Original Trapdoor hunting in Hungary.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Original Trapdoor hunting in Hungary.

Post by Nath »

I know many here have a soft spot for Springfield trapdoors only a YouTube channel I follow just posted this....
Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/vsW0niA9REU
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Original Trapdoor hunting in Hungary.

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Nath I watched that earlier today, excellent video, did you see the black powder partridge hunt as well with the Westley Richards muzzleloader?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:08 pm Hey Nath I watched that earlier today, excellent video, did you see the black powder partridge hunt as well with the Westley Richards muzzleloader?
Not seen that one yet John. It on my list 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That Springfield video reminded me of a few years back a guy at the range offered me a couple of shots with an original trapdoor, it was accurate too.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've shot one at long range, not sure what they do at 100 yards, probably like my 71/84 Mauser and shoot really high at that point. The Mauser doesn't even shoot to point of aim until 200 yards with a smokeless load that duplicates original ballistics. Very nice video. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have followed his channel for years. Even have his paper cartridge kit. Great stuff!!!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 pm I've shot one at long range, not sure what they do at 100 yards, probably like my 71/84 Mauser and shoot really high at that point. The Mauser doesn't even shoot to point of aim until 200 yards with a smokeless load that duplicates original ballistics. -Tutt
Yes, my trapdoor is still a little high at 200 yards in the bottom setting of the "upright" position of that Buffington sight. In the down, or "battle sight" position like he was using it must not be on until out there at 400 yards or so. Aim at the balls to get him in the head. And it would be even higher yet with that lighter bullet he is loading. But obviously the fellow had his sights figured out!

Though I'd like to see him bell that case a little better before stuffing in that old soft bullet, as a critique of his reloading technique. He's gotta' be shaving some lead on a regular basis.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

One of my favourite channels. That thick english reminds me of the story that is told of the death of bela lugosi.

It is said that as peter lorre and vincent price, in the viewing line, neared the open casket of lugosi, lorre was heard to whisper to price, "do you think we should drive a stake through his heart just to be sure ?"
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nemeth's enthusiasm is infectious. Love his work.
And his accent is delicious. Reminds me of the Romanian writer and professor Andrei Codrescu, who had a commentary on NPR for years.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Back-In-The-Last-Century, I often watched a fellow Black Powder shooter with his Trapdoor infantry rifle, carbine, and cadet rifle shoot at 100 and 200 yards. If memory serves me, he said shooting the Buffington at those distances was not that difficult. Just h remove the arsenal front sight blade and install a higher front sight blade and file it down to obtain a 100 or 200 yard zero.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:47 pm I know many here have a soft spot for Springfield trapdoors only a YouTube channel I follow just posted this....
I also enjoyed that -- thanks Nath!

Ray Newman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm ...he said shooting the Buffington at those distances was not that difficult.
Did you ever notice how those sights slant to the left when you elevate the leaf and extend the slide all the way up? That's to counter the twist of the rifling's effect on the bullets and the Coriolis effect (spinning of the earth) while the bullet is in flight at extreme long range. I recall reading that -- just like on the Billy Dixon long range shot -- when fired at over 1,000 yards on the beaches in NJ (if I recall the location correctly) the heavy bullets were hitting the large targets they used with a 45-degree entry angle.

Wish I'd never sold off my H&R Officers Model, but oh well...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Earl, Ray and Old #7, thanks for the insightful replies gentleman. I'm always impressed with the knowledge of my friends here. Wow, interesting stuff.

I agree that you can replace the front sight of the 71/84 Mauser or Trap Door Springfield with something of a different height for short range (lets call that within 200 yards) and it will work fine and you can make it shoot to point of aim (seems like a bit of a waste to me though!)

Now it is not commonly known I think, but with the 71/84 Mauser, after all the development work that was done on what was going to be the first and only black powder repeating rifle with a tubular magazine, that the singular locking lug on the right side of the bolt action receiver caused the bullets to shoot right. Once the Germans figured this out, they drifted the front sight to the left, and peened the sight and mount so it could be removed and remounted to the same spot for accuracy later on (my original 1888 with matching #'s is as such).

I had not heard that the Springfield also had some adjustment to the left for the various affects mentioned. Could very well be, I do not know. The action itself is symmetrical though in the locking of the "trap door" and I don't see that pushing the bullet one way or the other.

Cool thoughts guys, thanks for the thoughtful replies as always.

This is such a great place to be.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Ol’ No. 7: yup, the H&R Officers Trapdoor is a good little carbine. I have “waiting in the wings” buyers for mine.

As for adjusting the the Buffington sight leaf, I first shot the ol’ infantry rifle at 100 yds, utilizing two targets. One was about 18+” above the other and aimed for the lower target and hit on the top target. Did that for quite a while, then I discovered Pat & Spence Wolfe’s book “Loading Cartridges for the Original 45-70 Springfield Rifle & Carbine” 3rd edition. It cleared up a number of misconceptions, range myths, etc., about handling, shooting, and loading for the M1873. For less than US $25.00, you can’t go wrong including this 169 page book in your firearms library.

Available at: https://www.buffaloarms.com/loading-car ... oklco.html

Or a digital copy from the author at: https://the4570book.com/shop/ols/produc ... le-carbine

There also is a PDF file excerpt on using and adjusting the sights chapter:
https://the4570book.com/shop/ols/produc ... m-the-book
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.