New LEVERGUN cartridge?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New LEVERGUN cartridge?

Post by RIDERED350r »

cas wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:48 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:25 pm
Would you be so kind as to measure the case length of the 360BH and post your findings?
Sorry I didn't see this till just now.

Thank you Sir 🍻
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

I'm in a situation that might benefit from the Buckhammer. I grew up a Buckeye, and hunted for several years under the shotgun-only rules. Once I got access to land in Kentucky, I crossed the bridge and haven't gone back in over 20 years.

I have a 200 acre farm in SW Bracken County, about 10 miles from the Ohio River. It would be nice to hunt Ohio. When the new PCR rules came out, I started working on a suitable rifle. I'll be honest, once a guy like me takes a 30-06 and pole-axes a 275 lb buck across a pasture, there really is no going home. I tried 30-30, 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum. None of these gave me the warm fuzzies, but I've kept trying. I currently have a ratbag Marlin 336 in the back of the safe that I'm pondering sending off to JES for a rebore. I'd originally thought 38-55, but 360 Buckhammer looks even better, at least to my taste.

Back about decade ago, I took on a project to make all my 35-somethings capable of shooting cast lead. That list included 357 Mag pistols and rifles, and a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. With the way things were looking at the time, it looked like a prudent step. You probably know this: the selection of .358 bullets and 358 molds is much better than .375. Half the time, I can't find a deer-ready jacketed .375 bullet in stock. The 360 Buckhammer would just fit right in. I've got all the fixings already.

Now that I'm retired, I'll have the time now to run deer camp in Kentucky, close up shop and trot over to Ohio for a week. At the very least, I'd like to be able to spend a day or two in KY's season kicking it up old school with an Ohio-ready gun. However, I'm not as thrilled with that idea when I look at my 12 GA bone crushers on the wall and remember what a 3 inch slug load feels like.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, Kentucky
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shaman, nothing quite as bracing as bench-testing three-inch Brennekes is there? :lol:
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

I finally said enuf! and went back to 2 3/4 Remmie Sluggers.

I just had a bum realization: a 30-30 can't be rebored to 360 BuckHammer. Drat.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, Kentucky
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I grew up hunting in a shotgun only area in the 80s and 90s and it SUCKED. We used Brenekes as they were the best option back then. when I moved to a rifle county the first thing I did was buy a 30-30 and never touched the shotgun again. 30-30 had like 1/10th the recoil and was 10 times better at killing deer - so according to my math, that makes it at least 100 times better. I couldn't believe how accurate the 30-30 was and how quickly it put deer down. After hunting with smoothbore shotguns exclusively, the 30-30 was like a space age lazer gun. SO, if I lived in a state that had the straightwall requirement, I'd be first in line for the 360 Buckhammer! Sounds like the best option for those states - especially since ammo will likely actually be available and not $80 per box (like 38-55).
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I agree with a previous comment;
I am glad that I live in Texas!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

shaman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:22 am I finally said enuf! and went back to 2 3/4 Remmie Sluggers.

I just had a bum realization: a 30-30 can't be rebored to 360 BuckHammer. Drat.
375 Winchester would still be a good option I'm guessing...

There are a number of wildcats out there of course but getting a custom barrel for them is expensive and a lot of times feeding could be an issue without the internals being modified a little bit.

Lots of cartridges have been available and break open single shots however, so don't discount that option. It's pretty rare to need a second shot and generally if you've got one in your hand or on a rifle buttstock cartridge holder, a follow-up shot is fairly fast.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I hunted for half my hunting life in a shotgun only area, wishing I could use a rifle. That's what got me into single shot shotguns, always seeing deer too far for the slug gun.

About 15 years ago they switched it to rifle. Since then, the farthest deer I've shot was about 70 yards. Most of them under 45 yards. :roll:

I was thinking about this again today, while shooting a rifle firing 600+ gr bullets at around 1100 fps. I have more than a few with similar ballistics. What irony.
Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm still wondering what it does that the .375 Winchester doesn't.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:23 pm I'm still wondering what it does that the .375 Winchester doesn't.
Meets the 1.800" maximum case length limitation in one or two of the straight wall only states.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:47 pm
Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:23 pmI'm still wondering what it does that the .375 Winchester doesn't.
Meets the 1.800" maximum case length limitation in one or two of the straight wall only states.
Yeah,well... other'n that, just a warmed over 357 Maximum, that's still a too skinny cartridge! Obviously, the additional .02" in diameter is of great benefit!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:34 pm
Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:23 pmI'm still wondering what it does that the .375 Winchester doesn't.
Yeah,well... other'n that, just a warmed over 357 Maximum, that's still a too skinny cartridge! Obviously, the additional .02" in diameter is of great benefit!
I hear ya.

I live in a state where we can use anything from a 223 to 700NE. But if I lived and hunted where such restrictions had to be complied with, the 360BH would be pretty attractive to me.

My 45-60WCF doesn't even meet the 1.800" case length limit. It comes in .065" over. Everything I own would be off limits except for my two rifles chambered in 45 Colt.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:38 pm
I hear ya.
I live in a state where we can use anything from a 223 to 700NE. But if I lived and hunted where such restrictions had to be complied with, the 360BH would be pretty attractive to me.
My 45-60WCF doesn't even meet the 1.800" case length limit. It comes in .065" over. Everything I own would be off limits except for my two rifles chambered in 45 Colt.
Yeah, no such restrictions here, I'd have never moved here if there were... and where those restrictions exist, it gets too cold for me! If only it weren't in a Henry. :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:06 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:38 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:47 pmMeets the 1.800" maximum case length limitation in one or two of the straight wall only states.
I hear ya.
Yeah, no such restrictions here, I'd have never moved here if there were... and where those restrictions exist, it gets too cold for me! If only it weren't in a Henry. :(
Bet you can't guess where I live with the rules being 22cal and up, no rimfire for big game. I think you would be shocked
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

probably Alaska

for Deer In VA the minimum caliber is I think .23 cal. centerfire (in counties that allow rifles that is). that's the only regulation. pistols must produce at least 350 ft. lbs. airguns must be at least 35 cal. muzzleloading rifles must be at least 40 cal.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The only thing we can't use here is. 22 short, long, or LR. The .22 magnum is good to go. Right along with anything else.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

In terms of handguns, the only requirement is centerfire. So we can use everything from 25ACP to 500 Bushwacker with handguns.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

FLINT wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:49 pm probably Alaska

for Deer In VA the minimum caliber is I think .23 cal. centerfire (in counties that allow rifles that is). that's the only regulation. pistols must produce at least 350 ft. lbs. airguns must be at least 35 cal. muzzleloading rifles must be at least 40 cal.
NYS.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

He answered all the stuff we have already discussed above.
After Henry announces it I might just order one!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck Hawks has a good article about the legendary Load . . .

He's good with numbers and he catches those who are not . . .

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

CAS: Watcha shootin' with 600 grains at 1100? Puts me in mind of a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 with mild target loads ... 8)
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

1894cfan wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:45 pm Why not just legit the 35-30/30? :? :roll:
exactly! might as well add the 375win, 38-55, 444 and 45/70 too!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I understand that it is not needed everywhere. In Texas, the limits are pretty much no limits. If it brings a few more people into our group of hunters and/or firearms users, then it cannot be too bad. Maybe there are other guns which cover the bases it covers. I am not not planning on buying anything in this new caliber, but I am not going to stop anyone or put anyone down for doing that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:05 pm I understand that it is not needed everywhere. In Texas, the limits are pretty much no limits. If it brings a few more people into our group of hunters and/or firearms users, then it cannot be too bad. Maybe there are other guns which cover the bases it covers. I am not not planning on buying anything in this new caliber, but I am not going to stop anyone or put anyone down for doing that.
And as has already mentioned, remington keeping the .358" swager in use might eventually prompt them to finally fill the half-million or so .35 remington backorders.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good point. .35 Remington is one of my favorite calibers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

4t5 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:08 pm GunnyMack, check this out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sA5htOvczs,
ok, I was just about to post that same link.

I've seen a few of this guys videos and know that he is a huge fan of the 35 rem and that it is his primary hunting rifle. He also was concerned that the introduction of the 360 buckhammer would have a negative effect on the production of 35 rem ammo - However, the Remington rep explains that actually, it's quite the opposite. Since the 360 buckhammer will use the same corelokt bullets as the 35 rem, they will actually be producing MORE 35 rem ammo. So that's GOOD news.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is interesting, but as usual the politicians that limit case length to a particular number on the premise that it controls how far the bullet can travel are STARK RAVING MAD ! ! !

iraqveteran8888 proved that .22LR, with a case length of about 0.793 inches, produces lethal hits out to at least 440 yards, which is a quarter of a mile. Based on careful testing using the pine board method....

someone else made accurate hits at over 700 yards, but I don't know if that was a lethal strike.

someone else made tests on beef roasts with full penetration at 400 yards, couldn't find that video.

point is, the premise that instigated the scramble for a 35 with a short case, is totally insane.

politicians should not be able to make laws that stupid. uh . . . ,

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well Grizz , it sure makes Me feel safe here in Ohio that a 38-40 or 44-40 are banned as they must be too powerfull . but grab just about any straight wall round and go hunting. :lol: .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

.45colt wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:13 am Well Grizz , it sure makes Me feel safe here in Ohio that a 38-40 or 44-40 are banned as they must be too powerfull . but grab just about any straight wall round and go hunting. :lol: .
That's what i'm thinking. I decided not to hunt in WA because since I've been here two people have been "mistaken for bears" and killed. Can't fix stupid.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Grizz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:03 am this is interesting, but as usual the politicians that limit case length to a particular number on the premise that it controls how far the bullet can travel are STARK RAVING MAD ! ! !

iraqveteran8888 proved that .22LR, with a case length of about 0.793 inches, produces lethal hits out to at least 440 yards, which is a quarter of a mile. Based on careful testing using the pine board method....

someone else made accurate hits at over 700 yards, but I don't know if that was a lethal strike.

someone else made tests on beef roasts with full penetration at 400 yards, couldn't find that video.

point is, the premise that instigated the scramble for a 35 with a short case, is totally insane.

politicians should not be able to make laws that stupid. uh . . . ,

Yep, the 1.800" case length limit the BH is targeting the market for is beyond idiotic. Can't use that 38-55 but go ahead and use the BHA 460 or 500S&W because the case length is compliant with 1.800" case length limit. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Call me a cynic, but... politicians are not known for their logic or critical thinking. What they ARE known for is the single minded pursuit of votes & campaign contributions. Do ya think that maybe, just maybe a hypothetical ammo company & a hypothetical gun manufacturer have shown a politician or 3 a way to do both in one fell swoop?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 pm Call me a cynic, but... politicians are not known for their logic or critical thinking. What they ARE known for is the single minded pursuit of votes & campaign contributions. Do ya think that maybe, just maybe a hypothetical ammo company & a hypothetical gun manufacturer have shown a politician or 3 a way to do both in one fell swoop?
I don't know about ammo and arms manufacturers helping facilitate the push. Lord knows Henry has no trouble selling truck loads of their rifles. This 360BH niche is far from a last gasp effort to keep Henry in business.

I'm going with door #1. We are talking about the same ignorant and power hungry politicians that think a puny little 5.56 makes a 16" exit wound and a 9mm blows your lungs out of your chest. Yes, it's one baby step in the right direction away from shotgun only. But it's pretty clear they really havent the slightest idea of what they are legislating about..shocker right?

Lawmakers, "glittering jewels of colossal ignorance" that they are, created a niche. Manufacturers are attempting to fill it