I'm Gonna....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I'm Gonna....

Post by JimT »

Dedicated to all those who are thinking of hunting with a handgun but have yet to do so.
(another oldie from the Sixgunner.Com website)

"I'm gonna hunt deer this year with my handgun!" Have you ever made that statement or one similar, but have yet to follow through with it? Are you one of those thinking about hunting something with a handgun but have not yet actually done it? When thinking about it, do you suddenly have a myriad of questions, worries, thoughts and ideas whirling around in your head? If so you are not alone.

A week hardly goes by that we do not get questions from readers dealing with this very subject. It seems the idea of hunting with a handgun is very appealing to many hunters - but actually doing it is another thing. The concerns run from "will my gun work for this?" to "does my load have enough power?" to "will it be humane?" and everything in between. Very few question their own ability though that is proper place to start.

Some would-be handgun hunters worry about the power level of their handgun. I receive e-mail asking "Does my "_____________" (fill in the blank with your particular sixgun) have enough power to kill a deer?" Let me answer by saying this: This short article is not intended as a do-all be-all "how to properly hunt with handguns" article. Therefore I do not intend to get into bullets, load data, trajectories and power levels. I am assuming you either can find those answers websites. A short answer would be, "For most deer-sized game and smaller, the .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, & .45 Colt with the correct ammo will work just fine." Using the right cartridges, within certain distances, and hitting the animal in the proper place they will take deer cleanly and humanely. So will a number of other handgun calibers.

So, assuming you have a handgun with sufficient power and the proper bullets to take the type of animal you will be hunting, your own skill level is the place to begin when undertaking to hunt with handgun.

MISTAKES

Many novice handgun hunters (who may be experienced rifle hunters) often make the mistake of taking both a rifle and pistol. The idea seems to be something like this, "If it's too long a shot I can use the rifle" It is a commendable idea in theory but it rarely works in real life.

Don't misunderstand me. It is never wrong to have a backup gun. Mechanical things do break at the worst time. But I have found that if you are hunting, carrying both a rifle and a pistol, and you happen to jump some game you will use what you have in your hand at the moment. Even hunting from a blind sometimes does not allow a person the time to choose which gun they are going to use.

My suggestion is: Make a commitment and stick with it. If you are going to Handgun Hunt, go for it 100%.

PRACTICE

Some hunter's confidence problems are simply a lack of practical experience. They have no idea as to how to judge distances or where the vitals are located in the animals body and the shot placement needed to reach them from different angles. Some have never learned how to stalk game.

I know that not everyone can afford to hunt big game all the time. But you can hunt squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, foxes, and other varmints. You can practice on targets at unknown distances. Get out in the woods and hills as much as possible where you can follow some of the critters, look them over, observe them and learn. Study photographs of different animals. Learn to visualize where the heart/lungs lay and the angles required to reach them. Practice shooting on small targets. Practice shooting on targets while standing up on your hind legs. Don't practice from a bench rest. Shoot in the positions that you will use in the field.

When I first started hunting Javelina my success ratio was poor.... about the State average. (then it was around 25%). I began practicing by jogging up a mountainside until I was huffing pretty hard (it would not take much now to make me do that!) then shooting a 14" car rim at 150 yards offhand. My shooting was miserable at first, but as I kept on I found I was improving. In addition I began going out in the hills and finding Javelina, then following them around to see what they do and where they go. Since that time I never failed to bag a Javelina.

I practiced estimating ranges to various objects and visualizing the sight picture I needed. And I practiced shooting at unknown distances. It all helped. By the way... I find that I normally estimate distances further than they are. I have rarely missed a shot by shooting too low. Most of my misses have been "over" instead of "under". It is good to know your own weaknesses.

I also practiced on targets much smaller than what I was going to be shooting. Learn to hit the little ones and the big ones seem easy!

SUGGESTIONS

I would stick with one gun and one load. Find an accurate load with enough power for what you are going to hunt. Learn where it hits at all the distances you will be using it, from the muzzle to your maximum range. Your maximum range should be the distance at which you can put your shots into the kill zone when winded, excited or scared. For some shooters that is further than for others. Know your limitations and stay within them! For most people I would suggest staying inside 50 yards, at least until you have quite a bit of experience under your belt. I try to get as close as I can.

Practice stalking game. Go out when it's not deer season armed with a camera. See how close you can get to that Whitetail and snap his picture. Try to sneak up on a Coyote. Learn to use the wind and the sun. Muzzle energy is rated AT THE MUZZLE. Get them as close to the muzzle as practical. It's much easier to place your shot at close distances.

Bullet placement is EVERYTHING. Target shooting is not a waste of time. Shooting paper will tell you whether you have good control, a good load, a good trigger let-off.... and it does not lie. It is embarrassing sometimes though.........

Know your limitations and stay within them. There is nothing wrong with passing up a shot that you do not feel comfortable about. It is the honorable thing to do.

FINALLY

Know your particular State laws as to what handguns and loads you can hunt with. Each State can be different. Get in touch with your Game & Fish Dept. and find out for sure.

One of these days you may surprise yourself. The first time you bag that deer, or coyote, or groundhog... with your sixgun... you will know a sense of accomplishment. And you will be on your way to becoming a Handgun Hunter.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm Gonna....

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pretty much guilty on all counts, Jim. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I consider myself a fair pistol shot, I know that I'm not good enough to hunt with a handgun. All of those things that you mention, stalking, estimating distance, time in the woods, I lack. Great article Jim, and great advice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The way I did it this year is I simply did not take a rifle with me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I took out my 629PP with Speed Dot for many years. From a sitting position, elbows firmly supported on knees, I was good out to fifty yards or so. The 629PP was the berries for taking off the head of a grouse.
I had my 1895GS along as well for woods walking.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I might be a Brit but when we still had handguns hunting with them was not allowed BUT I still went after squirrels and once shot a fox with a .22 Astra revolver... :wink: even went after squirrels unsuccessfully with a flintlock pistol. I would rather take a deer with a handgun than a high-powered scope sighted rifle just for the challenge.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you hunt deer from a stand, nothing beats getting in that stand and shooting at some gallon-jugs of water placed out where you would expect deer. You'll know right away if you're "ready"...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Back when I first considered handgun hunting for deer here in Oregon F&G required us to go to them and get your tag stamped for "handgun only" in order to hunt with a handgun. So once you chose to hunt with a handgun there was no changing your mind for that particular tag.
I decided not to do so for buck deer, but instead waited until I drew a doe tag for the same unit as there were plenty of opportunities to get a shot closer on does than on bucks. I got my doe tag, and went through the process. I had already spent time during the summer practicing with my S&W 25 in .45 Colt with 8 3/8" barrel at distances out to 100 yds. I chose that distance as my personal limit since I could keep group sizes small, and easily judge this distance.
I was fortunate to come upon a herd of does opening morning still not having gotten out of their beds at first light. We simply got within distance and waited as I could only see heads and necks, and I wanted an easier shoulder shot. We were maybe 80 yds. away and after about 15 minutes they began to stand up one at a time. Once I saw a doe without a fawn that was clear for a good shoot I put my sights on her and dropped her with one shot. Surprisingly most of the others didn't break and run! We sat there a few minutes until they began to trot off, and then approached the downed doe. A big gal, and the 250 gr. cast lead bullet at around 1050 fps did a great with a shoulder shot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 pm Back when I first considered handgun hunting for deer here in Oregon F&G required us to go to them and get your tag stamped for "handgun only" in order to hunt with a handgun. So once you chose to hunt with a handgun there was no changing your mind for that particular tag.
I decided not to do so for buck deer, but instead waited until I drew a doe tag for the same unit as there were plenty of opportunities to get a shot closer on does than on bucks. I got my doe tag, and went through the process. I had already spent time during the summer practicing with my S&W 25 in .45 Colt with 8 3/8" barrel at distances out to 100 yds. I chose that distance as my personal limit since I could keep group sizes small, and easily judge this distance.
I was fortunate to come upon a herd of does opening morning still not having gotten out of their beds at first light. We simply got within distance and waited as I could only see heads and necks, and I wanted an easier shoulder shot. We were maybe 80 yds. away and after about 15 minutes they began to stand up one at a time. Once I saw a doe without a fawn that was clear for a good shoot I put my sights on her and dropped her with one shot. Surprisingly most of the others didn't break and run! We sat there a few minutes until they began to trot off, and then approached the downed doe. A big gal, and the 250 gr. cast lead bullet at around 1050 fps did a great with a shoulder shot.
That's the sort of shot that memories are made from.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:16 am
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 pm Back when I first considered handgun hunting for deer here in Oregon F&G required us to go to them and get your tag stamped for "handgun only" in order to hunt with a handgun. So once you chose to hunt with a handgun there was no changing your mind for that particular tag.
That's the sort of shot that memories are made from.... :mrgreen:
For some reason I have detailed recollections of every deer hunt I ever took a deer on, and a few unsuccessful hunts too! Don't recall the exact years, but the hunts are vivid still. My wife says I have selective memory because I recall over 40 deer taken, but can't tell her something from last week.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have done a tiny bit of handgun hunting. Practice more than I did. You won't regret the practice you put in.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:15 pm I have done a tiny bit of handgun hunting. Practice more than I did. You won't regret the practice you put in.
AMEN!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:32 pm .
If you hunt deer from a stand, nothing beats getting in that stand and shooting at some gallon-jugs of water placed out where you would expect deer. You'll know right away if you're "ready"...
A very good idea.