Ice storm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Ice storm

Post by piller »

This year's ice storm has once again shut Texas down. The road in front of my house is just a sheet of ice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ice storm

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Currently raining ice here in Nolan County, Texas.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the Ranch is glazed over too. hope everyone shelters in place and fares well, including the water tanks and livestock . . .

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It never fails to amaze Me how people try to drive in an ice storm .We have had some bad ones here over the years . not only no traction or stopping power even at very slow speeds but the weight of the ice brings down tree limbs all over the roads. some of the roads were impassible here because of the trees and limbs. stay safe !
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Stay safe down there. Been in a few of them in my younger days. Remember one in the late 60's in North Texas. Visiting Sister in WF town over Christmas. When we drove home, there was, IIRC, 4-6" of ice on the road. Drove down the interstate straddeling the dashed yellow line at about 20 mph. The way the road was crowned a bit for water drainage, if you drove in a regular lane, you slid off the road.
I will take 12 inches of snow over 1/2' of ice
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I got onto some icy roads in BC after buying new studded tires for the drive wheels on a Chevy pickup. On an iced up sloped road the front wheels both lost traction and truck started sliding toward the lake that was a hundred feet below me.

I grabbed the axe and chopped divots in the ice. Then I put chains on the front tires.

Man o Man I had fun after that! Naturally a set of studded tires make child's play of the iced over highways, but does nothing to protect from the rest of the cars ! ! !

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was dreaming this morning and while I don't remember what I was dreaming about, into the dream someone came and spoke to me saying, "The power is out." It woke me up and I found the power was out. I got up and found my son-in-law getting ready to get the generator out. So first thing this morning was getting the house and the well powered up.

Once that was done the next priority was the animals .. chickens and dogs .. making sure they have plenty of food and water. The ramp into the chicken coop was icy and the chickens came skating out, some on their backs, some squawking. I put some sand on the ramp so they can get up and down easier.

The ice storm warning has been extended until tomorrow. We heard there are over 150,000 people without power. Ours came back on in a couple hours but has flickered and gone off for a few minutes a couple times so we are keeping everything on standby. The trees are bowed down with ice and we have heard limbs breaking but so far not on any of our trees.
IMG_4774.JPG
IMG_4776.JPG
IMG_4779.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

On the "bright" side...it won't hurt my trees.

Tornado got them all on 11/04 :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Studded tires do make a difference, but the downside is they tempt one to get out on the roads with the rodeo bozos who don't realize that four-wheel drive means nada on ice! :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My job closed yesterday and today. I appreciate the owner having the sense to not risk us to the icy roads. Texas does not have an abundance of sand trucks, and mostly they can only get the main roads and the overpasses. My power has been fine. Our pellet stove is keeping us comfortable. Our two terrierists are inside and bored to death. They are going outside to do their business, then coming back inside in a hurry.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

You know things are seriously bad when Amazon or FedEx hasn't been to your house in three days!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Our son and his wife recently moved from Conroe, north of Houston to Weatherford, just west of Ft Worth. My wife and I drove down to visit and to help him build a good, solid reloading and work bench. We arrived there last Thursday afternoon and worked our tails off due to limited time. We hit the road to return home at five AM on Monday morning, just as the bad weather was developing. The ice rain stuck to the windshield so solidly that the defroster couldn't heat up the windshield sufficiently for the wipers to move it. I pulled off the road once to find an ice scraper in the back of the truck, slipped and almost fell on my keester on the slick asphalt. Those miserable conditions lasted almost to Amarillo, where it was snowing and the overnight temperature had been 7°. I-40 improved the farther west we drove and when we reached NM we finally saw blue sky again.

Victor's reloading and work bench......34 linear feet. We still have lots to do on it. I may fly down there in a week or two to help finish his project.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That should work.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Austin has its Winter Road Crew going ...
austin snowplow.jpg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Of safe options, at home inside is the best. I didn't have that option so I skedaddled with the skedaddlin' was good. Left about 3 pm on Monday and arrived in Eclectic, AL with my load of shelving intact. Overnite temps were in the low 40s here, and other'n some anticipated rain, looks to remain so. I'm next headed to New Caney, TX for Friday, then home for the weekend. Next week I'm off to OR.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:46 pm Austin has its Winter Road Crew going ...
austin snowplow.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: