Call me Bubba

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Call me Bubba

Post by earlmck »

In the process of getting a gun and a load to shoot our "Little Q" match wherein we try to hit targets out to 600 yards with a pistol-cartridge levergun, I have come to appreciate the challenge. So far I have exactly one (1) gun and load that has a prayer of getting hits on the 600 yard buffalo (38/40 with 200 grain Accurate bullet, compressed load of RL7) Thought it'd be fun to take this seldom-used Rossi in 454/45 Colt and see what it can do. I have already given up hope of accuracy beyond 200 yards with the very nice 300 grain bullet I use for close-range thumping (Stooopid 30" twist they put in these things).

Casting session produced a bunch of 230 grain punkin' balls for the 45 Auto cast out of my "range lead" which runs a hardness of about Brinell 8. Ran these through the lube-sizer, .453 and LBT Blue lube. While I had the 6-cavity going I switched pots to my harder alloy which is wheelweights + 2 1/2% tin, which I decided to powder coat for this trial.
453230.jpg
It's going to take a pretty good sight to get out to 600 yards with a low-velocity load. I recently acquired a rear sight off a 1903 Springfield (ladder sight with a couple inches of elevation, windage adjustable, choice of peep or open), which I am planning on putting on a Marlin 38/55 eventually. But old Bubba here is thinking it'd be nice to have this sight on the Rossi for playing with the 45 Colt loading, so going to one of Bubba's favorite attachment strategies (duct tape and bailing wire were also considered) I JB welded it lightly to the rear-sight filler blank. I think it'll hang on there OK if I'm careful and I can pop it off when I am done playing with 45 Colt and ready for a more permanent home on the Marlin.
JBsightonRossi.jpg
JBRearFrontAttach.jpg
Oh yeah, if you are wondering if it won't take a taller front sight to be able to hit something closer than 600 yards, yes you are correct. I'll be putting a tall Lyman 17A front sight on there before heading out to the buffalo range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Call me Bubba

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, this sounds like a grand and important experiment for the sake of humanity. 8)
Hope it really shines for you on that lovely COSSA range.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

This will be interesting, looking forward to the results. I tried lobbing some .45's at a 600 yd target once but my sights (and my spotter) weren't up to the task.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Earl the world would still be in the stone age if it wouldnt be for new ideas
let us know how it works

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One word:
Pipe Cleaner.
For finding the height easy.🤠
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds cool actually...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "