The old H&R Pistol is Coming Along!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The old H&R Pistol is Coming Along!

Post by JimT »

I am about at the point to start putting it back together. There are pits in some of the chambers but there is no problem getting the shells in and out. There is pitting on one side of the rifling at the muzzle and we will see if that hurts accuracy much. ;-)
IMG_4848.JPG
The big problem is the cylinder hand. It's toast. I am gonna need to find another one. It's a little bitty thing maybe an inch and a quarter long. If you have something similar in your junk drawer I would be interested.
IMG_4849.JPG
One way or another, I am gonna shoot this thing one of these days!

I think .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: The old H&R Pistol is Coming Along!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the progress on this project Jim! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you could get at least a rough idea of the dimensions of the cylinder hand you could probably make one out of reasonably mild steel.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I probably could ... but I would rather not IF I have choice. :)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, you took on a serious project with that little revolver -- in that shape. If the pitting near the muzzle does affect accuracy, could you counterbore it?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:28 am Jim, you took on a serious project with that little revolver -- in that shape. If the pitting near the muzzle does affect accuracy, could you counterbore it?
I probably could. I don't plan to shoot anything but round balls in it so we will see what happens if/when I get that far. Sometimes pitting doesn't really hurt that much ... but being at the muzzle on one side is "iffy" to my way of thinking. Time will tell.

I've seen old Colt's that were in worse shape brought back to the point where they were shootable again ... but then they are worth much more money than an old H&R. :D

This is just a "I wonder if I can do this?" project.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:55 pm The big problem is the cylinder hand. It's toast. I am gonna need to find another one. It's a little bitty thing maybe an inch and a quarter long. If you have something similar in your junk drawer I would be interested.
Hi Jim:

I'm about to head out for the weekend (Primitive Biathlon over in VT), but I'll try to remember to take a look soon, as I have a small pile of H&R parts somewhere... (Where???) For sure, you need a hand for the H&R "Auto Ejecting" series -- note there is no cylinder bolt and no bolt recess on the cylinder -- so it is only pressure from the trigger to the hand that holds the cylinder in position (in time). There is no bolt "lock" like on a S&W or Colt.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks for looking. I appreciate it.

I pushed couple .375" round balls through the barrel to see how badly the pitting marked them. Then I pushed a 160 gr. RNFP .38/.357 bullet through the bore and was surprised to find that the .358" bullet was a very tight fit! The .38 S&W is listed as having a bullet diameter of .361" but this bore much tighter than that. .357"/.358" bullets fit it pretty well.

Two photos of the same bullet ... different lighting to show the marks better ..
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Numrich actually shows a couple of H&R hand/springs in stock but I'm not top-break savvy enough to know if they're the correct part.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The Numrich ones aren't the one I need .. BUT .. I did find a cylinder hand and ordered it. Now I need a mainspring. So far I haven't found one. I may have to order one that I can cut down.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:59 pm The Numrich ones aren't the one I need .. BUT .. I did find a cylinder hand and ordered it. Now I need a mainspring. So far I haven't found one. I may have to order one that I can cut down.
Jimbo,
Somehow this junk got mixed in with my Colt & Smith parts.—-006

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

WOW!
That looks like it.
I will PM my address.
Let me know what I owe you.
Nath