400 gr bullets in a RedHawk .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

400 gr bullets in a RedHawk .45 Colt

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ashley Ermerson says that the twist rate in a Ruger RedHawk will stabilize a 400 grain cast bullet at 1200 fps.

Is anyone here doing this?
Ysabel Kid

Re: 400 gr bullets in a RedHawk .45 Colt

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 4-0-0 grain .45-caliber bullet in a handgun!

And no, the novelty .45-70 revolvers I don't count.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I shoot a 405Gr bullet from a 5.5 inch .44 Redhawk, but not at that speed. My speeds are down around 950 or so, due to chamber issues. but about 1100 is do-able with the high pressure loads... my goal, when i get around to-it, is about 1050-ish.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That would be a formidable load, but also might be a little more fun than I'm up for. The heaviest I've done in the Redhawk is the Lyman/Gould 457122 at about 1100 fps. After the initial familiarization it was actually pretty easy to manage in DA shooting.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I shot 430's out of the Freedom Arms 454 ... but I never ran them over 850 fps. At 800 fps they were accurate enough to hit a 4 foot x 4 foot metal target at 500 yards when we were at John Linebaugh's. Very mild recoil.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

samsi wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:54 pm That would be a formidable load, but also might be a little more fun than I'm up for. The heaviest I've done in the Redhawk is the Lyman/Gould 457122 at about 1100 fps. After the initial familiarization it was actually pretty easy to manage in DA shooting.
actually at 950-ish they are very tractable, not much recoil, I think less than 240Gr full pressure load... somewhere in my notes I have Marshall's recipes. He seemed to like as much pressure as possible. I had to fish around to get a low pressure load, but it's easy going on the wrists and elbows. And it has massive penetration, which I prefer to finding bullets inside an animal.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 pm I shot 430's out of the Freedom Arms 454 ... but I never ran them over 850 fps. At 800 fps they were accurate enough to hit a 4 foot x 4 foot metal target at 500 yards when we were at John Linebaugh's. Very mild recoil.
I sure would like to learn to do long range shooting like that...

My guess is that with the same bullet weight and equal pressure the 45 will be higher velocity, is this correct?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 pm
JimT wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 pm I shot 430's out of the Freedom Arms 454 ... but I never ran them over 850 fps. At 800 fps they were accurate enough to hit a 4 foot x 4 foot metal target at 500 yards when we were at John Linebaugh's. Very mild recoil.
I sure would like to learn to do long range shooting like that...

My guess is that with the same bullet weight and equal pressure the 45 will be higher velocity, is this correct?
I am not sure ...I never messed with bullets much heavier than 300 gr. in the 45 Colt. You get to the point of diminishing returns quickly.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of the fun things about hanging around here is that a bunch of folks on this forum have information to share.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 pm Ashley Ermerson says that the twist rate in a Ruger RedHawk will stabilize a 400 grain cast bullet at 1200 fps.

Is anyone here doing this?
by comparison Blaine's 10" BFR stabilized 525Gr 45/70 bullets at 1300Fps . . . . could compare the twist rates . . .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Too much for this Old Guy. The heaviest slug I ever shot in the .45 was about 325gr out of the Bisley. that was years ago. today if I needed more power I would grab a rifle .
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

Years ago I cast 405 HPs out of a lee single-cavity mold and sized them down in stages. Shot them out of a Freedom Arms .45 Colt (because Ross Seyfried wrote that the Colt made more sense for heavy bullets than the .454 in the same platform). They were accurate enough at 1,000 fps, but I am recoil sensitive so had to concentrate. Hunted elk one Fall but never got a shot.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

.45colt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:42 am Too much for this Old Guy. The heaviest slug I ever shot in the .45 was about 325gr out of the Bisley. that was years ago. today if I needed more power I would grab a rifle .
I hunted deer in Alaska for subsistence with a 10" 44 SBH and 325Gr cast pb tc bullets. Recoil was modest and the biggest sensation was a pulse straight back into the palm. We made lots of meat and it was about the same effect as a rifle with easier carry.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have No doubt that it worked Great Grizz,.Good for You! I don't want to think about another injury to add to the long list of what hurts today. :shock: . :lol: .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:49 pm I shoot a 405Gr bullet from a 5.5 inch .44 Redhawk, but not at that speed. My speeds are down around 950 or so, due to chamber issues. but about 1100 is do-able with the high pressure loads... my goal, when i get around to-it, is about 1050-ish.
Grizz, you are the man! That’s where I was headed with this inquiry. My handgun loads are all less than 1,000 fps except for the .327 and.357.

I’m looking to see where a heavy bullet like that will stabilize
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:14 pm
Grizz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:49 pm I shoot a 405Gr bullet from a 5.5 inch .44 Redhawk, but not at that speed. My speeds are down around 950 or so, due to chamber issues. but about 1100 is do-able with the high pressure loads... my goal, when i get around to-it, is about 1050-ish.
Grizz, you are the man! That’s where I was headed with this inquiry. My handgun loads are all less than 1,000 fps except for the .327 and.357.

I’m looking to see where a heavy bullet like that will stabilize
I sent some of those 405s to someone in the midwest, and he worked up a load with Marshall's approval that got him 1020fps from a 5.5" redhawk. That load penetrated 13 one gallon jugs of water. Which demonstrates the stability of that load. He also got 1020Fps from a 4" revolver, but it sounds like it is on the ragged edge to me.

Unfortunately Marshall's Beartoothbullet site is gone. The forum seems to be under new management, but there was scads of info on these loads back in the day. I hope I copied and saved his articles!!!

https://www.shootersforum.com/

people often think that this load must recoil hard, but the heavy bullets when they are "detuned" are very manageable. Marshall's load ran 36.4k CUP and got 1100Fps. My load is 28k CUP and should net 1000Fps, but averages 896 from my gun, it needs some work to get there. These are Marshall's measured pressures.

I haven't run the numbers, but the difference between 900 and 1100 fps is a range extension. I doubt it would be noticed at close range because the bullet should pass through any combination of muscle and bone on this continent.

Hope this helps. I use water jugs to compare bullet loads. It tells me what the water does to the bullet. It tells me if the bullet is stable, or NOT. I've had bullets exit the second or third jug sideways and go thru a backup sheet of plywood sideways. Water is a reliable indicator for those things.

The bullets are seated out in the lower crimp groove, and they have to be crimped so they cannot move, they will tie up a gun if they can move.

Grizz
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Does anyone know if Marshall is OK? I knew a friend of his, Pete Thorniley, who lived not far from me in Southern Oregon. He and Marshall seemed to be good friends and shared a lot of data that was not "publishable," especially regarding duplexing powders. Pete took a lot of the biggest game in Africa with a .444 Marlin, Marshall's bullet designs, and their powder cocktails. Pete worked up his Thorniley Power Factor based on experience in Africa and in southern Oregon on blacktail deer and black bears raiding his family's pear orchard.
Pete was a huge Bible evangelist. He played in his church's band (even built special bass guitars for it) and was an absolutely fearless distributor of Gideon's Bibles. His was a far more conservative cosmology than my own approach, (which has been mellowed by years of influence by a certain Jim Taylor) but I always respected him for his sincerity. Hope he is well, too. Pete told me his Dad was a hard case when it came to faith, but he confessed his belief in Christ shortly before he died, to Pete's great relief.
The old Wagner Creek Cemetery was just one house away across the road from our home in the Wagner Creek Valley, and I often wandered among the monuments there. The front of Pete's father's stone gave his birth and death information, and his Navy experience as I recall, but the back of the stone simply said "Safely home." Those two words have stuck with me lo these many years.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You guys are barking right up my front porch LOL! I did load up some 360 grain Keith bullets designed I'm pretty sure by Frank E. formerly of Mt. Baldy Bullets. I was getting 1150 fps out of my 5" 1//2 inch Ruger Bisley after uniforming chambers and such (would not want to do this with a gun with erratic 45 Colt chamber sizes, forcing cone and barrel dimensions). I have not shot a 400 grain out of a Ruger 45 Colt yet although I do have a bullet from McPherson for use in the 454 Casull for such a purpose. There sure wouldn't be much room for powder with it though in 45 Colt, and 1200 fps seems pretty darn hot in a factory 6 shot Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk (perhaps the Redhawk is stonger??? I do not know). I think I will pass on that though in a 6 shot Ruger. In my Bisley, my 360 load is quite the handful. A 400ish grain load I'll save for my Casull and 460 S&W guns.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Not quite 400, but Hodgdon's online data has a Cast Performance 395 listed at 1024 fps (7.25" barrel) with 14.3 gr of AA9. Pressure below 32k.

Nothing listed for H110 oddly enough.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting. I’d really like to see where this goes. But it appears that we have additional evidence that such a heavy bullet can be stabilized in a RedHawk. I’m not sure that it needs to go very fast as long as it is stable and accurate.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 am Interesting. I’d really like to see where this goes. But it appears that we have additional evidence that such a heavy bullet can be stabilized in a RedHawk. I’m not sure that it needs to go very fast as long as it is stable and accurate.
It is correct that heavies do not have to go "very fast" to achieve their penetration. Momentum is the key to that.

John Linebaugh invented or co-invented the heavy-for-caliber revolvers. His penetration tests are epic. His five shot revolvers are world famous. I think his penetration tests are on line. IIRC, he uses wet newspaper to compare his loads and trap his bullets.

It was reading about his work and talking to Marshall Stanton that led me to try a 325Gr load in the SBH, a proven meat maker, and later on to develop the 405Gr load for the Redhawk. That was following Marshall Stanton's lead with his 444 hard cast bullets.

Mr. Linebaugh has all the info on stabilization and is a much better source of info than i am. I just copied his work and adapted it to what I had.

this link is Taylor's KO calculator and it is how i study the relationship between weight, velocity, and penetration potential.

https://n4lcd.com/calc/ TKO calculator

grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:55 pm Does anyone know if Marshall is OK?
I don't and am concerned. I hope someone has some good news about his whereabouts. †
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have some 325 grain lead bullets for a .45 Colt that I shoot in my Ruger Blackhawk. About 900 fps gives a reasonable kick that is not painful. So far, I have not recovered any bullets. If I go bear hunting, that or my .480 Super Redhawk is going to be with me. The .480 has a few 410 grain LBT style WFN bullets left that are loaded to about 1050 fps. Out of that big chunk of steel, they are not too bad to shoot and they penetrate pretty well. The .480 pushed up around 1400 fps with that bullet will let you know when it goes off. The extra velocity does not seem to give any better penetration in my experience. Could just be what I have shot with it.
D. Brian Casady
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Tutt, in answer to your question about the strength of Redhawk revolvers; Max Prasak in his book, "Big Bore Revolvers" wrote that Jack Huntington of JRH Gunsmithing had years before simply installed a .454 cylinder in his 4" .45 Colt Redhawk with no other modifications and that Prasak had shot it and hunted with it extensively. Yet another testament to the degree that Ruger overbuilds their revolvers.

I have frequently shot 325 gr handloads from both Blackhawk and Redhawk revolvers at about 900 fps velocities with good success. Very comfortable to shoot; no sharp recoil and penetration is astounding.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Walt, thanks for that. That does sound like a really easy conversion for the Redhawk. I wish the same could be done for the Blackhawk using the newer 454 cylinder, but it is a 5 shot, so some other parts would need changing. My Super Blackhawk has a free pawl which might make the conversion a little easier. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 pm Walt, thanks for that. That does sound like a really easy conversion for the Redhawk. I wish the same could be done for the Blackhawk using the newer 454 cylinder, but it is a 5 shot, so some other parts would need changing. My Super Blackhawk has a free pawl which might make the conversion a little easier. -Tutt
what about OAL? the 405s that fit in my redhawk won't fit in a SBH cylinder, how does the 454 cylinder compare in length?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Grizz, good observation and question. I don't know, but the 454 cylinder does appear longer and butt's up against the rear of the receiver. I suspect they recessed the case heads in the cylinder for its new purpose. Anyone got a 454 Blackhawk cylinder to measure??? -Tutt

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’ve been shooting one of the 4.2 inch round butt .45/.45ACP guns. One of the most comfortable guns to shoot in either caliber with standard loads. The factory wooden grips are just right in my hands and sporty to boot.

But I’m not sure that I would enjoy the heavier “Ruger only” loads in this one.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:32 am I’ve been shooting one of the 4.2 inch round butt .45/.45ACP guns. One of the most comfortable guns to shoot in either caliber with standard loads. The factory wooden grips are just right in my hands and sporty to boot.

Scott, it depends on how they are loaded and what the objective is. the 405 at about 950 is not punishing..... something like white box 240s... everyone who shoots mine is surprised. and honestly it could exit the barrel at 800 and still put a world of hurt on whatever it hits. someday, hopefully, I will gather some data in that direction.... including a lighter bullet when I find one I like. something around 365-ish to split the difference between the 325 and the 405 . . . just to see where that goes . .

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I gave the Redhawk 4" .45 Colt/ACP to my son along with a bunch of 300 gr loads going at 1100 fps to use for shooting pigs. It was not a recreational load in that revolver and I quickly switched to Hogue rubber grips for their their cushioning and hand-filling qualities.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:16 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:32 am I’ve been shooting one of the 4.2 inch round butt .45/.45ACP guns. One of the most comfortable guns to shoot in either caliber with standard loads. The factory wooden grips are just right in my hands and sporty to boot.

Scott, it depends on how they are loaded and what the objective is. the 405 at about 950 is not punishing..... something like white box 240s... everyone who shoots mine is surprised. and honestly it could exit the barrel at 800 and still put a world of hurt on whatever it hits. someday, hopefully, I will gather some data in that direction.... including a lighter bullet when I find one I like. something around 365-ish to split the difference between the 325 and the 405 . . . just to see where that goes . .

Interesting. Thank you. I don’t find white box Winchester 240 gr .44 mag ammo to be particularly disturbing.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I had to send my.45 Redhawk back to Ruger because it is not properly lining up chamber mouths with the bore.

But while it is getting fixed, my .454 Redhawk is shooting these 400 grain bullets very well and comfortably.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yowza! :lol: Tutt

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Not bad from the .454 RedHawk.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have the Redhawk 45/45acp and I sure wont' be shooting any 400grn loads thru it. :shock: . with the stock grip's you need to be careful.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

.45colt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:10 pm I have the Redhawk 45/45acp and I sure wont' be shooting any 400grn loads thru it. :shock: . with the stock grip's you need to be careful.
Yep. My first RH was a 7 1/2" and it had enough heft that is was agreeable to shoot with the factory wood, the shorter barrels not so much.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is why I do not push my Blackhawk in .45 Colt above about 900 (give or take a few) fps with the 325 grain bullets. That velocity is not punishing to the shooter. More than that starts to get uncomfortable quickly. My Blackhawk is 4 5/8 inch. With the factory .45 ACP cylinder in, it is fun.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

If I’m going to push it, I have to load something too long to fit in a SAA cylinder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That would certainly prevent firing it out of a Colt or clone. Cannot get it to rotate after loading the cylinder, even in total darkness you know it is the wrong cartridge.
D. Brian Casady