A liking for .35 caliber.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

A liking for .35 caliber.....

Post by Ray »

A recent experience with sticker shock for thompson center contender/g2/encore frames prompted me to dig about in the ray cave.

I found.....
10" iron-sighted blued .357 magnum.
10" scoped stainless .357 magnum.
10" scoped stainless .357 maximum.
8" scoped stainless 9x19mm match grade ssk.
16" scoped stainless .35 remington.

And several other calibers/chamberings with at least two still missing if memories are not amiss.....
IMG_20230223_153948424~2.jpg
Hope to slay some sort of beast(s) with a .357 mag.and or max. come nov.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A liking for .35 caliber.....

Post by AJMD429 »

There is a 358 BOSS that is a monster for the top end

I'll bet that 9x19 is kind of interesting. I've always wondered the potential of that cartridge in a match-grade gun like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:00 am .
There is a 358 BOSS that is a monster for the top end

I'll bet that 9x19 is kind of interesting. I've always wondered the potential of that cartridge in a match-grade gun like that.
Minute of pizza box at 40 paces in my caffeine and early on-set dementia addled hands :)

I cannot seem to find anything on the boss cartridge on a quick internet search.....
m.A.g.a. !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Yeah, sticker shock is right. I've never yet picked up a Contender frame or any of the others. Had a craving for a 10" 38 spl with iron sights for a long time, but not likely to ever scratch that itch, not unless I stumble on one like a blind squirrel with an acorn. Anyway, shot one in Raton one year, a lovely bit of ordnance. In the 357 Max a 16 - 18" barrel would be dandy with a butt stock, a nice compact and reasonably powerful carbine.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Did not intend to infer above that I had that many frames or assembled pistols. It was just the barrels that I found. I only have two 1980s era contender frames.....A stainless set-up for carbine use and a blued one for short barrels.

The CVA seems to be the only alternative, if and until someone restarts T.C. Arms. Those CVAs are H E A V Y .

Heavier than the encore with similar dimensioned barrels.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The CVA IS heavy. Mine is in 6.5 Grendel, so the smaller hole adds to the heft. I wish the Contender hadn't been allowed to die. My first one I bought the 8-inch octagon barrel in .44 Magnum -- and a 10-inch bull in .30 Herrett.
Oh the humanity when first lighting off that .44 barrel, which was woefully light for caliber. It nearly drove the grip through my hand. :lol:
Really enjoyed the Herrett, which I loaded up and fitted out just like Bob Milek's.
I never did get to mess with the .357 Maximum, but always thought it would be perfect out of the Contender, as would a 12- or 16-inch barrel in the new .360 Buckhammer.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Also ran.....
But prefer the .35 Whelen in a custom pre-64 Model 70 with an almost Super Grade stock. With Nosler or Swift bullets,
it becomes almost a Rigby magazine rifle in .350 Rigby with steel cased solids."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never done much with a .357" cartridge beyond loading for various S&W revolvers I own in .38 Special or .357 Magnum. But I will soon be working up loads for my Roller in .35 Maynard that's a .357" groove diameter, and using a 190 gr. cast lead bullet. So testing what it likes best is going to begin once the weather here is a bit warmer, and roads passable!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

here's one of mine, 15 inch .35 Rem Rimmed with 2X Leupold:
TC 35Rem-R.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Ray wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:44 am Did not intend to infer above that I had that many frames or assembled pistols. It was just the barrels that I found. I only have two 1980s era contender frames.....A stainless set-up for carbine use and a blued one for short barrels.

The CVA seems to be the only alternative, if and until someone restarts T.C. Arms. Those CVAs are H E A V Y .

Heavier than the encore with similar dimensioned barrels.
Shucks, I figured from the picture you only had one frame. :-)

I like my CVA Scout in 35 Whelen, haven't seen any of the pistols though. That Scout isn't very heavy for a rifle. It's the only rifle I've ever gotten "scope eye" from. There is NO room to fudge when you're shooting one in 35 Whelen. I looked around and got a scope with about a 4" eye relief and have been quite happy with it. What calibers do they have in their pistols?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

From the factory website circa 2015.....

"its available in .243, .44 Mag, .357 Mag and .300 blackout."

I've also seen .223 and both 6.5 grendel and creedmore and .350 legend and of course, .50 muzzleloader.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/cva ... ol-pp221sm

The muzzleloader points and balances well due to its barrel hollowness.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I've found some of these.....
IMG_20230224_143449928~2.jpg
I hope they work in the 1 in 14" twist maximum barrel.....
m.A.g.a. !
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 am The CVA IS heavy. Mine is in 6.5 Grendel, so the smaller hole adds to the heft. I wish the Contender hadn't been allowed to die. My first one I bought the 8-inch octagon barrel in .44 Magnum -- and a 10-inch bull in .30 Herrett.
Oh the humanity when first lighting off that .44 barrel, which was woefully light for caliber. It nearly drove the grip through my hand. :lol:
Really enjoyed the Herrett, which I loaded up and fitted out just like Bob Milek's.
I never did get to mess with the .357 Maximum, but always thought it would be perfect out of the Contender, as would a 12- or 16-inch barrel in the new .360 Buckhammer.
Bill, my first Contender setup was in .44 mag with the 10" octagonal barrel on the original wooden grips and iron sights. Talk about being painful to shoot, especially with hot factory ammo. I still have a ten inch .30 Herrett with a 4x scope on it but now with rubber grips and forend. I also have a 14" 223 barrel with scope and a skinny barrel in .22 mag. I've killed quite a few coyotes with the .223. Very accurate gun but I seldom shoot it.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

SSK is supposed to be finally shipping their newly built Contender frames (SSK50). During the teaser about 3 years back they were priced at $275.No idea what any subsequent runs will be priced at, but I'd sure like one. A .357 Max carbine could cover a lot of ground with the option for 38/357 standard thrown in. A 32H&R would be pretty neat too.

I've got a Encore, mainly purchased for the muzzleloader format that I've never really bonded with.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, that .44 barrel I had might well have been 10 inches. I think I only shot it three or four times -- factory Remington 240s. One shot was all that was needed before my smarter pals had had enough! :lol: