Folk obsess.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Folk obsess.....

Post by Ray »

.....especially youtubers, about this f.b.i. 12" to 18" bullet penetration parameter protocol thing.....if it falls short by the thickness of a sheet of paper it is "inadequate". If it exhibits greater than convention then it is "irresponsibly overpenetrative" below is a quote from the following video.....

"I have done three Punch ammo reviews and this 124 grain hollow point 9mm ammo is the only one that I would not recommend due to over-penetration and failing to meet FBI Ammunition Test Protocol."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egnXGL3-eTI

At about the 6 minute mark he finds that 4 of the 5 bullets exited the gel block.

Like the prevalent lead contamination panic, this obsessive conformist slickerism rather bothers me. Particularly in someone old enough to have a modicum of walking around sense.

Your thoughts ?
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Folk obsess.....

Post by 2ndovc »

Willing to bet, most, if not all of these guys have never shot a living, breathing thing before.

I remember the day before my first deer hunt, my ex-wife's cousin asking me what I was going to hunt with. When i said I'd be using a 125 gr. Sierra bullet in my .30-06 handload I thought he was gonna bust wide open, "That ain't enough bullet for up here!". Worried about it all night. next morning a little after daybreak, I leveled my '95 on a nice sized buck and sent one of those "little" 125s right through his heart! He stumbled down the hill and was dead where he landed. The bullet was lodged under the skin on the bucks opposite side.
So much for not enough bullet.

My former father in law told me the next day that this particular relative had lost so many deer over the years, he quit counting.

The internet Tactical Ted's mostly Mall Ninja wannabe's. You can always tell the real been there, done that guys. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

yeah, most people on youtube are 'internet' experts, in that they know what the facts are supposed to be and then just parrot them. one guy who i'm not sure has ever actually hunted deer before, was giving his top 5 or 10 deer calibers and eliminated anything that wasn't still a lazer beam at over 500 yards (WTF??!!!). I quit clicking on his videos in a hurry. I'd hazard that less than 1% of deer are shot over 500 yards. at least here in the east. I've never shot a deer over 100 yards away.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No one ever lost a gunfight because their bullet had too much penetration.
More than a few lost a gunfight because their bullet did not have enough penetration.
The entire thing of shooting jello to figure out what is a good load was brought into prominence by people who knew nothing about shooting a living breathing creature. You go and shoot enough of them and you start finding out what works and what doesn't.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Anyone with a bit of common sense looks at the internet experts as a form of comical entertainment. I disagree on some issues even with those experts that are considered reliable on this forum. I base my opinions (that's right I'm not an expert, I'm just an opinionate old guy) on my experience. You can't tell me I'm wrong, regardless of what internet or even real experts say, if I've seen or done it myself. Well you can, but you'd be wrong. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

These guys.....?

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Gel blocks are NOT living tissue, under the best of.circumstances they give you an IDEA of the potential or lack there of. Heck, even the FBI admits that the numbers do not necessarily exclude a particular cartridge
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FLINT wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:34 pm yeah, most people on youtube are 'internet' experts, in that they know what the facts are supposed to be and then just parrot them.
The SAD and SCARY thing is that this happens in the MEDICAL field too ... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:40 pm No one ever lost a gunfight because their bullet had too much penetration.
More than a few lost a gunfight because their bullet did not have enough penetration.
The entire thing of shooting jello to figure out what is a good load was brought into prominence by people who knew nothing about shooting a living breathing creature. You go and shoot enough of them and you start finding out what works and what doesn't.
Exactly right Jim. You never know what people are up to or how they are situated. If you need to shoot through a thick bicep or thigh to get to the good stuff, you want penetration. If you need to shoot through a couch or chair, you are going to want penetration. A big hole in and a big hole out is to be desired.