Sacrilege?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Sacrilege?

Post by OldWin »

Well, now I've done it.
I've owned, shot, and carried 1911s in one form or another for over 30 years. Full size, Commanders, LW Commanders, even a couple Officers (ain't doin that again). The one thing they've ALL had in common was they were chambered as God and JMB intended.
The last couple years I've been contemplating a Commander in 9mm (this is a confession). So, I sold a Glock 21 I didn't use, a set of tires that don't fit any of my vehicles, and bought this Springfield Ronin LW in 9mm. I would have bought a Colt, but the Springfield has a ramped barrel, while the Colt didn't. Thought that may be better with the LW.
It's mostly how I like them. Single side safety (albeit a little more extended than I like), and no frills. I don't care for the two dots on the rear sight. I don't like anything on my rear sights, but not much comes that way these days.
And being an old curmudgeon, I'm not sure about the new fangled fiber optic front. Rather a gold bead on a square post, but oh well.
I stripped it and looked it over, wiped off the factory ooze, and lubed it up.
If it warms up I'll get out and try it.
If someone sees me, I guess I can say it's my wife's pistol. :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sacrilege?

Post by Walt »

Don't be embarrassed. OldWin....it's okay.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Walt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:50 am Don't be embarrassed. OldWin....it's okay.
Thanks man, that really means a lot.
I just felt that I really needed to come clean. Too much guilt to carry. :D
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Now THAT has more style than my Glock 19! 8) Actually it's a G23, but I've got a 9mm conversion barrel for it. :oops:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

So, OW, I like your new squirrel gun. :D
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Elmer is probably telling Skeeter " All I could do is try"..... :D . As long as it works for You that's all that matters.!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I deserve it.

Oh man! I forgot about Elmer and Skeeter. Letting them old boys down really hurts. :oops:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never been a Glock fan, but always been a 1911 fan. So a 1911 in 9mm makes a lot of sense to me. I'm still shooting my old trusty S&W Model 59 in 9mm, so likely wont ever abandon it. But if I ever did it would be for a quality 1911 in the same cartridge.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The manufacturers make what they think will sell the most at the lowest cost to manufacture. We know that. Therefore, we do not judge you for what is available for sale now. If we had our preferences, the younger croud might not buy it. Things change!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

But Jay it doesn't start with a .4 ! :lol:
I like a 1911 in 40 short & weak . Mostly because I already have thousands of rounds of 40 but oh yeah I hate chasing brass !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I’ll admit…I have a ‘72 Combat Commander in 9mm I had Frank Glenn in AZ customize for me, and it’s now my favorite hand gun. :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 9mm is a high quality shooter.
But, a Glock 30S (.45acp) is what is on the nightstand.
My embarrassing secret is that an LCP is what leaves the house with me every day.
The important thing is to never leave home without an EDC.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Blaine wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:05 pm My Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 9mm is a high quality shooter.
But, a Glock 30S (.45acp) is what is on the nightstand.
My embarrassing secret is that an LCP is what leaves the house with me every day.
The important thing is to never leave home without an EDC.
This you tubaman ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoLGC-n4i4
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

harry wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:14 am So, OW, I like your new squirrel gun. :D
Can I borrow it.... :?:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I sometimes carry a Springfield EMP in 9mm. It's a 1911 style but smaller than the Ronin. It is awesome to shoot. Followup shots are very quick. Enjoy it!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys. Strangely enough, the 9s are harder to find than the 45s right now. I'm sure it's cost to shoot influencing this.

So, I just got back from trying it out. Nothing formal, so no targets. Too cold to get very serious. I ran a couple bpxes of 124gr FMJ through it on some plates. It ran great. Very soft shooting, but I think the stock recoil spring is a little light. I may bump it up a little after I get it broken in. It shot really well from what I could see. I'd seen some earlier reviews that said they shot high, but those reviews were from a year or so ago. Maybe SA changed to a taller front sight. I shot it from 10 to 25 yards and it seemed about right to me. The fiber optic front sight is ok. The jury is still out. I don't usually focus on dots, but on the top edge of the front sight, but for faster defensive shooting I can see how it may help.

A lot of what brought this on is my own psychosis. I've loaded 45acp for decades, and have tons of brass and usually keep a bunch of practice ammo loaded.
But try as I might, I can't get effective practice with my pistols, because I'm always worried about losing brass. I can't help myself. I've tried, but I will spend 20 minutes looking for 1 piece of brass while cursing my stupidity the whole time.
Matter of fact, while I was there today, I was prying 45acp brass out of the ice and snow that someone had shot recently.
For some reason, even though I have a toolhead all set up for my Dillon in 9mm, I don't load it. I shot these 2 boxes of 9 today and never even glanced at the brass.
When we used to shoot at indoor ranges in the winter, I shot revolvers. They didn't make any money off me. It was 10 bucks for an hour of range time. Most people would buy a box or two off ammo off the range, go shoot it through their auto in 10 minutes, and leave. Then the range got their brass. Not me. I'd show up with a range bag full of 38 and 357, shoot our full hour, and take all my brass home.

So anyway, I'm hoping with this pistol I'll get some more effective practice at least.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My interest in the 9mm peaked and bottomed out in a Walther P-38, civilian model I had... I traded it off for a mdl 94 Winchester rifle in 30-30, made in 1928. I got some boot with the rifle, not so sure if that'd be the case today.... anyway, if I was to criticise, it'd be because it's a LW... :P I'm guessing that's not actually a reflection on the new owner... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay ya gotta get yourself a tarp and tent stakes to collect brass but im with ya on hunting brass in the weeds!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm Jay ya gotta get yourself a tarp and tent stakes to collect brass but im with ya on hunting brass in the weeds!
I've done that! :D
Only problem is it's hard to move around while shooting. Need a mighty big tarp. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah bud a 40 x 60 should work fine! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:28 pm Yeah bud a 40 x 60 should work fine! :lol:
Haha! Exactly. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'll take ANY 1911 over ANY Glock ANY day of the week!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's a lot of muslims resting comfortably under the sand due to the Israelis prolific use of the 9mm in their Uzi's with standard 124 gr. hardball. I like the two tone look.----006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:52 pm I'll take ANY 1911 over ANY Glock ANY day of the week!
I still have a Glock 19. It's ok, but a soulless tool. Like a hammer that doesn't have a wooden handle. A 1911 is more than the sum of its parts.

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:31 pm There's a lot of muslims resting comfortably under the sand due to the Israelis prolific use of the 9mm in their Uzi's with standard 124 gr. hardball. I like the two tone look.----006
That is very true. While I'll never believe the 9mm beats the good ole 45, shot placement is the ruling factor with any handgun cartridge. I doubt this pistol will ever replace my old Colt LW Commander. 45 as my main carry, but I would certainly carry it without feeling undergunned. I'd rather have 10 rounds of 9 in a 1911 than 15 in a Glock 19. I shoot better with a 1911.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OldWin, don't be too hard on yourself. Even Colonel Cooper cut the 9mm a bit of slack:

Jeff Cooper on the 9mm, “Outdoor Life Complete Book of Shooting,” 1965:

This is a small-case, smokeless-powder cartridge of almost universal popularity. It is the caliber for Europe’s pistols and submachine guns, and it may even become ours if we standardize within NATO. It’s a good round, showing an average of 1120 foot-seconds for its 125-grain bullet, with the usual military handicap of very poor bullet design. The Shooting Associates’ expanding bullet for it weighs 120 grains and moves out at 1175. The Parabellum is generally comparable to the .38 Special, with a little more velocity and a little less weight for the same caliber. Some fine pistols are made for it, but it must always fall short of real stopping efficiency as compared with a big-bore pistol. Its relative stopping power is about half that of the .45 ACP.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm But Jay it doesn't start with a .4 ! :lol:
I like a 1911 in 40 short & weak . Mostly because I already have thousands of rounds of 40 but oh yeah I hate chasing brass !
I call autoloaders spitzenbrass!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I must have missed that writing! I only remember the good colonel hammering on the lowly 9mm. :D

I think I'll like this pistol, if for nothing else, it'll be cheaper to shoot. While I don't have a problem with a 9mm 1911 per se, I'd never have it as my first or only 1911. No way.
I did order some Wilson ETM mags for it last night. I usually have pretty good luck with Wilson mags.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

OH ! a 4+5 mm in a 1911, sounds better now, don't it ?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

1894cfan wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:59 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm But Jay it doesn't start with a .4 ! :lol:
I call autoloaders spitzenbrass!
I like that, im stealing it :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Gunny, be my guest. Let's see if we can make it an actual word! :mrgreen: Matter of fact, autoloaders ought to be called spitzers 'cause they spit brass everywhere! :lol: :P
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

We've taken to calling them "Self Commencers", although I'm not the originator of the term.

Speaking of 9mm, just yesterday I read that the young man who took out the Indiana mall shooter last summer used plain old CCI Blazer ball ammo. Surprised me, given the lousy reputation 9mm ball has.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

samsi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:23 pm We've taken to calling them "Self Commencers", although I'm not the originator of the term.

Speaking of 9mm, just yesterday I read that the young man who took out the Indiana mall shooter last summer used plain old CCI Blazer ball ammo. Surprised me, given the lousy reputation 9mm ball has.
That is surprising. I guess I'm not going adopt that practice, however.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Yeah, me either, but good to know it can still close the deal in a pinch.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

4t5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:41 pm OH ! a 4+5 mm in a 1911, sounds better now, don't it ?
Maybe it is a .38 short.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:26 pm
4t5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:41 pm OH ! a 4+5 mm in a 1911, sounds better now, don't it ?
Maybe it is a .38 short.

Haha yeah.

Well, full disclosure.......I packed a .32acp when I was a young feller. My first concealed carry gun. Matter of fact, I still have one. In 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless guise.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

My favorite 9mm "pistol". It does go through a lot of ammo quickly. My G-kids love it though. On the falling plate racks, they rarely miss using the red dot.
20220824_171609.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

jkbrea wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 am My favorite 9mm "pistol". It does go through a lot of ammo quickly. My G-kids love it though. On the falling plate racks, they rarely miss using the red dot.

20220824_171609.jpg
So what is that carbine?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brian, go ya one better: .38 Rimless Short .... :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill, I like that.