Bullet impacts at 250,000 frames per second

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Bullet impacts at 250,000 frames per second

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet impacts at 250,000 frames per second

Post by GunnyMack »

The summer of 91 I was part of a crew renovating office space, the new office spaces were for a county prosecutor. The reception area we put 1/2" thick Kevlar sheet behind the drywall and 1&3/8" ' bullet proof ' glass at the desk area. One day im walking out with scraps of both and the prosecutor saw me and asked what I was going to do with the scraps. I said I'm gonna shoot it! He replied good let me know what you think.
I screwed the Kevlar to a post and opened fire with everything from .22lr to 44 mag, it stopped everything until we got to rifle rounds, just about everything went through.
The glass is nothing more than 3 layers of plexiglass, stopped all handgun stuff easily, smaller rifle as well( I have a hunk with a 25-20 stuck in it. But bigger stuff went through like a drill bit.
The following Monday at the site the prosecutor found me and I relayed to him about everything I shot it with. He said that the budget allowed for the handgun safe products.
Then I opened my mouth about the stairwell wall not having Kevlar at the reception area- guess what? We had to take the sheetrock down, add Kevlar sheets and then rock the wall over again!
I just did a quick look for the plastic window with the bullet in it, no idea where its at...

At school a guy put together a .50 BMG single shot, one day he was shooting at a railroad tie plate. At 50 yds he was just pushing the plate into the berm. I shot it with my .17 Remington and that little 25 grainer burned right through it.
Last edited by GunnyMack on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cool!
What was missing, though, was what would come straight back at you, especially with FMJ. I can personally attest that a piece of jacket from 230gr hardball can come back and bite you at 50ish feet when shooting immovable steel.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I did this with my Model 94 Winchester .30-30 ....
accellerator.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:57 pm The summer of 91 I was part of a crew renovating office space, the new office spaces were for a county prosecutor. The reception area we put 1/2" thick Kevlar sheet behind the drywall and 1&3/8" ' bullet proof ' glass at the desk area. One day im walking out with scraps of both and the prosecutor saw me and asked what I was going to do with the scraps. I said I'm gonna shoot it! He replied good let me know what you think.
I screwed the Kevlar to a post and opened fire with everything from .22lr to 44 mag, it stopped everything until we got to rifle rounds, just about everything went through.
The glass is nothing more than 3 layers of plexiglass, stopped all handgun stuff easily, smaller rifle as well( I have a hunk with a 25-20 stuck in it. But bigger stuff went through like a drill bit.
The following Monday at the site the prosecutor found me and I relayed to him about everything I shot it with. He said that the budget allowed for the handgun safe products.
Then I opened my mouth about the stairwell wall not having Kevlar at the reception area- guess what? We had to take the sheetrock down, add Kevlar sheets and then rock the wall over again!
I just did a quick look for the plastic window with the bullet in it, no idea where its at...

At school a guy put together a .50 BMG single shot, one day he was shooting at a railroad tie plate. At 50 yds he was just pushing the plate into the berm. I shot it with my .17 Remington and that little 25 grainer burned right through it.
Did a similar experiment with a Kevlar vest.
Back when a friend of mine was a Cleveland paramedic, they were issued vests and when he got a new one he brought the old one out to my place to test out just what it would stop.
just about the same results, except the .44 Magnum did get through the vest but just barely. May have broken the skin, but I'm sure it would have hurt like hell as well as possible internal injuries.
.223 on up to the .308 zipped through the front, full five gallon bucket of joint compound and straight out of the back of the vest.
I guess the take away of the experiment is don't get shot.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

The smaller the caliber and the higher the velocity, the greater penetration in steel.

A number of years ago a NM State Policeman was shot and killed in the southern part of the state. He had been hit with a .45-70 mid-chest wearing a kevlar vest. The bullet did not go through the vest but carried the vest far enough into his torso to inflict a fatal injury. Yet another brother down....