From 1961

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

From 1961

Post by JimT »

Jim Taylor.JPG
When I was 13 I bought a 1941 International pickup and made a Desert Buggy out of it. There were a group of us boys who had them and we would run all over Paradise Valley, Arizona. There were very few homes at the time and Scottsdale Road was dirt from Bell Road on north.

Sometimes I would drive my buggy to School and park it across the road from the School. The buggies were great fun! We did not do as much damage to the environment as the developers did a few years later when they came in and ripped out all the desert plants and covered the valley with blacktop, concrete, shopping centers and houses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: From 1961

Post by 2ndovc »

Bet that was fun!

During my high school years, a couple of us had Jeep CJ 5s and 7s. We take them out to the farms belonging to family and friends and have a blast. Mine was a '79 CJ7 that I'd give just about anything to have back. 8)

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great picture Jim of a much simpler time. once every fall put plugs, points & condenser in an engine , really feeling froggy a distributor cap , rotor and wires. I still have my old dwell meter and timing light. You could sit on one of the front tires of that buggy and work on the motor.! Love it. :D .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In 1963 I bought a '47 International panel truck from my uncle who had just parked it behind his barn when the soft plugs rotted out! $25 whopping bucks! I worked for him summers, and helped with the fall harvest also. So I put new soft plugs in it, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the bench seat the mice had eaten. Drove it around the farm occasionally until I turned 16 and got my license, and then it was my back and forth to school and work rig. I miss it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I never had that kind of fun. Mid 1960s, prolly fifth or sixth grade, I ran across an article in Popular Mechanics on how to build a simple generic "Tote Goat" type minibike using a horizontal-shaft Briggs lawn mower engine and begged Dad to help me. A. He did not approve of motorized two-wheel vehicles. B. He was a forestry professor and not a welder/mechanic. So I was SOL.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was 15 in the photo of me and my buggy. I sold it later that year and bought a 1947 Merc coupe. It did not have an engine or transmission but it did have a dropped front axle! (for you guys who never had the old cars, that lowered the front end by about 4" depending on what was done.)

I got a 53 Ford V8 and had it bored .125" ... stroked it to 4" by using a Mercury crank .. full race cam .. Mallory dual point ignition .. dual carbs .. Fenton headers ... milled heads .. shaved the flywheel .. installed a 12" truck clutch and I was off to the races. Compression was so high I had to go to an 8 volt battery to crank it. The lights were nice and bright. Wasn't 16 yet and didn't have a drivers license .. but it would run.
1947_Mecury.JPG
Ford_flathead_V8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like the fancy roll bars Jim.......yea...they were the days. I caught the tail end of that era.

Where'd you keep your beer?
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Back when a car was a car, and not a computer with four wheels! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For me it was 1965, and I was 15, bought the neighbors '50 Ford Woody, for $35 without a battery. My Dad was so PO'd he made the neighbor give my money back and promised a better vehicle. We took his '59 Apache 3100 and pulled the Chevy six and dropped in the 354 Hemi from our boat. Earlier that year my Dad had bought a '57 Chrysler 300 with a 392 Hemi and had it built into a 406 ci, 650 hp engine. We pulled a 3 speed trans from a '53 DeSoto and mated it to the 354 for the truck. It'd burn the tires off from a standing stop in 3rd gear. I traded it off for a '55 Chevy Handyman wagon (2 dr), with a 283 and powerglide. Perfect car for a southern California kid that surfed & water-skied his way thru high school. Sure wish I still had it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:47 am Bet that was fun!

During my high school years, a couple of us had Jeep CJ 5s and 7s. We take them out to the farms belonging to family and friends and have a blast. Mine was a '79 CJ7 that I'd give just about anything to have back. 8)

jb 8)
I learned to drive stick in my grandfathers 64 CJ-5 . Later I had a 78 CJ-5 . His was a 4 cylinder that was plenty stout , mine had a V-8 that honestly was to stout for the drivetrain even though it came that way from the factory . But being in your 20’s and plenty liquid lubrication from the adult beverage store helped tear up rear ends and trannies in that Jeep.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !