50-110 Winchester.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCG
Levergunner

50-110 Winchester.

Post by WCG »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 50-110 Winchester.

Post by RIDERED350r »

I've been following ol Jeremy's Leverguns50 channel for awhile. And while he may be a more experienced handloader than I am, I wouldn't push quite as hard as he does without pressure testing equipment. You are on your own for any kind of smokeless loads for the 50-110 and many other old hyphenated cartridges that never got SAAMI backing. That said, what he accomplishes with the 50-110 is nothing short of astounding. I'd like to get a 50-110 front half made for my Takedown 1886 some time.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I used my ballistic program to determine what would be safe chamber pressure, and velocity for my .50-140 Sharps. I wont use anybody's data unless it was a good friend who could be relied on for safe data.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Video........... That Big Bore stuff is sure fun.! about 25 years ago We had a Model 70 Winchester in .458 mag in the family. what a fine rifle. with 45-70 loads , 300grain bullets it was like a giant .22 . shooting the factory 500grn was a handful . I was good for three shots.....Your Turn. :shock: . At work they had a bunch of display racks made of 3/4" close grained particle board not OSB. I brought a bunch of that home . the factory 505's shot thru 17 pieces of that wood , the wound channel was 3" in diameter . I still have some of those recovered slugs someplace. when it got sold I had flat pockets, and one of the few I wish didn't get away.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

That looked like a fun way to water the lawn. :mrgreen:
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I like his video's, but I would like to see the results at 100 yards rather than 10 yard.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

.45colt wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm Good Video........... That Big Bore stuff is sure fun.! about 25 years ago We had a Model 70 Winchester in .458 mag in the family. what a fine rifle. with 45-70 loads , 300grain bullets it was like a giant .22 . shooting the factory 500grn was a handful . I was good for three shots.....Your Turn. :shock: . At work they had a bunch of display racks made of 3/4" close grained particle board not OSB. I brought a bunch of that home . the factory 505's shot thru 17 pieces of that wood , the wound channel was 3" in diameter . I still have some of those recovered slugs someplace. when it got sold I had flat pockets, and one of the few I wish didn't get away.
Way back in the mid-20th Century, a missionary I knew was called on to put down a feral buffalo bull (water buffalo) that was wreaking havoc in the area. He grabbed his 243 Winchester and went out to take care of business. There was a young Brazilian boy with him, helping him track down the perpetrator when suddenly the old bull popped up and my friend was overwhelmed by the thought - what if I don't get him with my first shot? Will this little 243 put him down NOW? Is this kid going to get stomped? Thankfully things went well and the bull's days of causing problems were over. BUT, the next time he was up north he tossed a 458 Magnum barreled action in the 55 gallon drum they were bringing back with "household goods". Once in country he stocked it and proceeded to set it up for future use. Another missionary I know happened to be there at the time and took his turn shooting off the bench. After a few shots down range he said, "That's not so bad!", then stood up and fell over, punch drunk from the recoil! I often wonder what happened to that rifle as Brazilian legislation was enacted that made even a 22 Winchester Rimfire MAGNUM illegal - no MAGNUMS allowed! I never got the chance to ask, but suspect it ended up in some well healed/connected collector's collection.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

veeman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am I like his video's, but I would like to see the results at 100 yards rather than 10 yard.
I always wonder why guys do these videos showing results at targets or distances we'd never want to shoot at?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

He's got a couple vids of banging a steel at 200yds with the 50-110. But definitely the majority of his stuff is just off the muzzle. I think it's just for the fun of watching the destructive carnage. 10yds or 100yds, that 50-110 is monkey stomping whatever is unlucky enough to be in it's flight path 😂
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Likin ' the penetration of that low and slow black powder load. 8)
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:22 am Likin ' the penetration of that low and slow black powder load. 8)
Ditto that 💯 ✅ 👍😎👍
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Oh man, 450grain bullet at 2400fps. That smokeless load is vigorous ... maybe a bit hot.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

AmBraCol Wrote " Another missionary I know happened to be there at the time and took his turn shooting off the bench. After a few shots down range he said, "That's not so bad!", then stood up and fell over, punch drunk from the recoil! ........... Just saw this today.
When we had that rifle here I was young and still had some upper body mass, I shot it only offhand .It had a receiver sight on it. three shots of the factory was fun. I doubt it would be today for Me . with the 45-70 equivalent loads it was comfortable to shoot . like a 70's truck with a big V-8 in it. what a Gun.