Shooting my 348

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Shooting my 348

Post by geobru »

Yesterday was the nicest day of the year so far. It was 65 degrees and sunny, so I took advantage of the weather and shot some of the test loads I wanted to try in my new to me Model 71.
pix751240763.jpg
The sun is still pretty low in the sky here and I shot the first group facing the sun at a range of 83 yards. I couldn't see the red circle very clearly, so I aimed at the middle of the top of the paper and shot the 1.25" group in the upper right. This load used 200 grain cast bullets from the Bullshop in Montana with Sixgun's recipe of 22 grains of 5744. Velocity averaged ~1500 fps.

Due to the sun making it hard to see the target circle, I changed positions for the next two groups so I was shooting with the sun at my back. The range was 93 yards in that position. I still didn't have a clean sight picture, but I shot another group with the cast bullets using the 6:00 position on the target as the point of aim. The 1.5" group in the lower right is the result of that effort.
IMG_1993.jpg
It was getting late in the day and the bright sun was really creating a glare on the face of the target and I debated on whether or not to shoot my jacketed bullet test loads. I had 5 loads to test, all with Fury 220 grain jacketed bullets. The powder used was 5744 and started at 30 grains and went to 32 grains in half grain increments. I shot the 30 grain load which is the group in the middle of the target. Those results stopped my testing because I had previously shot a 1.3" group at 75 yards with that load a few weeks ago. Velocity averaged ~1800 fps.

I really like Sixgun's load with the cast bullets. THANK YOU SIX!

I still have a lot of work to do with the jacketed bullets. However, I am really satisfied with the accuracy of this rifle. I just wish I had 20 year old eyes again. These 70+ year old eyes get me by, but I know that I can't take full advantage of the accuracy of this gun with open sights. It does amaze me at how accrately I can sometimes shoot even with a fuzzy sight picture!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Shooting my 348

Post by Sixgun »

You’re welcome Geo bro!

If you’re getting older and the eyes don’t see as well, use WHITE WHITE WHITE paper/ cardboard with a 4 inch BLACK square. It contrasts with a definitive edge. The paper color on regular targets like yours is actually hard to see and the red blends in with it easily especially if you’re colorblind like me.

Yea, I’d say you got yourself a shooter there. My .348 is one of my most accurate leverguns and I used it for many years with cast bullets for competitive silhouette…..

Don’t forget to loosen up the forend tip screws and make sure nothing is hitting the barrel as it heats up.———-006
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A four inch black square is my preferred paper target at long range. Glad you got out to shoot.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I use the cheapest white paper plates with building paper as a background 100's of targets for small dollars...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I use a roll of brown craft paper or red rosin paper. Make any size ya want and I just draw on a square with a black marker. Or tear off a hunk of duct tape.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

That's a good day right there. Thank you for fanning the flames of desire for a model 71 😂
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What Mr. Rider said. 8)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good shootin'!!

Last time I fired mine was in October of 2009. Into the chest of a young bull moose. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good shooting by you and the rifle.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I print my own targets after creating them in Microsoft Word. I normaally use hunter orange, but that day I only had red targets, which my eyes have trouble seeing in certain light conditions.
I opted for orange because I have trouble differentiating between the Black front sight and the black target. I'll have to print up some squares of varying colors to see if that helps my sight picture.

I wasn't too concerned about the gun shooting to the right because I am switching the front sight to a shorter Marbles 1/16' white bead. That should help with the sight picture plus I'll be able to drop the rear sight down so the reference lines on the site base more closely correspond to the actual shooting distance. As it is, the peep is raised above the line labelled 300 on the sight base.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

a 348 is one i always wanted to add to the quiver . Great shooting !
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

For $4500 this could be yours or anyone you want it to be….3 digit number (first two months of production up with bolt peep and deluxe) and 98%…….I’ve never shot it after 20+ years.

Model A Uzi’s
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:50 pm For $4500 this could be yours or anyone you want it to be….3 digit number (first two months of production up with bolt peep and deluxe) and 98%…….I’ve never shot it after 20+ years.

Beautiful!

Due to a Colt revolver purchase i detailed in another thread, i am a bit out of gun funds for a bit and sadly, if i were to aquire something like that, i would be afraid it would be more for "lookin at" than actually using. I mentioned in that thread that i was coming out of a depressing time, - and its due to a bunch of orthopedic surgeries . Took a truck load of leverguns to the Whittington Center 5 years back to have some fun shooting but wound up shooting M1A's and revolvers the whole trip after a few punishing shots out of my big bores -- even a 30/30 was very painful with a crescent buttplate - and it was one of those 26" Canadian Centennial octagon barrel jobs :shock:

But how is the recoil of a .348 compared to an '86 in 45/70 with say - a mid tier load like the Hornady FTX stuff?
----- Doug
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Streetstar,
Comparing my Model 71 to my Mirokuchester ‘86 EL, the .348 definitely kicks harder to me, at least comparing 200 gr .348 silver tips to 300 grain JHP rounds in the 86. With full power loads after about a box the .348 isn’t very much fun in my opinion. The .348 recoil feels sharper than the shove of the 45-70.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Like Bridger says…..it all depends on the load……..a full load in any 348 is gonna bark…..a full load in any 45-70 is also gonna bark…..but more due to the weight of the bullet……..it’s got something to due with physics which is over my head…….I’ve shot full loads of 45-70’s with 400 gr bullets in 6 lb rifles that will jump out of your hands..not cool by any means.

I’ve shot 460 Weatherbys and .378 Weatherbys….the 378 is a bit scary to shoot…….even a 250 gr bullet out of a 7 lbs 35 Whelen traveling 2500 will beat you down real fast…….

I don’t fool with the “man loads”….perfectly happy with a 150 gr bullet going 2400…..
Model A Uzi’s
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:50 pm For $4500 this could be yours or anyone you want it to be….3 digit number (first two months of production up with bolt peep and deluxe) and 98%…….I’ve never shot it after 20+ years.

Oh my!!! Beautiful! 🍻