Tang sight vs. quality ladder sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Tang sight vs. quality ladder sight

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am considering both systems for a '73 in .44 WCF. I know the Marbles tang peep will work for my old guy vision, but I have always resented the dang things fouling up my grip at the wrist of the rifle. They really just wreck it, to be honest.
A good ladder sight isn't entirely unusable. If I scrunch my eyes just so I can still use a Buffington, but need a larger front sight. What have y'all worked out on this issue? Thinking either yet another Marbles tang or try a Skinner ladder.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang sight vs. quality ladder sight

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:20 pm I am considering both systems for a '73 in .44 WCF. I know the Marbles tang peep will work for my old guy vision, but I have always resented the dang things fouling up my grip at the wrist of the rifle. They really just wreck it, to be honest.
A good ladder sight isn't entirely unusable. If I scrunch my eyes just so I can still use a Buffington, but need a larger front sight. What have y'all worked out on this issue? Thinking either yet another Marbles tang or try a Skinner ladder.
I never found the lack of wrapping my thumb over the top tang as an issue Bill. And the location and aperture on a tang sight improve my group size so much that I only use tang sights for all my rifles.
When I got my Sharps it had the barrel mounted Freund rear sight that's similar to a ladder sight. I figured I'd give it a try since my tang wasn't D&T for a tang sight. My groups at 100 yds. were absolutely pitiful, and I just couldn't get a good sight picture. I shot a couple boxes of ammo up and got 6"-8" groups. I got a spare Borchardt tang sight out of my sight box, and D&T for it, and installed it. Back to the range and same loads provided 2"-2.5" groups, so happier now!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

MM has got it exactly right. Tang mounted sights give you a longer sight radius which improves accuracy. i have learned to place my thumb alongside the rifle's tang rather than over it. As a longtime metallic silhouette shooter, a tang sight is the way to go!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have tang sights on several rifles, from my Winchester 94s I use for side matches in CAS, my Sharps, and both 1885s. Neither 1885 has any appreciable recoil, necessitating an over the wrist thumb placement. And frankly,. even with full house .30-30 loads aren't enough to drive the sight into the web of my hand. A tight grip keeps the stock from slipping thru my hand. My Sharps weighs 12+ lbs, and while recoil is heavier, it's slow enough that again, with a tight grip my hand isn't altered. The benefits of the longer sight radius far outweigh any slight oddity in the wrist shape.

The only ladder sight I have is on my 1860 Henry. It's a much harder sight picture for me to acquire.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This thread I have a post in shows a bunch of signing options I found useful in the way of aperture sights...

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 74#p390174

Hope it helps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

Tang sight 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh to be a kid again! I do envy those folks who can be so effective with the wonderful tang sights that are to be had these days. But I fear those days are past for my species of eyeball: since discovering that my eye has lost its ability to "automatically center" the front sight in the peep (which really really screws with your precision shootin'!) I am in the process of taking tang sights off guns and putting some kind of open sight back on. First one I replaced was the wonderful (and expensive) Kelly long-range tang sight on my Pedersoli-Sharps buffalo gun. Off with the Kelley, on with a Buffington scrounged off an old trapdoor Springfield. Next is the "mini-buffington" taken off a 1903 Springfield during sporterization which I am still playing with before giving it a final home on a Marlin C'boy 38/55.

Guns intended for shorter range use (200 yds. and under) I am just taking off the tang and putting back the open rear sight I saved back when I installed the tang. I am, however going to play with the Marble's Bullseye for this use to see if that'll work out.

Are there better ladder sights to be had out there than my elderly take-offs from old military Springfields, Bill?

Oh yes, I have heard the rumors that you can as a desperate last-resort obtain things called "red dots" and "scopes". Not that desperate -- yet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I doubt any of the better "civilian ladders" hold much advantage over such sophisticated military sights as the Buffington, although I have always wanted to try its predecessor, the Model 1879. So many of the front sights on the 19th-century military singleshots were just those inverted V "barleycorns, which I never had much luck with. Last I checked, my eye still centers the front sight in an aperture rear, so I guess I will keep working with them until indicated otherwise.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Glad I'm not the first but I agree with earlmck. I have most everything equipped with peep sights but now converting back. And for the same reasons as earlmck mentioned. The peeps just aren't working like the used to. My best ladder is a Red River Winchester long staff from Buffalo Arms. But don't bother as they are (were) from Ukraine and honestly they haven't had any for over a decade before the shooting started.
For the ladder, it all depends on the sight shape. I hate round rear notches AND square rear notches. The Red River has close to a British double rifle shallow V notch but it is slightly rounded at the bottom of the V. "For my eyes", the trick is to not have sharp edges on the sight notch. To see the sharp edges takes sharp eyesight, which I don't have anymore. Without sharp edges, I can center the sight like when I was 20. I can't explain it any better and don't care to, it just works "for me". To really pee off the crowd, I'll also state I hate buckhorn or semi buckhorn. I don't need useless sharp junk sticking up in the way. Whatever ladders are available these days, I'll have to take a file to. Use what you can hit with and I'll do the same and we'll all be happy.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Hmmm? These work for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Shasta wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:21 pm MM has got it exactly right. Tang mounted sights give you a longer sight radius which improves accuracy. i have learned to place my thumb alongside the rifle's tang rather than over it. As a longtime metallic silhouette shooter, a tang sight is the way to go!

Shasta
I too like a Merit aperture
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Went ahead and ordered a Marble's tang sight and what I hope are the right screws from good old Buffalo Arms. Now to find a gunsmith within reasonable distance who can do the D&T in a reasonable amount of time ...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Should only need one hole D&T for a '73 type rifle Bill. The rear screw would be just a longer tang stock screw, and then one front screw hole.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that's what I was hoping. If I had a decent drill press vise I might be tempted to booger it up myself. ... :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am Vall, that's what I was hoping. If I had a decent drill press vise I might be tempted to booger it up myself. ... :lol:
Considering the single hole needed, I wouldn't hesitate to mount the sight, and then mark the front hole by using a drill bit large enough to fit the sight hole, and just make a small starter indent with the bit. Then remove the sight, and buttstock, and drill it with the proper size bit, and tap it. Could even be done with a hand drill this way and get it exact.