Goex returns!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Goex returns!

Post by marlinman93 »

For those who shoot black powder and liked Goex and Olde Ensford, there's great news! The factory is back up and running, so hopefully products will hit the shelves shortly!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Goex returns!

Post by Shasta »

That's very good news to me. I have been using Goex for decades and for the last few years I have been using Olde Eynsford in my black powder cartridge rifles.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

EXCELLENT!

And Blue Dot isn't going away! Double win!!! :D
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Two big questions: when will stocking dealers be supplied and the per pound will be??....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Ray Newman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:23 pm Two big questions: when will stocking dealers be supplied and the per pound will be??....
Not many dealers, shops, and chain stores are sticking black powder these days due to the recent updates and much more stringent storage requirements. My LGS who always used to stock BP let his license go because BP storage requirements and licensing got to be too ridiculous. BP substitutes remain classified as propellants the same as smokeless so they remain abundant in local supply. But they have gone off the deep end with real black. Keep an eye on the good online suppliers like Powder Valley, Graf and Sons, etc.

I used to use Goex in my front stuffers for years. But since Goex dried up I recently restocked myself with Schuetzen which has proven to be very good as well.

All said, I'm very happy to hear that Goex and Old E will be available again soon! 🙂
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray .. Back in October I bought from Powder Valley online. There were several of us who made an order and one Hazmat fee covered it all, so splitting the shipping and the Hazmat did not increase the cost of the powder very much at all. If you can do it that way it works pretty well.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Glad to hear it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, is there any more to report? I have asked about this on a couple of other forums.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:46 am Vall, is there any more to report? I have asked about this on a couple of other forums.
Since I just read it yesterday on a muzzleloading forum it's tough to update 24 hrs. later.
The new owners simply released the announcement that they are now back up producing BP, so my guess would be it will be at least 60 days before anything hits most gun store shelves.
Estes Energetics Inc. purchased Goex one year ago, so it's taken the last 12 months to rebuild, and get things going. So that part isn't new news. Estes is a rocket propulsion company mostly, but Goex was purchased to diversify into the sporting gunpowder field.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not a BP shooter, but I am glad to see Goex coming back. More shooters is a good thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm very familiar with one of Estes divisions.

https://estesrockets.com/

Estes was the model rocket company of my youth.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

jdad wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:57 pm I'm very familiar with one of Estes divisions.

https://estesrockets.com/

Estes was the model rocket company of my youth.

I did a few of them growing up. They were a lot of fun! Tell ya what though, when I stepped up to a C6-5 engine, that was the last launch as I never recovered one that was powered with a C6-5 🤣 Man did they go up there!
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

I launched off Estes rockets in my youth also. Recently I bought a couple kits and a launch kit. I had a bunch of C6-5 engines left over and gave it all to a friend's 9-year-old. We successfully launched the rockets on their farm and soon found out that a plastic Kroger bag makes a better parachute than the original.....Bob
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back about 1973 or 74, my Dad bought an Estes Rocket. We fired it at Grandma's farm. I don't remember what happened, but it had 2 motors in the package. First one was hard to ignite, but it all went well. My older brothers chased it down. I think the second launch burned up the parachute and it crashed. Again, I am not really sure. We never fired one again.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a friend back in the Midwest whose into rockets and just told me in a message yesterday he's building some new rocket he thinks will hit 30,000 ft.! My question was how do you retrieve it when it goes that high and you've lost sight of it? Must have some tracker in it to allow you to find it? And you'd need a big open desert to ensure it drops where it can be recovered.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:32 pm I have a friend back in the Midwest whose into rockets and just told me in a message yesterday he's building some new rocket he thinks will hit 30,000 ft.! My question was how do you retrieve it when it goes that high and you've lost sight of it? Must have some tracker in it to allow you to find it? And you'd need a big open desert to ensure it drops where it can be recovered.
Seems as though I've read somewhere that if your rockets are capable of over a certain altitude you have to be licensed or something? 30000 feet is up there in airliner territory! 🤣 I would have to suspect there to be only certain areas like you say where he would even be permitted to launch such a rocket. With the winds aloft at that altitude the thing could drift miles and miles before touching back down. I would probably put some sort of tracker on it. Might even be required at that level of the game? Sure is interesting though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

RIDERED350r wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:54 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:32 pm I have a friend back in the Midwest whose into rockets and just told me in a message yesterday he's building some new rocket he thinks will hit 30,000 ft.! My question was how do you retrieve it when it goes that high and you've lost sight of it? Must have some tracker in it to allow you to find it? And you'd need a big open desert to ensure it drops where it can be recovered.
Seems as though I've read somewhere that if your rockets are capable of over a certain altitude you have to be licensed or something? 30000 feet is up there in airliner territory! 🤣 I would have to suspect there to be only certain areas like you say where he would even be permitted to launch such a rocket. With the winds aloft at that altitude the thing could drift miles and miles before touching back down. I would probably put some sort of tracker on it. Might even be required at that level of the game? Sure is interesting though.
He lives in Minnesota and did mention a trip to the desert SW to fire this off. Possibly some "meeting' of people who do the same thing there?
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

What fantastic news! I've haven't been shooting my 45-100 or Trapdoors much in order to conserve powder. The '51 navy and 32 flinter are my only black powder guns that have seen much action lately aside from hunting.

Eric