CASTING

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

CASTING

Post by JimT »

Been doing a little casting with pure lead for the 480 Achilles. The 290 gr. Huffaker heel bullet .. hollow base.
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG
I took some of the more imperfect ones and sized them to .457" ... gonna try them in the Dragoon!
IMG_4273.JPG
LEFT=480 Achilles RIGHT=sized .457"

I sized some to .454" and am gonna try these in the .45 Colt.
IMG_4308.JPG
LEFT=480 Achilles CENTER=.457" RIGHT=sized .454"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CASTING

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a few hollow base bullet molds and really like them. They bump up well, and the hollow bases keep the weight forward for a more stable bullet.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's amazing Jim. never done it. yet. it's simple schematically, but the process is what you've perfected.
i am tempted to cast some #1 buck and .69 round balls, but it would take me all day just to set up a setup that works. but it's raining outside and the truck is calling me and the rats need more anti-rat . .. .

er, i'll get to it.
later
:lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oh boy! Jim will be posting fresh range sessions before long!
Cold, wet and gloomy here in the Big Country this morning, Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:09 pm Cold, wet and gloomy here in the Big Country this morning, Jim.
Same here Bill. Been like that mostly for the last week or so. May not get any better soon. I have become a fair weather shooter in my old age but I will get the projects ready. Days like this are good for casting .. sizing ... lubing etc.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

To me, it’s a great form of relaxation to cast, powder coat, size and load. Perfect therapy and you end up with a great usable product.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bearskinner wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 pm To me, it’s a great form of relaxation to cast, powder coat, size and load. Perfect therapy and you end up with a great usable product.
I have never tried powder coating and am not interested in doing it myself. But a friend here does it and we end up swapping stuff. The other day I traded him a tin of new #11 percussion caps for his black powder pistol .. in return he is powder coating a bunch of bullets for me.

I prefer the old school method of sizing and lubing but don't mind using other things at times.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:23 pm
Bearskinner wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 pm To me, it’s a great form of relaxation to cast, powder coat, size and load. Perfect therapy and you end up with a great usable product.
I have never tried powder coating and am not interested in doing it myself. But a friend here does it and we end up swapping stuff. The other day I traded him a tin of new #11 percussion caps for his black powder pistol .. in return he is powder coating a bunch of bullets for me.

I prefer the old school method of sizing and lubing but don't mind using other things at times.
That made me curious as to what kind of black powder pistol would be worth a tin of #11 caps... then realized he wanted them for his pistol and you're getting powder coated bullets in exchange. :lol: That turkey seems to have slowed the ol' brain cells down a bit.

Looking forward to your experience in shooting those hollow based bullets in the dragoon. I'd have been tempted to lube them while sizing. The best conical I ever used was the Lee for the Ruger Old Army. Maybe someday I'll get another such mold, it worked well even with "unauthorized" loads.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:24 am I have a few hollow base bullet molds and really like them. They bump up well, and the hollow bases keep the weight forward for a more stable bullet.
I would agree with that in many cases. Your "shuttlecock" bullet from badminton!

Jim, that is a very sophisticated bullet design at its full size. Heeled, hollow base, hollow point, lots of elements to the design. I'm impressed, I think that would shoot and also perform well. Got any ballistic gelatin around??? :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is so very cool! 8)

I've been looking for a hollow-based mold for .357/.38 caliber bullets to use in a conversion cylinder for my .36-caliber (.375") cap & ball revolvers.

Anyone have a favorite they'd recommend?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:16 pm That is so very cool! 8)

I've been looking for a hollow-based mold for .357/.38 caliber bullets to use in a conversion cylinder for my .36-caliber (.375") cap & ball revolvers.

Anyone have a favorite they'd recommend?
148 gr. HBWC
Precision Delta
precision delta.JPG
Hornady
Hornady.JPG
Federal
federal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have an old hollow base wadcutter mold that's an Ideal. Tough to find these days, but extremely accurate bullets. I used bullets cast from these in my S&W 52 semiauto chambered in .38 wadcutter back when I shot bullseye matches.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've shot the Hornady ones, and they work perfectly for this application. Just want to be able to cast my own, as availability of these from any manufacturer is iffy, and a lot of times the sellers are awfully proud of them! :shock: