Christmas Eve 1966

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Christmas Eve 1966

Post by JimT »

Korea was cold. The thermometer was hovering around 10º below zero and a stiff wind was coming across the country from the China Sea. It did not make for the most pleasant conditions. For a kid fresh from the deserts of Arizona it was intimidating. To top it all off, this would be my first Christmas away from home, away from everything that familiar to me. And Korea had been quite a change, believe me! The country was wide-open at that time and the atmosphere reminded me of what I read of old Kansas cow towns in their heyday. If you had the money you could find it ... whatever "it" was. 

Our base was located on Yoido Island across the Han River from Yongdongpo. We were just outside of the capitol, Seoul. Our outfit was the 55th Aviation Co. and our mission was flying support for the 8th US Army Headquarters. The flight missions often involved assuring that the airplane was stocked with plenty of Scotch and/or making room for the hunting dogs when a party flew down to Teague or one of the islands near there to hunt. Ground operations at times involved commandeering a 3/4 ton and making a "moose" run into town, picking up a load of willing girls who wanted to come to base Club and party. This was exciting stuff for a conservative young guy who had never been any place in his life! 

And all of a sudden it was Christmas Eve, coming up on my first Christmas where I would not be around family. I felt a little lost. The base seemed deserted. Quite a few of the guys were down at the Club getting started on a Christmas drunk. Others had headed into town to find whatever amusements they could. Only a few who were not pulling any duty were left. It was almost depressing. Late in the afternoon a couple friends came by and asked me if I was going to go to the Club. I said, "No ... I don't feel like drinking tonight." We discussed what to do since none of us wanted to stay on base. After awhile we decided we would go to the USO Club in Seoul. There was usually something happening there!

We headed out, caught a "kimshi cab" into Seoul and walked into a very empty USO Club. There was only one other person there ... the lady who had duty there that night! No events had been scheduled and nothing was happening. While wandering around the library looking for something to read I noticed man in civilian clothes come in the door. He spoke with the lady at the desk and after a moment she made her way over to us. She said that the gentleman wanted to talk to us and that he had asked her to introduce us. She assured us that she knew him quite well and could vouch for him that he was no weirdo. She said we could trust him and then gave us his business card. His name was John Chovan and he worked for the US Embassy in Seoul.

Wondering what was up we were introduced to Mr. Chovan. He explained that he and his family had a tradition. Every Christmas Eve they would find some soldiers and would invite them to their home for a Christmas celebration. He said his wife had prepared a big meal and that they would love to have us come to their house. A chance to eat a home-cooked meal? You bet! We all said "YES!" at the same time. It turned out to be an evening of "firsts" for us. It was the first time in 6 months that we had ridden in a real American car. It was the first time in about as many months that we had been inside a real American house. It was the first time we had been the recipients of Christmas giving from someone outside of our families.

We rode to the Embassy compound in Mr. Chovan's car. His house was nice ranch-style home that was decorated just like the houses back in the world. Walking in the door we were greeted by his wife and daughters. My memory is a bit hazy after these years but I would guess the oldest girl was probably 7 or 8. There was a REAL Christmas tree in the front room decorated just like home. And the smells! Turkey - Mashed potatoes - hot gravy - Stuffing .... it was overwhelming. The table had been set before we arrived and after introductions we sat around it. After the giving of thanks we began. The three of us ate - and ate some more - and then ate more after that. There were no leftovers that I remember. The turkey was picked to the bare bones. The bowls were emptied. It was wonderful. The Chovan family ate their fill and then watched us. They did not seem surprised at our appetites. I guess they had been through this enough times that they were used to it. After we finished the desserts .. and I mean finished them.... the girls brought out presents for us. The presents contained things every GI used ...toothpaste, razor blades, shaving lotion etc. I cannot describe the feelings of that moment. Here were people who for no reason other than that it was the season to give, who gave. To total strangers.

Later Mr. Chovan opened a bottle of Scotch and we sat around questioning him about his work, sharing about our homes, and drinking some really fine Scotch. If I remember correctly we finished the bottle. Young soldiers never do anything half-way. 

Eventually it came time to leave. Goodbyes were said, The little girls hugged us. Wishes of Merry Christmas and Happy New Year were exchanged. It was wonderful. It was 56 years ago and some of it still stands out in my mind, sharp and clear. I have never forgotten the Chovan family and their gift of a wonderful Christmas to some GI's who were feeling lost and alone. I hope I never do forget them.

Wherever they may be today, I pray God's blessing on them. And to them I say, "Thank you all for a wonderful Christmas memory." It was one of the best Christmas's I ever celebrated.

I originally wrote this 16 years ago. About 10 years after I wrote it and put it on the internet I received an email from a man who said he was John Chovan's neighbor. He had been surfing the internet and run across my story. He knew John's daughters and found they had been doing some online research and read the story and wanted me to call their Dad. He gave me John Chovan's phone number and I called him. We had a great time going over old memories. He said I got most of the story correct. We talked for a half hour or so. My wife and I were getting ready to move to Mozambique but we promised to try and keep in touch.

Some time after were in Africa his daughter emailed me and told me he had passed away. I was really grateful for the opportunity to re-connect with someone who impacted the life of a young soldier. I have never forgotten him or his family.
yongdongpo.jpg
Yongdongpo, South Korea 1966
beechcraft1.jpg
55th Aviation Co. - South Korea - Beechcraft Twin Bonanza - 1966
soldiers.jpg
South Korea - Weapons Qualification - 1966
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Christmas Eve 1966

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

What a wonderful Christmas story. Thanks Jim.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Christmas 1965, about 12 miles south of Danang air base. Early morning. Cold rain. Soaked to the skin, water leaked into my boots. So dark I could not see my hand in front of my face, so quiet I heard my own heartbeat, M-14 and cartridge belt weighed me down into the water and mud. Heard something from behind, leaned against the bunker, raised rifle, drew a bead, made a challenge. Response was “Newman, that you?” Replied “yes SSgt Taylor.” Wondered what the devil is he doing out here at this time of the morning in this weather. He walked up with his .45, two canteen cups, a canteen, made a pour into each cup, gave one to me, clicked his cup to mine, and said “Merry Christmas.” After that drink, I felt a bit warmer and dryer, rifle and cartridge belt lighter. That was and still is the best shot of whiskey I ever drank. He found every Marine in his Fire Direction Control section and gave them a drink on Christmas Eve. His simple act of kindness and caring stayed with me and is remembered every Christmas.

When he left Echo battery, 12th Marines in early 1966 on emergency leave, SSgt Taylor was on the Promoted to Gunnery Sgt. List. Later I was told that he received a Limited Duty Officer commission and commanded one the firing batteries in the 10th Marines before retiring. Probably the best Staff NCO I served with. I hope life has been good to him.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd forgotten this story, Jim. Brought a tear, I have to confess.
I like yours, too, Ray.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you Ray! I appreciate you sharing it and hope SSgt. Taylor has done well.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

JIm: enjoyed reading your experience on Christmas Eve as it brought back a few memories. After reading it, I thought this country really needs more people like John Chovan. Sad to say, but such people are very few and very far between these days.

Wishing you and the board members the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of New Years....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They are out there Ray. They are not as vocal or noisy as the perverts, weirdos and freaks that have the media's attention. But they keep on doing what's right regardless whether it is "correct" or not.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Great experience. Thanks for sharing it. I had a similar situation being stranded at the now defunct roosevelt roads naval station on puerto rica at Thanksgiving. They were serving traditional holiday chow all day at the base galley but I did not have orders/papers so I could not dine there. I wasn't u.a./a.w.o.l. or anything. I just wasn't expected to be there and had nothing official save for my green i.d.

So I went to the enlisted mens club/bowling alley to listen to the jukebox and the roar and rumble of the balls/pins and ordered a chilidog and onion rings and a cold, frothy beverage. Hadn't been there an hour when an old grey haired gentleman (turns out he was only 38) approached and invited me and a few others to his home for the holiday. He was a missionary originally from Pennsylvania. His wife was German and they had met when he was in the army. They had two teenaged daughters, the younger was/is deaf. We had a good feed/fellowship then they loaded up the van and we all went.....b o w l i n g of all things !

Sundays and holidays can be sad/lonely for a servicemember. I have heard/read that Kristofferson had this in mind when he wrote this.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xd5jG3JTA
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Really great Christmas and Thanksgiving stories guys, thanks for posting ..... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thank for the stories Gentleman.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I mighta been the luckiest guy ever in the service. I served from 1970 to 1974 and spent every Christmas at home.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I got back from Thailand in May and married in June. Our first apartment was a small one bedroom. There was a fellow serving with me whose wife was in another country awaiting medical clearance to come to the US. We sort of adopted him. Having him over for dinner etc. Before long we would have as many as 5 or 6 single guys over for dinner every other Sunday. I owrked 24 on 24 off so I was always of every other Sunday. There was always plenty of food to be cooked supplied by the single guys. One Thanksgiving there were about 15 G I's in that little place.

When I was transfered to Europe my wife and I continued to treat the guys to home cooked meals regularly. Unless one has been a single GI young and far from home it's pretty dificult to understand what a sense of family feels like.

I'm happy to say I have kept in touch with quite a few from that time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

Jim, thank you for that. Wonderful story, and you have a gift for telling them.
For the past twenty years I have read your story "Christmas Eve 1896" to my family on the night before Christmas It has become a happy and anticipated tradition. I will do so again this Saturday night (I keep two copies with the Christmas stuff).
Might you be able to post it here for those who have not yet had the pleasure?
God bless you.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

arclight wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:07 am Jim, thank you for that. Wonderful story, and you have a gift for telling them.
For the past twenty years I have read your story "Christmas Eve 1896" to my family on the night before Christmas It has become a happy and anticipated tradition. I will do so again this Saturday night (I keep two copies with the Christmas stuff).
Might you be able to post it here for those who have not yet had the pleasure?
God bless you.
Thank you. I will do that either this evening or tomorrow.
Blessings and Merry Christmas.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thank you all for the stories and thank you very much for your service....