Long forgotten WWII history story.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Long forgotten WWII history story.....

Post by jnyork »

WWII history buffs might enjoy reading this little article, events mostly lost in the mists of time:

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/03/18 ... ld-war-ii/
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Long forgotten WWII history story.....

Post by TraderVic »

Interesting.....first I've ever heard or read about this. Thanks for the link.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

If you ever find yourself stuck somewhere down in the South Pacific sometime and your feet get soaked and start looking kind of funky, do what the Docs found out from the natives when asked what they did to keep their feet in good shape, PEE ON THEM! This happened on Guadal Canal (sp?) after the island had been taken from the Japanese and was being used as an RnR and training base. Maybe that's one thing Les Stroud, the Survivor Man, should have learned before getting stuck on Papua New Guinea for a week!

Back before WWII got started, my Grandfather bought himself a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 30 Govt '06, it even had a cutout for the use of 5rd stripers. Back then he worked for the Southern Pacific railroad as a steam engine driver. (Check out the Burt Lancaster movie 'The Train'.) Anyway, after the war started he was assigned the job of taking provisions to the Japanese internment camps in Northern California and likely had his 30/06 with him during that time as there's a bunch of dings on the barrel and stock.

Another story bit I read somewhere took place again in the South Pacific sometime in 1943 or 1944. A P-38 pilot coming back from a mission was wounded and requested emergency landing and was told to orbit near the base as there were a bunch of other planes coming in that were short of fuel. He did as ordered and crashed soon after passing out due to lack of blood.

Hope you guys didn't mind too much me adding those bits of info here.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for that tid-bit of history. I had never heard of it before either.
JMick
Levergunner

Post by JMick »

Thanks for posting the article. I don't know how I missed it, I read that edition this week.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That P38 pilot was William Sells. He was the first plane in the air to stop a massed Japanese attack which was intent on wiping out the base. The Japanese credited him with 7 Zeroes and 3 bombers before he ran out of ammunition. 1 more bomber when he caught the windshield of the bomber with a wingtip and the pilot went into a dive he could not pull out of. By that time, the other P38s were scrambling. While circling, he passed out or died from blood loss and crashed. He saved the base at Kwajalein.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks for letting me know what really happened that day and who the pilot was, Piller. History deserves to be remembered!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Maybe last month's ccp spy balloon is , was a "test run"
Rumble.com/ hickock45
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan

https://a.co/d/6vGyObB

Horses were used by the 1st troops on the ground in Afghanistan after 9/11
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

JN, howd yer winter go? Great story, I read alot about forgotten histry.. Thanks forsharing.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!