Is it just me.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Is it just me.....

Post by Ray »

or are there anybody else having trouble finding percussion caps ?

Found these but can't use them as they are too small for my guns.....

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-10-percus ... 0ct-cc0309

Contacted remington and this is what I got.....

Thank you for contacting Remington Ammunition.

We are not currently set up to ship percussion caps direct to consumer as they require additional certification and shipping fees as a hazardous material. We are always looking for ways to enhance our website offering and will advise if and when this changes.

The #10 and #11 caps are an active sku that we are shipping to dealers.

Percussion caps are only available through a dealer.
You are able to see what dealers are in your area: https://www.remington.com/where-to-buy.html
We don't have access to what dealer's inventory is. Inventory at any store is constantly changing.

Thank you,

eCommerce – Customer Service Representative
Email: customer.service@remington.com
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is it just me.....

Post by Grizz »

is it time to upgrade to flintlock? or matchlock perhaps? :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Last summer (2022) I checked all along our route as we traveled the western states and found zilch, nada, zero - except for one place that had a few magnum caps (No 11's, IIRC) at $15/100. Wasn't hungry enough for them to bite, but that was all I saw at the time. Made me wish I'd picked up a few more tins the summer before at... whatever it was I paid in a well stocked hardware store in SW MO. They were $6 or 8, I honestly don't recall. I get the impression that there was a boom in the number of cap and ball shooters over the past couple of years. Components and launching platforms have been in short supply, especially the former.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A few months ago I found 12 packages of Remington #10s at the Bass Pro across the lake from me... No, I wasn't stingy, only bought 10, I have a standing order for 1,000 from my local dealer when she can find a distributor with stock. I haven't been shooting my percussion pistols at matches due to the shortage. I had checked on-line the night before and they didn't list any in stock, I thought about trying the 2 Cabela's in the DFW area, but didn't want to drive that far... knowing how opposed I am to driving, you'd understand!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Haven't seen them in forever and a day. :(
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hmmm. I'll be keeping an eye out for Remington No. 10s at the Abilene gun show this morning, as I have a set of Slixshot nipples coming for the Navy ...
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:46 am Hmmm. I'll be keeping an eye out for Remington No. 10s at the Abilene gun show this morning, as I have a set of Slixshot nipples coming for the Navy ...
Order the above linked cci 10s whilst they're available and do like rev. T suggested over on the sixshooter board. Turn the original cones down until the too small caps fit. cci 10s have to be pushed firmly even on original colt #9 nipples.

Please elaborate on your navy revolver.....
IMG_20221111_201941760~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, it's a plain-vanilla Pietta and it is on the way from Midway. I bought a tin of CCI No. 10s yesterday and should have bought the 11s, dang it.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:28 am Ray, it's a plain-vanilla Pietta and it is on the way from Midway. I bought a tin of CCI No. 10s yesterday and should have bought the 11s, dang it.
They usually go bang the second revolution around, the full fall of the hammer seating them thoroughly. That first snap and no bang is a good exercise in flinch control & follow through then the odd chamber that does bang unexpectedly is graduate school. Or otherwise renders you a bundle of nerves.

Assuming its a .36, folk obsess when .375s prove just a tabby fur follicle too undersized. Just place one at a time on the anvil of your bench vise and smack em with a hammer and you'll get a proper shear ring ! Same with .451s when you need .454s and so on.....
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wouldn't dream of buying one of the "fantasy .44s" built on Navy frames, any more than I would buy a cheap-jack China-made dragon-ninja samurai sword for $29 at a bad gun show ...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A bunch of other cowboy action shooters tell me that Piettas like .375 balls and that Ubertis take .380s. IME, of which I only have experience with The Colt 2nd Gen 1851s & a couple of spare Uberti cylinders, (which drop in BTW), .375s work just fine,without the hammer trick. They don't cut much of a ring, but enough.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!