young, in the basin. When it came time to give birth, grandfather took grandmother by buckboard up to one of the rim towns -- Holbrook, Payson -- to deliver. I don't think grandma ever forgave him for the isolation she endured on that ranch. Didn't want to be buried anywhere near him.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 am Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. The same grandmother who grew up on a ranch on the Canadian near the Dixon place married a Tennessean who then set out for a ranch north of Young, in the basin. When it came time to give birth, grandfather took grandmother by buckboard up to one of the rim towns -- Holbrook, Payson -- to deliver. I don't think grandma ever forgave him for the isolation she endured on that ranch. Didn't want to be buried anywhere near him.
I have run around that country when I was young. Used to camp and hunt on Aztec Peak .. on the old Peterson place that is mentioned in the book. This is a photo (not mine) take from the Ranger station on top of Aztec Peak looking South. The far mountains are in Mexico. Someplace in between them and the vantage point is Tucson.
from Aztec Peak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I knew a Tewksbury up here in North Dakota who was related to those in the feud. He is still alive in his 90s. He ran a Bible camp and was (is) a Godly man.