Paterson Revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Paterson Revolvers

Post by Griff »

I believe this forum has possibly the best "brain trust" on the internet on things gun related. I have a pair of Pietta Paterson revolvers.  They are at a gunsmith and he asked if I'd like to have a "ramp" cut into the cylinder, ala, later Colt revolvers.  Has anyone seen or heard of this modification or were any done this way be the factory.  The Paterson has a round bolt and it fits into a round hole on the cylinder, no ramp.  I've wanted to shoot frontiersman with these since I got them 3 years ago... but they've not worked well enough to not be extremely frustrating.  One has only had two rounds shot out of it, locks up tighter'n a well diggers behind after one shot.  Been back to be repaired twice.  Both times in pieces, because after I got it apart, I couldn't get it back together.  I love my 1851s, but the Patersons have "style points" out the wazzoo!  If I could shoot a whole match (regional, national or worlds with them), I'd be a winner, no matter where I placed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Paterson Revolvers

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi Griff. As you know, Colt recognized the round bolt and bolt stop was one of the weak points (or, perhaps, Samuel Walker recognized this :wink: ), and these were changed to oval stops, then, in pretty quick order, changed to the rectangular stops that are ramped... a design now 170 years old or so. :D I have no doubt this would improve functionality, but I don't remember ever seeing a picture of an original so modified (probably because better handguns came out 12 years after the Paterson). Of course, someone probably did way back when... I also agree with you this would cut down the originality/cool factor significantly. I won't do it to my Pietta Paterson... I just shoot my better designs (like the 1851 or 1860) much more often! :D
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Mike, Goon's Gun Works, has my Pietta Patterson from the 90s to rework. This revolver has had a myriad of problems since it came out of the box and I've never shot it. I told him to give it the full works and we'll see how it works when I get it back. He did a Walker for me, oval bolt stops, no lead in, and it locks up tighter than the proverable bank vault. No matter how hard and fast I cock it it stops like it hit a brick wall and has no play. It's convinced me that round blot stops work as well as rectangular even with a lead-in.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have never seen a reliable Patterson

I wonder how reliable the original revolvers were?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:54 am I have never seen a reliable Patterson

I wonder how reliable the original revolvers were?
They were reliable enough that Captain Walker was convinced a better gun was needed. :)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had one of these for a while, just for the primitive revolver experience. But despite its history, it was just plain awkward in almost every way. I'll leave it to its glory at the Battle of Bandera Pass.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am I had one of these for a while, just for the primitive revolver experience. But despite its history, it was just plain awkward in almost every way. I'll leave it to its glory at the Battle of Bandera Pass.
It for sure was THE BEST that there was available at the time.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am I had one of these for a while, just for the primitive revolver experience. But despite its history, it was just plain awkward in almost every way. I'll leave it to its glory at the Battle of Bandera Pass.
Bandera Pass is about 20 miles due west of where I sit as the crow flies.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Thank you Col. Sam !

Pvt. Cherry climbed a tree and exclaimed, "Indians ! There must be a thousand of them !"

Capt. Hays ordered, "Get close. Powder burn 'em !"
R (2).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !