Question for gamekeeper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Question for gamekeeper

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GK, is this video accurate (progression of English flags)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr2t4vyHxNI

I try to work on my family tree in Ancestry a bit every evening. When I don't have family photos for one of my relatives, I'll put the flag of their country in place of such a picture. I want to make sure I have the right flag for England circa 1600 - 1850. I know it changed during that time, in general going from St. George's cross, to incorporating St. Andrew's cross (with Scotland coming into what would become the UK), then St. Patrick's cross (with Ireland coming in) to yield the current Union Jack. But there are so many conflicting dates on the internet that I figured it was best to ask a true Brit! :D

Thanks!

YK
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Question for gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well Jay the short answer is "I haven't got a clue".. :oops: the current Union Flag and the Cross of St George are the only flags I know.
But talking of family ancestry I wouldn't mind betting that you are connected to the Gun Powder Plot, true, I was told many years ago by an expert on the subject that the spelling of your surname could have been changed around the 1600s in Ireland.

BTW I never considered myself a true Brit as I was born in an American Cedar wood house shipped over from the states to England during the First World War..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GK. Was that a Seats or. Montgomery Ward box house?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:34 am GK. Was that a Seats or. Montgomery Ward box house?
I don't know who Lord Austin bought them from but he had them built in 1917 for the workers at the Austin car factory. They were known locally as the Canadian bungalows but I heard they actually came from Michigan USA. The whole estate of these Cedar wood houses still stand in good condition today.
Just googled it and they were from the Aladdin company in Bay City, Michigan.
austinvillage-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

The Union Flag dates from 1606 and was changed in 1801 to include the red saltire cross of St Patrick's Flag for Ireland.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispe ... n_Flag.htm

https://www.royal.uk/union-jack
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:34 am But talking of family ancestry I wouldn't mind betting that you are connected to the Gun Powder Plot, true, I was told many years ago by an expert on the subject that the spelling of your surname could have been changed around the 1600s in Ireland.
Well, if it has to do with gun powder... :wink:
gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:34 am BTW I never considered myself a true Brit as I was born in an American Cedar wood house shipped over from the states to England during the First World War..... :D
We claim you for sure John! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like the rest of the normal nations, we will soon to have an “universal flag”…..

The rainbow flag.
Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:21 pm Like the rest of the normal nations, we will soon to have an “universal flag”…..

The rainbow flag.
PUKE!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well Kid…..it’s what they want……..00000000000001 percent of the population to rule the rest……sickens me too bro.—-00
Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bruce Scott wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:57 pm The Union Flag dates from 1606 and was changed in 1801 to include the red saltire cross of St Patrick's Flag for Ireland.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispe ... n_Flag.htm

https://www.royal.uk/union-jack
Thanks Bruce.

So, pre-1606, St. George's cross. From 1606 - 1801 it was the combination of St. George's and St. Andrew's cross. After 1801 it included St. Patrick's cross, becoming the Union Jack we know today.

With all these Christian crosses, you'd think the country would be nicer to Christians... :roll: :evil:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:00 pm Well Kid…..it’s what they want……..00000000000001 percent of the population to rule the rest……sickens me too bro.—-00
Me too Six. Me too. :evil:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:21 pm Like the rest of the normal nations, we will soon to have an “universal flag”…..

The rainbow flag.
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting Bruce .
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...