What a Great Pyrenees is capable of

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

What a Great Pyrenees is capable of

Post by jdad »

We have a female GP in the 115-120 pound range. We see coyotes often, but only had a close encounter once.

5:30am on walk one day she sensed them and a minute or so later two came out of the green belt. It was scary how fast she switched on and went CUJO. :D Luckily the yotes decided they wanted to live and took off. I was being dragged toward them and no, I wasn't going to shoot in a semi-residential neighborhood. I had a knife and bear spray as primary.

I saw first hand what software comes pre-loaded in these dogs. :D

This one is smaller than mine, but killed 8.

https://www.11alive.com/article/life/an ... cbe34e43d5

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What a Great Pyrenees is capable of

Post by ollogger »

Awesome story, that dog had the odds stacked againt it, I have waged war on coyotes around my place latley
called in a big dog coyote thursday & the 99 Savage in 243 does a fine job, i quit using the 223 as many of
the shots are long range and for me 3 - 4 hundred yards on coyotes is way to far for the 223, good on prairie dogs
but thats it

ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great Pyrennes seem to have a thing for coyotes. I've known a few people with GP's and all were very aggressive when they saw or scented coyotes. Yet none of them were aggressive towards other dogs. We have a neighbor with one and her dog loves our little 10 lb. Japanese Chin.
Wind had several Great Pyrenees over the years, and his dog Cleat would be sleeping in his house, and suddenly pop up with no warning, and run to the door. There was always a coyote out in the sagebrush at the U-Pick when Cleat reacted.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Awesome dogs for sure. There's a family that has a cabin not too far from ours that had a pair of them. We had been having a problem op there for years with coyotes and wild dogs. The GPs, I was told knocked off a few of them.

My Great Dane was always on alert up there, chased off a couple coyotes and more than a few black bear. The one time she went into complete protection mode was here in town. Bubbles and I were out walking Lucy and our Jack Russell. Out of nowhere, a Doberman charged at us and was heading right for the JR. Lucy just about yanked me off my feet and landed square in front of the Doberman about two seconds away from ripping it's head off. The bimbo that owned the dog starts yelling at us to leaver her dog alone, I told her she had about 20 seconds to get her dog before I put it down. Turns out that I know the people that own the rental property she was living in and let them know that they had a serious liability on their hands. Bimbo and dog were gone a week later.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

We have a neighbor with a Great Pyrenees.

He's an absolute marshmallow - loves everybody.

Doesn't even get upset when one of the other neighbor's
German Shepherd attacks him. He knows the shepherd is just posturing.

-Stretch
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it. Here's my specimen. 15 month old girl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's another great story about the Great Pyrenees and coyotes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8wGMDt ... el=11Alive
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/