Also shot the Blackhawk in .41

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Also shot the Blackhawk in .41

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This time I put 50 rounds through the 6 1/2-inch barreled Blackhawk -- a mix of 210-grain Lee TL, Hornady 210-grain XTP and the Accurate 240V (258-grain-grain cast slug) over Unique, Universal Clays, Longshot (yeah it is loud). Closest approximation to a group at 50 yards was the Hornady XTP over 9.5 of Universal Clays -- under four inches. Otherwise it was a bullet free-for-all -- as in all over the place. I think two issues were in play: scarcely any load development work as I just wanted to shoot a little bit of everything, and sighting issues.
I had installed a "One Ragged Hole" peep sight in the rear just to give it a go, and a previous owner of this revolver had inset a small block of yellow plastic in the front ramp. The front and rear in combination conspired to give me a wretched sight picture; I had a huge problem resolving the front sight, and the impacts of the different bullets varied from a few inches high to 18 inches high.
I am going to put the original Ruger sight blade back in the rear, and at least black out that wretched chunk of lemon peel out front. But maybe my eyes just aren't cut out for sixgun shooting for accuracy any more at ranges beyond 25 yards.

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Also shot the Blackhawk in .41

Post by piller »

Some colors just do not show up clearly. Yellow sounds like a problem for you. Red is never clear for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Get something like this and cut small strips to cover the plastic insert just to see if any color helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

When the front sight started giving me problems I bought a bunch of bright colored model paint at the hobby store. Yellow didn't work out for me either, especially in bright light. It would wash out and make the sight basically disappear. So far fluorescent green has worked out the best for me.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I put a dab of blaze orange finger nail polish on my front sights, works wonderful with the ghost ring rear.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My BH 41 has a white insert, don't love it but I dont hate it either. Of course if I shot it more often...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bill, you and I have similar interests. I think my next two acquisitions will be a short-barreled M92 in .357 and a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41 mag if I can find them. I have several Smith model 57s and 657s and also a 6 1/2" Blackhawk in .41 but I know I need a short one. I am also planning on putting a Bisley grip frame on my 6 1/2" Blackhawk. That would make a very cool revolver. Midway says the Bisley grip frames are out of stock but are overdue. The blued ones are apparently harder to locate than the stainless ones and more expensive.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, I like the Bisley grips as well, although the XR3-Red grips handled the recoil from the loads I fired just fine.
I am going to work more with this front sight business and see if we can't be friends.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fluorescent green every time. It's on my 94 legacy now, makes all the difference.
Yellow is neither here or there for the eye bill.
I'd take black over yellow buddy.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Midway used to sell brass grip frames for the BH. I got one and it took quite a bit of file work to get it to flush with the frame. However once it was fitted and polished up it really looks sharp! And the added weight feels good except for when it's in a holster I know its there!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

A gentleman named Ronnie Wells, DBA RW Grip Frames sells numerous styles of brass and aluminum grip frames for Rugers. Evidently Ruger also sold revolvers with brass grip frames for a few years in the late sixties and early seventies.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bill, i also have problems with hand gun sights, last week i got some birchwood casey with 3 color pens
white, green & red, so far ive just used the neon green, it has made an improvement on my shooting
so far i just did two guns a sp 101 357 & a Ruger Alaskan in 454- 45 c may have to do a few more & check them out

Brad