New 22 Long range and Super long range ammo from Lapuaa?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

New 22 Long range and Super long range ammo from Lapuaa?

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, some of my brothers here know I have been working on custom loads in the 22 Magnum thanks to enabling from the many ranchers and 22 Mag fans here. I'm happy to report that the first batch of test ammo is ready to go after modifying a 22 hornet bullet Lee Factory Crimp die and a Hornady (I think it was) bullet seating die originally designed for the 22 Hornet.

New bullets loaded with my powder charge, and with a fresh crimp.

Come to find out, I am not apparently the only one looking at expanding the 22 rimfire. Lapua recently posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w_B3AhN7t4

It is my sincere hope that they do the same with factory 22 Mag ammo, but perhaps something with more juice like what I am making. 22 Mag +P anyone? It already originally had more pressure, its just that someone, somewhere, watered it down.

I'm trying to fix that. Will eventually get a good article on it I hope.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 22 Long range and Super long range ammo from Lapuaa?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well that's interesting. I wonder what the secrets are for superior accuracy out toward 300 meters; 30 to 40 fs extra speed can only be a small part of it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Back when they sold primed .22LR cases my friend bought 1000 and experimented with loading some for accuracy, and long range work. He got a Brooks mold for .22 and also a set of bullet swaging dies to swage his own. He got groups at 300 yds. that could consistently take small game. And at 500 yds. his groups were small enough to keep all his shots on a 12" dinger plate.
After he died I got his Brooks mold and the swaging die set, but I've only used the mold to cast bullets for my Pope-Ballard in .22WCF loads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd be interested in trying some of that ammo but if I gotta use a .22 past 100 I'll reach for my hornet or bee or 223 or 22-250. Heck even my 17 Remington.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

RWS are in on the act, too.

Scrummy

https://rws-ammunition.com/en/infotainm ... long-range
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 00#p963100

I misplaced this post :o but is it ironic that manufacturers are making the 0.793 case .22 more deadlier :?:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:12 pm I'd be interested in trying some of that ammo but if I gotta use a .22 past 100 I'll reach for my hornet or bee or 223 or 22-250. Heck even my 17 Remington.
I shoot a .22-250, a .17HMR, and a .22WCF also. But I still like pushing the limits with my .22LR guns just for fun. They certainly wont hit as hard, or be as accurate, but once I get on target it's very similar to trying to hit at 1000 yds. with my larger CF single shot rifles. I wouldn't consider the .22LR for taking even varmints at over 100 yds., but for hitting targets I love trying long range.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No doubt they are fun, especially with some breeze! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!