Gamekeeper: What is a Jackdaw?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Gamekeeper: What is a Jackdaw?

Post by Old No7 »

In your posting on Nath's recent hunt...
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:06 pm Keep these stories coming Nath, I've been here since the 5th Dec and have only seen a squirrel 3 times and no wabbits the place is full of crows, magpies and jackdaws but I can't do a thing about it :cry: I will have to get me a Cattie (slingshot) for my country walks.. :wink:
John, could you kindly enlighten those of us across the pond on what a Jackdaw is?

And what would be the right caliber of levergun to use on them? :wink:

Cheers mate!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gamekeeper: What is a Jackdaw?

Post by wvfarrier »

Its a bird similar to a blackbird but smaller if I recall correctly
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl, it's like a small crow, highly intelligent and a big pest, at nesting time it can fill a chimney with sticks to build a nest and quite a few houses have burnt down as a result, gamekeepers hate them as like their cousins Crows, Rooks, Jays and Magpies they steal eggs and chicks.
dsc03864.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you would really like these 18” ravens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:01 pm Well, you would really like these 18” ravens.
We got them too and they are protected but getting more common, I understand that they are hard to kill with a .410 and take more than a couple of shots, don't know where I heard that..... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are protected here too but so is the desert tortoise which they kill. They chase the red tail hawks but are themselves harassed by the mocking birds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is an air show almost everyday at the golf course with these birds and whatever Lockheed and Northrop are flying that day. Used to be the SR 71 or B1 or B2s or the U2. Various fighters at times. Here is the B2 flying over.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:23 pm There is an air show almost everyday at the golf course.....
Here is the B2 flying over.....
Yup, more than a .410 is needed for that one too! :wink:

Thanks all!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:35 pm
Old Savage wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:23 pm There is an air show almost everyday at the golf course.....
Here is the B2 flying over.....
Yup, more than a .410 is needed for that one too! :wink:

Thanks all!

Old No7
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Jack bloody daws! They keep trying to overthrow my chimney every spring! I have to play cat and mouse with them until they lose every morning in spring!
Ravens! Don't start me on them bloody things!

"With my aging eyes I sometimes can't tell what I just shot at your honour "....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!