spent primers stain carpet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

spent primers stain carpet?

Post by FLINT »

a while back I was sizing/decaping some spent cases and some of the primers fell onto the carpet under the reloading table. I didn't think anything of it. I'll pick them up later I thought. Don't remember how much later, day or two maybe, I picked them up but they left little reddish brown stains on the carpet. Whats up with that? Now I'm careful not to drop any! any experience with this? can the carpet be cleaned?

Thanks
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: spent primers stain carpet?

Post by GunnyMack »

Were the cases wet? Sounds like rust to me...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:47 pm Were the cases wet? Sounds like rust to me...
Hmmm, the color does kind of look like rust but I don't think the cases had been wet. I can't think of a way they would have been anyways.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I didn't think brass or copper rusted.…..maybe they are mixing sintered iron with the brass to save money…

....you could always try a dab of full strength Simple Green or if the rug is white, try come bleach....if all else fails just paint it....I do that with my jeans when bleach hits them....I have a blue magic marker and you can't see where the previous mark was.

In the future just get a $9.99 throw down 3x5 rug from Costco or Home Depot.

You must be clean...like really clean....my floor where my bench is concrete and it looks like someone threw a couple of grenades on it.
Model A Uzi’s
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:13 pm I didn't think brass or copper rusted.…..maybe they are mixing sintered iron with the brass to save money…

....you could always try a dab of full strength Simple Green or if the rug is white, try come bleach....if all else fails just paint it....I do that with my jeans when bleach hits them....I have a blue magic marker and you can't see where the previous mark was.

In the future just get a $9.99 throw down 3x5 rug from Costco or Home Depot.

You must be clean...like really clean....my floor where my bench is concrete and it looks like someone threw a couple of grenades on it.
Thanks. I was thinking that there was maybe some chemical within the primer. some kind of powder or residue that was doing it. I don't think the stain is from rust as there is no powder that I can see. it just looks like the carpet became discolored from contact with the primers.

Simple green is a good idea. I'm a big fan of simple green and always keep a gallon and a spray bottle of it around. I'll try it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Bleach turns polyester and polypropylene yellow.
Wink is a rust remover. Mild acid I think.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The anvil inside the primer is not copper or brass.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Powder spilled into a rug grain by grain over months and years can constitute a major fire hazard. Don't ask how I know -- but my advice is, no rug underneath a reloading bench...