350 legend...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

350 legend...

Post by GunnyMack »

In a S&W X frame wheel gun. I haven't read the article yet but this round just doesn't float my boat. Sure 2.5- 4" groups are minute of Bambi but not one thing I've seen says it'll shoot 1 hole groups, at any distance.
The accuracy table in the article had about the same accuracy, 2-3.5 at 50yds...
Anyone have one? How's it shoot?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: 350 legend...

Post by 4t5 »

I don't see how a brand new cartridge can be called "legend". I do believe it is an answer in search of a problem.
If you want a straight walled legend, look no further than the 45-70.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

4t5 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:09 pm I don't see how a brand new cartridge can be called "legend". I do believe it is an answer in search of a problem.
If you want a straight walled legend, look no further than the 45-70.
Well said 👍🏻
oldAG
Levergunner

Post by oldAG »

Not really a "brand new" cartridge at all.
Was introduced by Winchester at the 2019 Shot Show to address a perceived problem of straight-wall-cartridge-compliant deer-hunting states requirements.
Yes, a 45-70 would fit the bill but why knock yourself around when something with the ballistic performance of a 30-30 will do the job?
Winchester information here https://winchester.com/350-Legend
And more general information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.350_Legend
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Since the 350 was brought out in '19 it has failed to impress me. I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with it.
Apparently not...
If I lived in a straight wall state I'd use my 450 Bushmaster, every bullet/ powder combo I've tried has been very accurate and more than enough thump. If not that then my Ruger 44 carbine or my 41 mag Henry. I believe the reinvention of the wheel has happened again.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My Neighbor has one. He doesn't seem too impressed with it. I think He took five Deer last year , one with the "legend". the stores around here have been flooded with the ammo for quite a while. wait awhile and they will invent something else that is new and Fantastic. maybe the .277 Wizbang......... :?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:49 am Since the 350 was brought out in '19 it has failed to impress me. I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with it.
Apparently not...
If I lived in a straight wall state I'd use my 450 Bushmaster, every bullet/ powder combo I've tried has been very accurate and more than enough thump. If not that then my Ruger 44 carbine or my 41 mag Henry. I believe the reinvention of the wheel has happened again.
Exactly, and what really irritates me is the ammunition companies are concentrating efforts to fill orders for the .350 and it's components while ignoring cartridges like the .35 Remington, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts etc. that really work. I'm in a state that allows straight wall cartridges and have several that would work just fine, but the .450 Bushmaster caught my attention. Like you, I haven't had any combo I've tried not be exceptionally accurate. Still looking at bolt actions to play around with it a little more. Really like the Savage Scout and it may well be next up on the list of "gotta haves".

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is almost impossible to define a 'need' that one of the hundreds of existing cartridges won't fill.

375 Win, 357 Maximum, 35 Remington, and several others are about the same performance, and would fit the same actions by and large.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

There just has to be dogs in heaven!

So so sorry, my heart is a little heavier at this news.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think the main attribute this cartridge has over other straight walls is that it will run in a AR-15 possibly in standard 5.56 mags and with the same capacity

I'm not really an AR guy but it seem low recoiling 35s might be better in a HD carbine than fast 22s. For sure it would be more appropriate for deer, pigs and bears. In a bolt gun it might be appropriate for those restricted to such cartridges or for someone like a child for instance that needs something that will launch a fairly big bullet but with low recoil.

Of course there are many cartridges for levers on both sides of this round that work but the AR is extremely popular now. The 350 seems a sensible choice for it.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

oldAG wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 pm Not really a "brand new" cartridge at all.
Was introduced by Winchester at the 2019 Shot Show to address a perceived problem of straight-wall-cartridge-compliant deer-hunting states requirements.
Yes, a 45-70 would fit the bill but why knock yourself around when something with the ballistic performance of a 30-30 will do the job?
Winchester information here https://winchester.com/350-Legend
And more general information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.350_Legend
I'd say a 38-55 would fit the bill of being more than adequate for the job while being easier on the shooter than 45-70. I'm all for the industry moving and shaking. But I think that there are many many straight wall cartridges already established before the 350L came out. You can get a brand new Winchester 94, and a couple different Henry's in 38-55. Not to mention the Italian clones. But maybe some folks don't like lever rifles?? I can't fathom that! 😳

350L still seems to me a solution in search of a problem. IDK, different strokes I guess
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 pm .
It is almost impossible to define a 'need' that one of the hundreds of existing cartridges won't fill.

375 Win, 357 Maximum, 35 Remington, and several others are about the same performance, and would fit the same actions by and large.
Yep, 375 Win, 38-55, 45-70....and all the oodles of lever rifles from several manufacturers offered in magnum pistol chamberings and 45 Colt.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't own a .350, but one of the biggest reasons for it was that it fits in an AR15. While there are other alternatives that fit in it, they are more costly to shoot, and most have more recoil. Many young shooters and hunters are using ARs now.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not defending or promoting it, I just didn't see where anyone mentioned it fitting in the AR.

Personally, I think this "cartridge of the week" BS that's gone on for the last 10-15 years is a lot of our problem today. There is no way these ammo companies can dedicate lines to all these cartridges. You can tell the ones they can......9mm and 5.56.
The rest they are continually having to switch. This affects supply and cost.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

44shooter wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 pm I think the main attribute this cartridge has over other straight walls is that it will run in a AR-15 possibly in standard 5.56 mags and with the same capacity.
See above. Nothing comparable will fit in an AR-15. A few larger cartridges will with special single stack mags. The AR is the most popular rifle in the U.S. now. It makes sense to straighten a 223 to 35 to me although I don’t have one or particularly want one. I could see how it would work for both defense and hunting in a carbine fairly well
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

The point about it working in the AR platform is valid. But even before ARs became Satan's rifle here where I live, I can remember exactly one time I've ever encountered another hunter using one afield deer hunting. That's just my limited experience and by no means does it constitute a statistical study. Maybe they are more popular for hunting in other areas. I know people love dusting hogs in the southern states with them 😂
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Yeah I have never seen anyone hunt with one. I've seen plenty of Remington and Browning autoloaders though. I know lots of people who own them though. I could see it as a game capable HD gun and an option for people who must hunt with these cartridges. I just as soon hunt with a Marlin 44 myself
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have one in a Ruger American. Loading the 165 FTX to 2100fps. Groups under 1"@100yds. Haven't bloodied it yet, but hope to do that within about 3 weeks if an unlucky whitetail walks by and the weather cooperates.