Strange day at the range with the Python.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Strange day at the range with the Python.

Post by 2ndovc »

Had the new Python out this morning.

Took along two boxes of .357 handloads and some factory .38 Specials.

Didn't start out the best, forgot my targets and only tape I had was some heavy black duct tape. Worked, just annoyed.
Ignore the load data on the paper, wrote on the wrong target.
This was factory Remington 125 gr JHPs at 20 yds and the best target of the morning.

The 158 / IMR-4227 load was about an inch wider and the 180 gr. XTPs /13 gr. of H110 were all over the place.

If anyone has a favorite .357 Magnum load they want to share, please do. I've never had a lot of luck with it.

Two minor complaints about the Python. The single action needs work, the trigger has to be over 5 pounds. I also had to black out the front sight. Those orange inserts just disappear on me.

Anyway, not the range trip I was expecting, but I'll get it worked out. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange day at the range with the Python.

Post by Nath »

Does the barrel need shooting in maybe?
5lb trigger isn't going to help!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ya gotta start somewhere, and if it needs improving, knowing sooner rather than later is better.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I agree with all the above.

I'd also be checking throat diameter versus the diameter of each chamber.

If if comes down to it -- shoot some 5-shot groups "from each chamber", to see if you can isolate an issue. That's what led me to tune-up the cyliner throats of an old GP100 that I had years ago. That step, plus reaming the forcing cone and tuning up the trigger pull -- all on a "new gun", by the way -- did wonders for my groups.

The barrel is still new too -- shoot the heck out of it for fun; then get serious about target work.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks guys! That all makes pretty good sense. It's been a long time since I bought a brand new handgun. Most of the guns I buy are used, vintage stuff that have already been "broken in" for lack of a better description.

I'll find something that shoots a little tighter and run the snot out of it. May end up sending it to my dad's guy in FL. He did a little work on dad's Python and it one of his favorites.

jb

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The throats are worth checking, though I seem to recall that the new Pythons have been pretty squared away for the most part other than the rear sight.

Theres a gunsmith from Iowa thats worked on them quite a bit, basic action slicking up etc, I think he said hes done several hundred of them. You can read through his blog site, he talks about the new Python off and on over time. I dont recall if he discussed loads, but it may be on general interest in any event. He mentioned them being far tougher than the old model, having shot some fairly large number of magnum rounds (70K maybe?) with zero timing issues and few to none being reported from customers shooting large amounts of magnum loads

https://www.heffronprecision.com/blog

The rear sight has been a bit of an annoyance to many, they can wander a bit and require a tiny allen wrench to lock or unlock the windage I believe. Theres a couple outfits making sights, Wilson Combat being one, and the company that makes the Eliason Colt sights currently (Kensight?) is hopefully going to be making a drop in rear of the old style that will fit the 2020 Python. The older Python sights dont drop in, but the guns can be machined to accept them. Its not cheap but may in the long run be a good investment. Heffron can do the machine work I believe.

The new Pythons are doing well once the initial glitches were ironed out, other than the sights. Id be strongly interested if they offered a blued version. Not sure thats going to happen. I just really dont care for stainless. Some guys have had theirs high polished to look like nickel, which is something I could probably like.

Edit: Heres 101 pages of discussion about them, a bit of experience with shooting them as it wears on. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... the-Python
Last edited by Malamute on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Still a better day than not getting out at all!

What was the temperature like up there? It was COLD down here in SC - at least by our standards! :shock:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Colt.

I like 14.0gr. of 2400 pushing a 158gr. JHP.
OAL is 1.580 or 1.575, depending on how they crimp.
WSP Primers.

I've also had good success with 16.2 gr. of H110 with the 158 gr. JHP.
OAL is 1.580 or 1.575, depending on how they crimp.
Winchester Magnum primers with H110.

The 2400 load is more controllable for me double action.

I think Elmer Keith liked 14.9 of 2400. Not sure of his exact bullet weight, but
close to 158gr. and probably a LSWCFP.

-Stretch
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Skeeter's heavy load was 158 grn bullet with 8.0 grains of Unique for 1400 fps. I typically shoot .38 +p but when I do load .357 mags I use a 140 grain XTP with 7.0 -7.5 grains of Unique. I have started experimenting with W244. We dont seem to see Unique on the shelf very often these days. W244 is right next to Unique on the burn chart.

Found a good article worth posting. http://www.darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, getting out to the range and being disappointed beats not having gotten to the range at all. 8)
I wonder if your Python would benefit from lapping.
Jay, it is 27 degrees here in west central Texas this morning; looking at a high around 50. Normal is 68/43.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:44 am Jason, getting out to the range and being disappointed beats not having gotten to the range at all. 8)
I wonder if your Python would benefit from lapping.
Jay, it is 27 degrees here in west central Texas this morning; looking at a high around 50. Normal is 68/43.
Wasn't complaining, just not as I expected. I think you guys are right about putting a little work into it. Just surprised, the last new Colt I bought was my National Match which was a tack driver, right out o the box. I know, apples/oranges, but unexpected never the less.

Thanks for the load data, I'll give those a try. The ADD will kick in soon and I'll be obsessing over something different a month from now anyway. Speaking of which, the Lyman 66 finally showed for my Marlin, .35 Remington and the replacement main spring for grandpa's '95 is here as well. Should have time Thursday AM for another range trip. If it's not raining. The weather here has changed as well, mid 30s rain/snow mix. Don't mind as long as the wind isn't blowing.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like Stretches 2400 load. Works pretty good.

Mine was a little stiff also. I did a little burnishing on it and it helped. I also sat and slran the action a considerable amount while watching TV. I had to do this same thing with my SAA when it was new.
They say it's the commifornia drop test standards that have caused this but I don't know how true it is.

Malamute is spot on with Heffron for trigger work on the new Colts. He is reasonably priced too.
Mine looks almost nickeled it is so highly polished.
They are in fact coming out with "blued" version. It isn't blue in the traditional sense, but looks pretty good in the pics I've seen. It is supposed to be very durable also.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks again for the info, guys!

I'm going to give the 2400 load a try, I have a couple cans of it and don't use it much anymore. We've supposed to have a warm up this week, the last few days have ben brutal. We didn't get the snow that the East end of Lake Erie got, but we had the wind and the cold. It's all of 18 degrees this morning.

I'll run a couple hundred more rounds through it, but think I'll send it off to Mr. Heffron for some trigger work. His prices are quite reasonable.

jb 8)