The extraordinary 410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The extraordinary 410

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I recently looked at a Henry .410 lever action. Looked nice, worked nice (just like any decent lever action!), but had the ergonomics of a steel fence post. Guess I'll stick to my Win 37, Savage 220, Wingmaster, and T-C G2 .410s. (At least the T-C has an "underlever"....).
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

There is something about a 410!
I first scratched that itch with a Stoeger sxs, That was soon followed by a Winchester Model 42 pump. Both of them come up to my should like the Model 12s do.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yesterday Claro flushed a bird a bit far, about 45 yards. Since I was the closest to the flush the CZ came up to my cheek and I put the muzzle about 3 feet in front of the bird and broke the trigger- HIT! Then the back trigger and HIT again. The second shot was about 60 yards, putting the bird down. It ran maybe 5 yards and died. Not bad for 11/16 oz of 7 narfs from i/c & mod chokes.
I've said it before, there is nothing you can't do with the small bores.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey 6point , I finally got around to trying chalk in the shot bottle, mixed results. This old shot does flow better but it still chokes on the mixed stuff. I think ill polish the inside of the tube and maybe try talc or graphite.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

This one (leveraction .410) almost looks normal.....

https://www.classicfirearms.com/rock-is ... nt=Primary
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree. It doesn't look too bad. The price is close to reasonable. I wonder if it works as well as RIA's other guns?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So today is the end of our bird season. November- March every year.
When the season started I did my best to keep track of the birds I shot, I missed a few entries but what I have record of is 66 birds. I did track Claro or Parker(Saturday Claro and Sunday Parker)I did not keep track of which gun I used.
The club buys 450 birds per year, this year was 263/ 450, the club averages about 50%±/‐ per year.
You would think all those pheasants missed we would naturally have 'wild ' birds but the raptor population is very high here and those pen raised chickens don't make it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Gunny if you have a few hens and just the odd cockbird around but very little ground cover try putting down some conifer branches on the ground that the hens can nest under but without constant Predator control breeding results will be poor to non existent.

Always good to hear great reports on .410 performance, I sure miss a few that would be easy with my 12 gauge but the kills with a .410 or 28 gauge are more memorable.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:46 pm So today is the end of our bird season. November- March every year.
When the season started I did my best to keep track of the birds I shot, I missed a few entries but what I have record of is 66 birds. I did track Claro or Parker(Saturday Claro and Sunday Parker)I did not keep track of which gun I used.
The club buys 450 birds per year, this year was 263/ 450, the club averages about 50%±/‐ per year.
You would think all those pheasants missed we would naturally have 'wild ' birds but the raptor population is very high here and those pen raised chickens don't make it.
Whenever I do a tower shoot I keep score at each peg and by score I mean number of shots vs number of hits . I wish when I started doing tower shoots I’d kept a ledger like I do for deer , but I didn’t . I kinda like looking back and seeing gun and or load used . Anyway so for this past season I have a small stack of cards with counts for each peg etc . Someone on the Parker forum back in January asked me how many shells I’d expelled at feathered targets so far and if memory serves I was close to 400 which includes a quail boxbird shoot and a Preserve quail hunt .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can say that I shot 2 birds with a 20 this season, I forgot my gun one morning! I know HOW could I do that!? Otherwise all those I shot were with a 28 or 410.
As I see it, on our property, pen raised birds , good hound work a big bore just isn't needed. Most everyone shoots a 20, a few 28 but I'm the only one to take the beastly 410. :lol:
I have to do some patterning with AA 8s, 2.5" , on chukar that load seems like a real spotty pattern, most times I needed the left barrel with 3" reloads.
I also need to work on the BP Thug slug and light game slug. And my 28 ga buckshot loads.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

G-M only people that use a 410 are the ones that know what they are doing..! A day with dogs snd being outside sounds really guud right now.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 am G-M only people that use a 410 are the ones that know what they are doing..! A day with dogs snd being outside sounds really guud right now.
On occasion I've been accused of that ! :lol:
The 410 has benefited of late by these new TSS turkey loads, makers are producing more guns too. I'd like to get a Henry ( or Marln) 410 for a house / vermin gun. 3 pellets of 00 buck is potent !
My Hi Standard Flight King skeet gun throws slugs very well, made a great feral cat gun!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!