32-40 cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

32-40 cartridge

Post by 308magtip »

Is the 32-40 win/Ballard considered a straight walled cartridge? If is it ok for deer hunting in states tha allow SW cartridges ?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 32-40 cartridge

Post by Griff »

I've heard it described most often as a "taper" case. The .38-55 or .375 Win are straight wall cases. The .32-40 has a most definite visual taper to the case. Tapering from .412 just ahead of the extractor groove down to .340 just behind the crimp. As for it's legality in those states requiring a "straight wall" case, you'd have to check with their game enforcement, whatever State agency controls that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

a quick search of articles on the web indicate it is a "rimmed, straight" cartridge. As always check with your local co's.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's a straight walled case.....all straight walled cases have to have some kind of taper so it will "break free" of the chamber after firing so it's only a little "ummppphhh" to break it free. That's one of the first laws of engineering and is especially needed in guns with weaker style extraction systems such as levers, pumps, or semi autos.

It's an easy arguement with a not-so-bright officer trying to give you a citation......just grab a pencil, paper and a cartridge case, then draw a straight line. Nowhere in the regulation book does it say "straight walled taper". The law doesn't say "straight walled sides that are parallel to each other"....Use "their" words in your favor......"straight walled" which it is.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Sixgun I see you are from SE Pa.I am up here in Northeastern Lancaster Co. about 20 mins from the Middle creek wildlife area.Right now the snow geese are passing thru.Quite a sight. As for the 32-40 I had a Win 1894 with a full oct barrell and curved buttstock with a metal butt plate. That gun was very accuirate.It was bought at a hardware store in Ephrata,Pa before WW2. Only thing was I had to pass it to my brother as that was our uncle's wish.In the late 50's early 60's I hunted with that gun where my uncle lived in what is now Yellow Springs or as we called it then Chester Springs. My e-mail tony63@ptd.net Drop a line.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I just measured rounds I loaded for both 32-40 and 38-55. The 38-55 measured .415 right above the rim, and .393 at the case mouth. The 32-40 also measured .415 above the rim and .342 at the case mouth. So either they are both straight walled, or neither are. Unless the states specify the amount or angle of taper permissible.

The 32-40 can be very effective!

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=75541

Note that my 32-40 has a nickel steel barrel so my load may not be safe in old BP barrels.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

308magtip wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:06 pm Sixgun I see you are from SE Pa.I am up here in Northeastern Lancaster Co. about 20 mins from the Middle creek wildlife area.Right now the snow geese are passing thru.Quite a sight. As for the 32-40 I had a Win 1894 with a full oct barrell and curved buttstock with a metal butt plate. That gun was very accuirate.It was bought at a hardware store in Ephrata,Pa before WW2. Only thing was I had to pass it to my brother as that was our uncle's wish.In the late 50's early 60's I hunted with that gun where my uncle lived in what is now Yellow Springs or as we called it then Chester Springs. My e-mail tony63@ptd.net Drop a line.
Up
My email is so screwed up, mostly because my iPad is outdated.....I haven't signed on in several years. Like the phone, I don't care for any kind of those things anymore....or ever did :D

Heck, we probably passed each other at gun shows or auctions...like 2 ships in the dark, cruising along with a Winchester (pre war) hanging on the end of our arms.... :D I know Chester Springs...maybe 20 miles north of me, near Phoenixville. I'm 5 miles south of West Chester and 5 miles west of Media or 8 miles north of Wilmington, de. If any of that makes sense. :D

I get up your way somewhat often spending time in New Holland and Ephrata, Bird in Hand, Intercourse......yea, it's hard to believe the names the Amish come up with. Lots of good auction houses and gun shows up your way....in 30 years I never missed a Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown, nor an auction at Horst.---006
Model A Uzi’s
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

^^^ Don't forget Mount Joy and Blue Ball! In that order! Supposedly undersexed Amish women are prescribed two Mennonite by doctors. LOL
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

kaschi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:56 pm ^^^ Don't forget Mount Joy and Blue Ball! In that order! Supposedly undersexed Amish women are prescribed two Mennonite by doctors. LOL
Oh yea....Blue Ball.....that's much closer to me, maybe 15 miles....

Did you hear about the Amish prostitute? She had 9 Mennonite.

Some of those Amish girls are natural beauties with their blond hair and no make up.

I've been around Amish the better part of my adult life and I've never seen a deformed one or other major disability. The bad ones...and there's bad people in every group......mysteriously disappear. It's cultish for sure and the cops never bother them...

They do beautiful work with quality...they built my barn and reroofed and put new windows in my house.
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

308magtip wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:25 pm Is the 32-40 win/Ballard considered a straight walled cartridge? If is it ok for deer hunting in states tha allow SW cartridges ?
All states that have a so called straight wall rule accept any if these tapered straight wall cases. If there's any shoulder on a case, no matter how slight it may be most will not allow it.
The .32-40 and .38-55 both started life as Marlin Ballard cartridges, yet today they often get the Winchester name tagged to them. Even Winchester made ammo back in the early days identified the ammo as ".32-40 Marlin Ballard rifles" and later added their name also.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You may be OK from a technical standpoint in your "straightwall" state but I'd think you should feel some shame about thinking of using such a big powerful cartridge against the likes of the hapless whitetails thereabouts.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Relating to the post of 1/19/23. I have seen my share of deer in Pa shot but never retrived with calibers such as 222 Rem,all the way to a 458 win mag. Straight wall cartridges are no more than a replacement for 12,20 gauge shotguns with the new modern slugs.No different than a 50 cal muzzle loading rifle. Bullet placement within the range of the firearm and the SHOOTER are the most important next to SAFTEY in hunting.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Hey SIXGUN Next Sat 1/28 Horst has an all gun sale. Might get over as I am only 15 mins from there. Tony Magtip