New Mexico feral cattle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

New Mexico feral cattle

Post by junkbug »

Greetings all. What is the real story behind this recent drama over feral cattle in New Mexico?
It somewhat reminds me of Paco’s story of hunting them, now decades ago. One wonders why that would not be an option again.
Of course there is the real problem that a bunch of bungling buffoons on four wheelers with 6.5mm Creedmores would start crippling and killing legally owns and permitted free-range livestock. I say that partially in jest, but there is a real possibility of something like that happening.
Anyone have any further insight on this?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Mexico feral cattle

Post by wvfarrier »

Because the government is run by idiots
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One might think that they could sell tags and make a profit. :idea:
A medium 'copter could run up to 3,000 an hour to operate, especially with the government paying.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how about branding them and incorporating into the supply chain ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

All valid points but those are common sense ways of fixing a problem... since when does common sense and government go hand in hand?

I remember reading about P.O.Ackley shooting wild burros/ camels in AZ with .17 wildcats. History repeating itself.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

So, they will shoot feral cattle because of damage to the range, but round up feral horses because of damage to the range, and spend billions feeding/sheltering thousands of them. Makes sense from Gov't.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Rockrat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:24 pm So, they will shoot feral cattle because of damage to the range, but round up feral horses because of damage to the range, and spend billions feeding/sheltering thousands of them. Makes sense from Gov't.
Just a few miles from here, they have a wild horse off range corral, up to 3500 horses at any giving time all on 100 acres ( they make it sound wonderfull ) So the strangles moved thru the herd, killed a few but not near enough
You talk about a money pit! them horses should go to the meat market, with the strangles they cant adopt
out any horses until it clears up

ollogger
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Short answer is hunters will not kill all the cattle nearly quickly enough. People aren’t going to buy tags to shoot a cow. they are probably entirely legal to shoot any way provided they aren’t on private land or aren’t tagged or branded. They have been reported to be aggressive to the public, horses not so much. Most hikers, campers, trail riders and the like aren’t going to have a heavy rifle with them and a mean meat bull is definitely a large dangerous animal. The public is used to the idea of bovines being killed but not equines, although I have no problem with at least the culling of either.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

That is probably at the heart of it. Hunting feral cattle would be an equivalent undertaking to hunting elk. Not many people willing to make that investment for a feral cow or bull.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The U.S. Forest Service (or at least that office of it) is totally stoopid. In a previous lifetime I worked for the darn gummint and my job would have been to get those cattle off the range (under the grazing regulations they are trespass cattle, not feral cattle). If I thought it was a bigger job than I could handle personally I would have issued a gathering contract to a local rancher and we'd have taken the cattle to the auction where the money from the sales would have paid the contract and any left over would go to the U.S. Treasury. I know the grazing regulations cover that method -- I'm not so sure about shooting them being within the gvmt guy's authority.

Anyway, if they'd used the correct procedure they wouldn't have even made the local news, let alone the national.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

junkbug wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 am Greetings all. What is the real story behind this recent drama over feral cattle in New Mexico?
It somewhat reminds me of Paco’s story of hunting them, now decades ago. One wonders why that would not be an option again.
Of course there is the real problem that a bunch of bungling buffoons on four wheelers with 6.5mm Creedmores would start crippling and killing legally owns and permitted free-range livestock. I say that partially in jest, but there is a real possibility of something like that happening.

[tinfoilhat] It's merely a way to diminish access to alternative protein sources. Goes hand in hand with the current chicken plague and food processing plant fires.[/tinfoilhat]
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I would hazard a guess that hunting feral cattle would be more akin to hunting cape buffalo. Then again, I might be wrong about that, never having hunted either. The most dangerous animal I've ever hunted was a raccoon! :shock:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what about wanton wastes laws?

no such law in NM?

OR is this a precursor to eliminating non-branded humans??

like the russians are doing

curiosity wants to know

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

junkbug wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 am
Sounds just like some of the out-of-state "hunters" that show up in Wyoming every fall, not saying we don't have home-grown ones. You can see some truely amazing and disgusting sights without having to search too hard.

"OK, OK, lady, it's your elk, you shot it, you can have it. Just let me get my saddle off him first." :roll: