MP Molds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

MP Molds

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Today I received a bullet mold from MP Molds. Ordered it on 2/2, which is PDQ coming from Europe (Slovenia). First impression is wow, this is a very nice mold! A solid piece of brass. I ordered a hollow-based .38/.357-caliber (.359") 2-cavity mold. It came with three pin insert sets (2 styles of hollow-base pins and a blocking pin to create a solid base bullet) + a top punch. Uses Lee 6-cavity mold handles. Can't wait to start casting with this!

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/hg-50- ... vity-mold/
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: MP Molds

Post by samsi »

I've heard good things about MP, that one should be a winner. I've got an old H&G #50 that I've never used, I should fix that.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

MP makes some really good moulds. Have some brass 4 cav. (Heavy!!) and a couple of aluminum 8 cav. Weird, but I can get a mould from MP quicker than I can get a letter from WA state, about 1000 miles away
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now that's cool. I have heard only good things about MP on the Net. I mostly run molds from Accurate -- or Lee -- but will give this outfit a thought for the next one.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for letting us know of the MP option. I'll have to give them a look next time I order a mould.

I bought some red dot mounts made in Croatia (Rusan brand). They were very well built and more economical than Dockter or some of the other well-known brands.
It's nice to have choices. I prefer to buy USA made products when I can, but when I can't find what I need here.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

There are some really good moulds made today. MP, NOE, Accurate, and Arsenal. I have moulds from all four and consider them top notch moulds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rockrat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:50 am There are some really good moulds made today. MP, NOE, Accurate, and Arsenal. I have moulds from all four and consider them top notch moulds.
The overwhelming majority of mine are Lyman, with a few Hoch, RCBS and Lee.

I have read good things of NOE and Accurate. Not heard anything before about MP and very little about Arsenal. Brooks also makes good specialty moulds.

That MP websire could use a little tweaking, but now I gotta buy a new/old gun so I can go shopping :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have a bunch of Lee, mainly 6 cavity, some from group buys over at castboolits, but mainly now its one of the four I mentioned. Al Nelson, over at NOE and Tom, at Accurate, are good people. Have had great service from Miha (MP) and good moulds from Arsenal (think I have 6 of theirs). I use to get Saeco, Lyman and RCBS moulds, but nowadays its usualy one of the four mentioned, unless its a used mould I want to try.

Brooks does make great molds too, but IIRC, not the 5 or 6 cavity I usually use.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm assuming they say the hollow base version is only for gallery loads just because high pressure might blow a hole through the center of the bullet and leave it in the bore...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Pieces of the bullet skirt can separate and stick in the barrel.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:46 pm .
I'm assuming they say the hollow base version is only for gallery loads just because high pressure might blow a hole through the center of the bullet and leave it in the bore...???
I bought it for loading a .38 S&W (nominal .361") so the base would expand to engage the rifling. Not a high-power loading. :D

My other intended use will be in a conversion cylinder for a 1851 reproduction, where they recommend you use hollow-base bullets (unless you sleeve the barrel, but I still want to be able to shoot .36-caliber (.375") percussion loads.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rockrat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:50 am There are some really good moulds made today. MP, NOE, Accurate, and Arsenal. I have moulds from all four and consider them top notch moulds.
Almost all of my molds are from Lee Precision. Affordable and I am not casting large amounts. I do have an RCBS mold, and a couple from Russian (round ball for my .69-caliber black powder firearms). This is my first MP Molds bullet mold. And today I just ordered a 2-cavity Accurate Molds for .44 blackpowder cartridge loads, one cavity for a 200-grain bullet, and the other for a 246-grain bullet. Accurate is about 5 weeks out according to their website. Can't wait to get this one in too.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 pm
I bought it for loading a .38 S&W (nominal .361") so the base would expand to engage the rifling. Not a high-power loading. :D

My other intended use will be in a conversion cylinder for a 1851 reproduction, where they recommend you use hollow-base bullets (unless you sleeve the barrel, but I still want to be able to shoot .36-caliber (.375") percussion loads.
These work both ways as well.....

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop/ol ... el-bullets
m.A.g.a. !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 pm My other intended use will be in a conversion cylinder for a 1851 reproduction, where they recommend you use hollow-base bullets (unless you sleeve the barrel, but I still want to be able to shoot .36-caliber (.375") percussion loads.
I just bought a 6-cavity Lee mould of Kaido Ojaama's design for .380 diameter conicals (145gr) to use in my 1851 and 1861 36 caliber revolvers. Eager to try them out.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:51 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 pm

These work both ways as well.....

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop/ol ... el-bullets
I'll have to see if the conversion cylinder an handle a .375" projectile!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:06 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 pm My other intended use will be in a conversion cylinder for a 1851 reproduction, where they recommend you use hollow-base bullets (unless you sleeve the barrel, but I still want to be able to shoot .36-caliber (.375") percussion loads.
I just bought a 6-cavity Lee mould of Kaido Ojaama's design for .380 diameter conicals (145gr) to use in my 1851 and 1861 36 caliber revolvers. Eager to try them out.
Ooh. What is the Lee number on that one?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't think there is a Lee number. You have to buy them directly from Kaido. There are several YouTube videos if you search "kaido bullet"

kaido93@hotmail.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:56 am I don't think there is a Lee number. You have to buy them directly from Kaido. There are several YouTube videos if you search "kaido bullet"

kaido93@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vance, I am eager to hear your reports on the Kaido bullet for your 51 as well. I have a new Pietta 51 on hand, and found a box of pre-cast Kaidos to try. Just haven't gotten around to it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:33 am Vance, I am eager to hear your reports on the Kaido bullet for your 51 as well. I have a new Pietta 51 on hand, and found a box of pre-cast Kaidos to try. Just haven't gotten around to it.
I'll see if I can't find time to play around with my .36 revolvers.
If I do, I'll start a thread.
I'm not very experienced with BP revolvers so I have been slowly accumulating the items I need. Took me a while to find some #10 caps. Elevens were so loose they fell out and jammed the cylinder.
After I got My Kaido 145gr mould I placed it in my reloading room and found another Lee box I didn't remember. It had a 130 gr conical mould for .375 bullets :oops: At least I didn't buy the exact same thing twice....this time.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Vance, if you really want the authentic experience, try this mold:

https://www.erasgonebullets.com/store/p ... idge-works

These are made by Lee Precision. I'm lucky; I bought mine when they were $60 bucks each. This mold drops a bullet based on recovered bullets from the era, so are historically accurate. 126 grains. These are the ones I use when making paper cartridges. I love them.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I am not well-versed enough in BP revolvers to be a stickler for historical accuracy .
The 145 gr Kaido bullets are known for a hard hitting shape that makes a hole in a target similar to a wadcutter.
Time to play is a most valuable asset I don't have much of right now.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I have a number of MP moulds and as others have mentioned the build quality and engineering is great. The major attraction is his take on how he makes multiple cavity HP moulds. I have bought mine via group buys on the Castboolits forum. This may not be a quick process, however the designs are initiated by forum members and then peer reviewed by those interested.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My Lee Precision mold handles arrived from MidwayUSA yesterday, and fit the MP Molds like a glove. I can't wait to give this one a whirl! :D