Primers stuck to decapping pin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Primers stuck to decapping pin

Post by Walt »

While loading cartridges with small primers on a Dillon 550, it was not uncommon for an expended primer to become lodged on the end of the decapping pin. This resulted in the old primer being pressed back into the cartridge being loaded and I would end up with an extra new primer after loading a box of ammo. Upon inspection while putting the loaded rounds into an ammo box, I would find that one or more of the rounds had an expended primer in it, requiring pulling the bullet, dumping out the powder and inserting a new primer.
I found that the rounded end of the decapping pin was becoming wedged in the anvil of the old primer.
I squared off the end of the decapping pin and have had no more issues.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Primers stuck to decapping pin

Post by 1894cfan »

I run into that often enough to be annoying! Just double stroke the handle of my single stage press to kick them off. :roll:
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think I've only ever had this happen one "time" (one caliber/set of dies), RCBS .32H&R dies on my 550. But when it started, it did it 100% of the time, no matter how many times I worked the handle. Quite puzzling at first, I assumed the decap pin had broken off or fallen out. Then when I saw it still in place I was really confused. Must have been something about that batch of primers. Crazy because you wouldn't think it could possibly have enough "stick" to stay on and and fully re-seat, let alone multiple times.

After that it would do it occasionally, but still way too often. I think I got fed up and put it to the bench grinder, but I don't remember if I sharpened it or made it more flat.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

After that it would do it occasionally, but still way too often. I think I got fed up and put it to the bench grinder, but I don't remember if I sharpened it or made it more flat.
This. Had trouble with a Lee Universal decapper. I very slowly took off an iota at time, flattening it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV