Someone mentioned cutting stocks a while back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Someone mentioned cutting stocks a while back

Post by GunnyMack »

A shotgun instructor i know called me a few days ago asking if I could help one of his students. After discussing it the decision is the stock is/ was 1/4" too long for the guy. He came by last evening and I agreed that a 1/4" was all that was needed.
Today after work I set up my stock cutting apparatus and took the cut.
20230131_160357.jpg
As you can see, I use my tablesaw. I put a thin shim on the fence( spring clamps holds it) so as to not let the fall off to bind up.
20230131_160404.jpg
Here you can see the clearance to the fence.
20230131_160947.jpg
The fall off.
Now as for the setup, I lay the stock flat and tape a shim under the receiver end of the stock to keep it level . Then I use the miter gauge adjusted to keep the butt against the fence. I had to make up a spacer for the miter gauge to clear the grip.
I've found that a tablesaw makes a very clean and flat cut, no need to sand !
Then of course I had to reinstall the recoil pad and grind to fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Someone mentioned cutting stocks a while back

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice work, Gunny -- and a nice piece of walnut.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A nicely done stock shortening is a rare thing usually. For every good one done I see a dozen or more messed up!
Great work gunny!
Now we need a tutorial on putting wood back on! ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have yet to find or see a good way to add wood back, other than spacers or thicker recoil pad.
I bought a Perazzi MX8 that was too nice to pass up ( color case receiver) but it had a 13¹/² LOP. an 1¹/⁴ too short so I made up a spacer out of black walnut. Its plug ugly but it works until I get it restocked... another project I dont have time for !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:04 pm I have yet to find or see a good way to add wood back, other than spacers or thicker recoil pad.
I bought a Perazzi MX8 that was too nice to pass up ( color case receiver) but it had a 13¹/² LOP. an 1¹/⁴ too short so I made up a spacer out of black walnut. Its plug ugly but it works until I get it restocked... another project I dont have time for !
I have seen a couple old guns that had wood added back, and had to be the same wood taken off as the grain was only slightly off from the width of the cut. Others I've seen just never had a tight gap to the joint, or well matched grain.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup, I too have seen stocks shortened for a youth and then had the original piece cut off put back on. It's always obvious and like you say most of the time it's ugly!
When I started shooting trap as a kid my Dad got my a BT99 , it was long for me and we had it cut. As I grew it was too short and a spacer was installed. Then I graduated to an O/U and sold the BT99 to a guy for his son. The kid was tiny and it was cut back farther.
When people ask me about cutting stocks the first thing I tell them is to look for a youth stock ( depending on make model) first, a used stock second and as a last resort cut the stock only because the fall off is hardly ever kept to reinstall later.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My same suggestion to people Gunny. I tell them to find any proper stock, and not worry about condition, as long as it's solid. Then chop it down, and save the original for later.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I agree, nice set up and work .And a good looking stock too.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Guy came to pick up his stock, very pleased and says he has more work for me and wants to get together and shoot some.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I never got the whole stock cutting thing unless it was for a very small shooter. I remember my dad's next door neighbor spent a bunch of money on guns being altered over the years and he was never a good shot. One professional gun smith told him his stock was 1/4" too short. This was after another professional had cut it. It never made sense to me as a young man. I looked at it that my LOP changed every time I went into the field bird or rabbit hunting or field clays. From t-shirt on a warm day to jacket, coats and vests on cold days. Sometimes coveralls overheavy coats and then there are gloves. Even shooting left or right changes LOP.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It seems that manufactures, especially higher end makers are sending their guns out with overly long LOPs. Ive seen some guns with 15.5" LOP. Ya gotta be 6'5" for that gun to fit you. They do it so the buyer can have it altered for fit.
With shotguns your eye is the rear sight, pitch, DOC/DOH, height of comb( adjustable comb guns) all effect POI. On target guns some like 90/10 patterns, some like 82/20,70/30. Most field guns shoot 50/50 patterns. The high pattern guns allow the shooter to " float " the target whereas a field gun you cover the bird and shoot.
The majority of shooters with adjustable stocks have no clue how to make it work , they are fumbling with Allen wrenches while shooting. I see it all the time. Most times if they would slam the comb down tight their scores would go up. But they refuse to do that.
If you are serious about clay birds get fitted and have a stock made.
Browning, Beretta make guns that are designed to fit the average person and they work for most.
The 3 Perazzi's I have I've altered for my LOP,same pitch that works best for me.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

A while back there was a decent Model 55 Winchester at a local shop for not too much. The reason it was not much was that someone once installed a recoil pad on it but had chopped the stock perpendicular to the toe line on the low side. Made me a little ill.