Reloading the Smith & Wesson 44 American

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading the Smith & Wesson 44 American

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Some time back I purchased a S & W pistol in 44 American. The firearm is in good condition and the bore is like factory new. Most of the information on the net is based on reloading the 44 American with 41 magnum brass. My cylinder will accept 44 Special cases which is a better fit than 41 magnum. I load 22 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 powder and have had no problem using Old West's bullet for the caliber. However, this bullet casts the heel base at 0.417 inches in diameter. This leaves the bullet a lot of "wiggle" room in the 44 Special case. To make this combination work requires a "gosh awful" crimp which is at the limits of Old West's crimp dies capabilities. The Winchester 44 Special case mouths accept a 0.427 inch plug gauge nicely. I am wondering, if I purchase a mold in 44 American configuration but with the mold casting bullets at the heel at 0.427-0.429 inches diameter will I run into trouble with this idea. I can't see a problem but often others see issues I over look. Thanks!
ole pizen slinger
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Reloading the Smith & Wesson 44 American

Post by 765x53 »

I don't know anything about reloading the .44 American but, would .44 Russian brass be a better fit? ----- https://www.starlinebrass.com/44-russian-brass
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I have no idea about the 44 Russian version. Someone with more knowledge than me will have to chime in. I do know that the Russian version has the bullet fit inside the case like our more modern cartridges. Thus the 44 Russian probably has a diameter of .429 where as the 44 American has the heel inside the case with the rest of the bullet at .434 diameter.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The .44 Russian was the first inside-lubricated cartridge, originating in 1870. It was an improvement over the .44 American, that was a heel-based bullet with exterior lubrication. The heel should be about .429" (I'm not looking at the specs), with the bullet diameter at the base above the heel being .440". Given that, a .429 diameter bullet would probably not be overly accurate, unless you used a pure lead projectile with a hollow base. The .44 American is the parent case for the .44 Russian, and that the parent case for the .44 Special, and that the parent case for the .44 Magnum. :D
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

When Mike Venturino did the 44 American he used the RCBS American mold that cast at .423, and he reported that it shot fine in his gun. (bore diameter not mentioned but assumed smaller than the .434 nominal from the 44 American specs) He did use cut down .41 brass and RCBS dies.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ole Pizen: I can send you a virgin Starline .44 Russion case if it would be of any help. Just PM me your mailing address.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Would this bullet mold do the trick?

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_de ... et=43-237D