16.5” R92 Octagon from full sized

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

16.5” R92 Octagon from full sized

Post by Bearskinner »

I picked up a 24” Stainless Steel Octagon 357 Rossi R92, but really like the shorter handier length barrels. Should be pretty simple to cut it back, ( and mag tube) and have the dovetail re-cut. Anyone have one like this? I’m just wondering how much nicer it handles. I’ll find out soon. Also wondering if the 7.5” cut off would make a nice Blackhawk octagon barrel. As it’s already crowned, and has a dovetail, just need a competent smith thread it, and remove the perfect amount ov metal to clock the sight perfectly, then D&T the ejector housing screw.
Sort of a kill 2 guns with one project starter.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 16.5” R92 Octagon from full sized

Post by earlmck »

I can't testify about "handiness" -- I'm a fellow who shoots mostly off-hand and I therefore am quite fond of that 24" octagon bbl.

As for using the cut-off portion in a revolver I would avoid that because the rifle makers use a stoopid slow twist for rifles so that they won't handle the heavy-for-caliber bullets we might like to run in them. You'll end up with a revolver nicely suited to the firing of 200 grain bullets that may not handle anything heavier with accuracy. I have a mould that produces a beautiful 300 grain gas-checked long-flat-nose bullet of which I have shot a bunch in my Redhawk revolver and would really like to use in my Rossi rifle. But that bullet falls apart in the accuracy department anywhere past 100 yards out of the rifle and that is with rifle velocities.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another point to consider in the rifle bbl on a pistol is the outside dimension. Rossi makes heavy weight taper octagon bbls. At least my 20" one is, it would need to have all the flats recut to be correct for a pistol bbl. A caliper will tell you what's needed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I can't offer gunsmithing advice, but I can say a pistol cartridge chambered 16" Trapper is a joy to shoot and carry. The two are a a peas n carrots match.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've shot both 24" and 16" octagonal leverguns.
Like to carry the short one better.
Like to shoot the long one better.
Either does the job well enough I don't feel slighted.

But...I tend to use aperture sights and even optics, so that makes a difference.

Many people I talk to say they like the 'hang' of longer barrels when shooting offhand; I think they mean 'stability' sort of. I'm probably not a good enough shot for it to matter, but the competitive guys can tell, and seem to have preferences.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I've cut several damaged 1892,1873,1894 to 20" which I really like . Which involved cutting the tube,spring, and radial dovetail.

Winchester however when short rifles were ordered they generally shortened the chamber end in 1" increments.
This resulted in a more balanced shorter forend with longer sight radius.

The standard 9 3/8" forend found occasionally down to 18" barrels

The intermediate 8 3/8" forend found most commonly down to 18"

The short 7 3/8" forend found on the shortest barrels especially below 16"

16" barrel I suggest shortening the chamber end and forend for best Ballance and longest sight radius .
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Heading into town today, to my FFL to pick it up. I’ll play with it with the 24 inch barrel before any alterations are considered. I’m curious what kind of “clean up” may be needed on the action and loading gate. I’m sure the velocity and accuracy will be substantially enhanced with the long barrel.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I doubt that the velocity will be 'substantially' enhanced by the 24" barrel. It could even be less. I could totally be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that (for example) a .22 lr will be faster out of a 16" barrel than 24" barrel because at some point, once max velocity is achieved then the rest of the barrel is just providing extra friction and slowing the bullet down. I'm assuming that pistol cartridges which have faster powders meant for shorter barrels would act similarly. I could totally be wrong and maybe it will still gain velocity all the way out to 24" but I wouldn't be surprised if little to nothing is actually gained by that extra 10" . accuracy maybe though.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

FLINT wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:40 pm I doubt that the velocity will be 'substantially' enhanced by the 24" barrel. It could even be less. I could totally be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that (for example) a .22 lr will be faster out of a 16" barrel than 24" barrel because at some point, once max velocity is achieved then the rest of the barrel is just providing extra friction and slowing the bullet down. I'm assuming that pistol cartridges which have faster powders meant for shorter barrels would act similarly. I could totally be wrong and maybe it will still gain velocity all the way out to 24" but I wouldn't be surprised if little to nothing is actually gained by that extra 10" . accuracy maybe though.
My experience with handgun cartridge chambered carbines is limited to 45 Colt, but I suspect similar results with 357.

I have a Win 94 Trapper (16") and a Henry Big Boy (20"). Over the chrony, the 16" Trapper sends my handloaded 250gr XTP right at 1700fps. The Henry sends the exact same load 1600fps. I recently picked up a new Winchester 1892 Short Rifle in 45 Colt with a 20" barrel but I haven't run that one over the chrony yet.

Big Horn Armorys load sheets show that the higher capacity 460 and 500 Smiths peak with a 22" barrel.

I agree with your estimation based on my testing. Case capacity and burn rates are the main factors in what makes the best barrel length for highest velocity.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I’m pleasantly surprised at the balance and feel of the little R92, even at 24”. Cycling the action, it is very light, although the trigger has some creep. The wood to metal fit is also pleasantly acceptable, and the dark wood against the stainless is nice. This example is a much nicer specimens than the first one I purchased 15 years ago.
It might be worth a try loading some loads with a 180 grain bullet I use in my MAX, and play with a little slower powders. So I guess no cutting, for now.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Bearskinner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:16 am I’m pleasantly surprised at the balance and feel of the little R92, even at 24”. Cycling the action, it is very light, although the trigger has some creep. The wood to metal fit is also pleasantly acceptable, and the dark wood against the stainless is nice. This example is a much nicer specimens than the first one I purchased 15 years ago.
It might be worth a try loading some loads with a 180 grain bullet I use in my MAX, and play with a little slower powders. So I guess no cutting, for now.
Good deal! I've been hearing reports that their quality of finish is improving. How is the loading gate cutout in the receiver? Smooth or sharp? That seems to have been one of the biggest and most frequent complaints I've seen.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I have not had time to do much more than cycle it a few times, and look it over. I did stick a pendulum in there, and it did not shave wood, so I lightly put my little finger in there, it wasn’t bad. I’ll sand the loading gate area for sure, and with all the wood off lightly remove the sharp areas. It’s a bit too shiny, except the barrel is nicely brushed, so I’ll use a worn scotch brite and lightly dull it, then try it out.
Looking like rain slush and snow till after the weekend, so next week