Gun Death statistics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Gun Death statistics

Post by earlmck »

My local news web site, being CNN affiliated, likes to run gun-control related articles. So I was just perusing the latest which summarized state-by-state data for the years 2017 through 2021. 209,000 total deaths for the five year period, so a bit over 40,000 per year. Interesting to me that homicides make up only 39% of these deaths, and their "homicide" category would lump together self-defense and murders.

Suicides accounted for 58% of the deaths, and the claim is that firearms make up the largest percentage of total suicides. I guess I am finding that hard to believe, as it doesn't fit with my (extremely limited) personal knowledge. Of the four suicides with which I am familiar only one was with a gun and the others were pills and so vastly less messy. One of these was entered onto the death certificate as a suicide (hard to miss as she had all her paperwork -- medical report, medical directive, goodbye note --- clutched in her hand as she went to sleep). The other two were merely speeding up the "end-of-life" process of folks with serious illnesses and weren't entered as suicides on the death certificate. Which my guess happens very commonly, and I would like to take advantage of the same procedure if I am in that situation. Seems ridiculous to go through a miserable painful process when these little pills can make it so much nicer.

Anyway, here I sit surprised that something over 20,000 folks per year choose to end their days with something as messy (with the occasional oopsy-missy) as a gun when the much less messy option that lets you go to sleep and just fail to wake up is readily available. The CDC is lathered up about this "epidemic" of "gun violence". Looks like they could cut this horrible violence by more than half by promoting the pill option. And maybe make the "LD50" dosages a little easier to find on the internet so you know when you have enough to be sure of doing the job. I know that was a concern for my wife, so she used the entire bottle of a new prescription of oxycodone. Turned out to be plenty.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Death statistics

Post by Ray »

My belated condolences for your personal loss. If you have mentioned it before I must have missed it. God bless and comfort.
m.A.g.a. !
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yes, sorry to hear it, Earl. Suicide is rife with complex issues but the ones it hurts the most are the survivors. My family has a rich history of suicides; i have lost a grandparent, the ex-husband of a wife, the ex-husband of a stepmother as well as my own mother. Pretty selfish in my opinion but mostly just sad.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Condolences to those have lost friends and family. I agree and think of suicide, especially conspicuous self-violent versions, as a hate crime against the survivors. Not in every case of course. But the losers are the families. It would be way more considerate to just disappear oneself, but I don't know of any.

I have read CDC stats that support the use of firearms in suicides. If the books weren't cooked the grabbers would have to take cars away from people to control the mass murder taking place on the highways.... plus some car wrecks may be suicides, like Thelma & Louise. and of course the inevitable copy-catters that think "that looks like the right way to do it". OofDa

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Grizz wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:12 pm suicide, especially conspicuous self-violent versions, as a hate crime against the survivors. Not in every case of course. But the losers are the families. It would be way more considerate to just disappear oneself, but I don't know of any.
I hadn't thought of that Grizz -- sure, the firearms route must be a whole different statement than the pill route. Like you say, an attack on the survivors. The pill route is much closer to your "disappear oneself" method, and so much less traumatic on the survivors.

I couldn't blame my girl for what she did -- she had endured the pain from a ruptured disc for months as the medical bureaucracy ambled along with one three-week out appointment after another. 15 years ago when I had a ruptured disc my chiropractor figured it out about the third visit, got me an MRI and an appointment with the best neurosurgeon, so I had to endure the pain for about 10 days total (on the 1 to 10 scale of pain the disc pressing on the sciatic nerve is right up there. The girl told me it was equal to childbirth and was actually much worse because the childbirth pain was only a short-term pain and the ruptured disc pain just kept on and on). The surgeon looked at my MRI on a Friday and said "We'll get you fixed on Monday morning" which disappointed me 'cause I was hoping he would say "bend over and I'll cut you right now". Under the present medical bureaucracy when the girl was practically screaming and losing bladder control they declared an "emergency" which allowed them to schedule her a mere 8 days out. And then the surgery failed.

So -- if you are right as I suspect your are Grizz, probably we can't reduce "gun violence" by suggesting the pill route, since that wouldn't satisfy the mayhem desires of those choosing the gun suicide route. Well, at least the gun route is probably kinder than the automobile crash route.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I was reading about the Midazolam murders by England’s NHS during the pland$emic. They give precise directions on how to do it and it sounds pretty easy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

In the early seventies I drove an ambulance for a couple of years. It seems to me that the pill overdoses were the most common with self-inflicted gunshots not far behind. Then came suicide by car including wrong-way drivers, suicide by police, hangings, jumping from bridges and hotels, even intentional electrocutions. A woman who had attempted suicide by cutting her wrists told me that the next time, she would inject an air bubble into a vein because she had seen on Dr Kildare that it was a viable method of offing oneself. Yeah, right.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Not too long ago my brother-n-law took his own life and gave it back to God. He had been in severe pain for several years and it was getting worse. He had gone from 175 lbs. down to about 95 and could not do much of anything. He used his .22 pistol and did a clean job of it. No mess for the family.

And a very close friend ... one that I had done a Safari in South Africa with ... retired cop ... Veteran ... had severe medical issues. The VA cut his meds and he was in horrible pain. Did the same as my brother-in-law and went out peacefully. He had just had enough.

I am not suggesting that anyone else try it or use that method ... just reporting what happened with two close friends. I don't think I would choose to end things but sometimes you never know what you will do in the same situation. I don't judge them. And I don't believe God judges them either.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, it takes courage to share the details of such a deeply personal loss. Thank you.
Under the same circumstances, I would probably choose to leave as well.
There are so many experiences and situations that can lead a person to consider ending life -- chronic and severe pain, chronic profound depression, unbearable loneliness, especially with advanced age.
I think the hardest on families is the loss of a young person. A dear friend lost her only son at 17 -- with a 12-gauge, over a girl. She told me she had never seen her father, US Army, Bronze Star in Vietnam, cry, but he sobbed with the news about his beloved grandson.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So sad that the government kills not only via medical bureaucracy, but by enabling violent criminals, by inhibiting self defense, and by encouraging women to 'empower' themselves by having sex with whoever they go on more than one date with, then killing any inconvenient human they create as a result. Of course this is the same bunch in charge who turn a blind eye to a weaponized virus, force the population to take 'cures' that kill, prevents them from taking ones that work, and mandates a deadly and ineffective vaccine.

The fact that the federal government really has no Constitutional authority to regulate 'health care' or 'gun ownership' or 'opioids' or any other 'healthcare' issue seems to have escaped the electorate.
We scream "please protect us" as if the government is the only entity that can do so, when it is clear their 'protection' is worse than doing nothing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK, Doc. That's a good start, but tell us how you Really Feel. Let it all out. You will feel better . . . . . :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I happen to be a genetic dead end. My reactions to medicines are not what is expected in most cases. Midazolam puts me into a total rage. Not quite sure why. Other than the 3 or 4 dozen on this planet like me, midazolam makes most people calm down and go to sleep. It is effective to calm people down before surgery. Just hope that you don't give it to one of us genetic abnormalities.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gun deaths: I once saw an article about gun death among children. Large number until I noticed that children were defined as those between 5 to 25 or 26 years of age.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.