Midway ' seconds ' bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Midway ' seconds ' bullets

Post by GunnyMack »

Last fall I started working up loads for my post 64 model 70 308. Found a decent load with 150s .
So I'm working on 165s with a couple powders and I found Midway had some tipped 165 ' seconds' for 25 bucks/100 so I bought a box.
Kid in a candy store when the big brown truck dropped them off yesterday. When I opened the box I found they are tipped with a dark green tip and have quite a deep crimp groove. Hmm, not a Nosler as they don't have a crimp groove. I read on Midway site these are Sierra tipped Game King but those shown on the Sierra site don't have crimp groove. Weights are pretty consistent at 164.xx .
The tip color is off, apparently that is the reason these are seconds...?
I also got a box of 452s for the Bushmaster, these have higher weight variations, you can see the difference in the exposed lead tips.
So if you buy these ya might be in for a surprise! Hope they shoot well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Midway ' seconds ' bullets

Post by 2ndovc »

I've bought quite a few boxes of their seconds over the years. Haven't seen any real issues. I still have part of a box of 170 gr. .30-30 bullets. All of which have been really consistent weight wise, and accuracy too. Happy to see they are stocking some again.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just before Sierra moved to MO, I was shopping there in CA and looking for some .308 125 HP for the .30-30. They offered a box of 500 of seconds that had failed to get a crimp groove. I think they were like $.20 on the dollar, Yep, I snapped 'em up. They shot just fine, I just crimped into the body where my dies were set. Never had any collapse back into the case. Oh, if they were only local!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I stop in the Sierra factory store often to see what they have literally barrels of in seconds. Sometimes they are seconds not because they are lesser quality. They will make a run of bullets for a new design, or for another ammo maker, Sig for example, then decide to go with some other design. I bought a BUNCH of 90 gr jhp .355 bullets they made for Sig, that were to be the new V Crown bullet. The ones that made it to the loaded ammo were a little different.
NRA Life Member