Modern Rifle deer season tomorrow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Modern Rifle deer season tomorrow

Post by JBowen »

Here in Arkansas our Modern Rifle season starts tomorrow. I have my BB94 .356, SBH .44 mag and gear all packed and ready to go early in the morning.
A cold front is coming through now and it should be around 30 in the morning. I missed the early muzzleloading season because I had the COVID and I am looking forward to getting out there.

What are you hunting with this year?

JBowen
lonesome dave
Levergunner

Re: Modern Rifle deer season tomorrow

Post by lonesome dave »

two weeks ago i was fortunate to harvest a 560 pound cow moose in the county. i've been blessed with three moose hunts in my life,and have filled my tag each time with the guidance and help of my best friend gary hamilton. a prince among men, and a hell of a shot.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Same here in KY. I'll be packin my 73 Winchester in 38-40. The rain was a huge blessing to quiet the woods.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Ours starts next weekend, that cold front is going to be here for a few weeks. Opening day is looking to be a low of 12 and a high of 25. I prefer to be in the 30's.
356 BB is my favorite deer rifle but I have been cycling through some of my other rifles. Last year I shot a deer with the model 71 so this year it is the Win 95 in 35 win. Good Luck!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

BenT wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:42 pm Ours starts next weekend, that cold front is going to be here for a few weeks. Opening day is looking to be a low of 12 and a high of 25. I prefer to be in the 30's.
356 BB is my favorite deer rifle but I have been cycling through some of my other rifles. Last year I shot a deer with the model 71 so this year it is the Win 95 in 35 win. Good Luck!
Good luck to you too! I have been cycling through mine the last few years.

JBowen
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Well, I scored early this morning using the Win 356. I am shooting the Speer 180 FNSP. Thumb size hole through one lung, top of heart and out the offside
shoulder and this little button buck still ran about 40 yards straight towards me and came to skidding crash about 10 yards from me. I think I may hunt with
my 1895 30 US rifle now.

JBowen
IMG_0244.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JBowen wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:50 pmWell, I scored early this morning using the Win 356. I am shooting the Speer 180 FNSP. Thumb size hole through one lung, top of heart and out the offside shoulder and this little button buck still ran about 40 yards straight towards me and came to skidding crash about 10 yards from me. I think I may hunt with my 1895 30 US rifle now.
JBowen
IMG_0244.JPG
Congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks like a fine rifle and good eating too. way to go . . .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice 356 and deer!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Meat in the freezer! Let that rifle cool off and pick up the next one. Then repeat. :D
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

BenT wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:28 am Meat in the freezer! Let that rifle cool off and pick up the next one. Then repeat. :D
So many rifles--- So little time!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of the things I always hated about hunting here in Oregon was Fish & Game making deer season either first Sat. in October, or last Sat. in September! Way too early, and often way too warm still! With no rut yet, and the deer being spread out it made hunting tough. And whenever I got one down it was a rush to get them dressed, and boned out to get the meat into a cooler. Often it got into the 80's during the day, so meat spoilage was a real issue.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 amOne of the things I always hated about hunting here in Oregon was Fish & Game making deer season either first Sat. in October, or last Sat. in September! Way too early, and often way too warm still! With no rut yet, and the deer being spread out it made hunting tough. And whenever I got one down it was a rush to get them dressed, and boned out to get the meat into a cooler. Often it got into the 80's during the day, so meat spoilage was a real issue.
CA was the same, my only saving grace was that I hunted @ higher elevations 9-10K feet, and we often encountered snow during our season. Made it tough on those unprepared, but... that wasn't the four of us!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

We lucked out this with the cold front(s) this year. It has abnormally warm up until this week. We are expecting snow and rain mix Monday night.
Looks like below normal temps for about 2 weeks. You never know what the weather will be like in Arkansas.

JBowen
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I could have tagged out by now, but I let everything walk, so far. I have been bowhunting several times, before the regular gun opener. They are coming out and usually crossing in a low saddle. Tonight they were playing around at edge of field in saddle. 3 does and a buck, but I couldn't tell how big he was, so let them all walk. He's not a wall hanger, so I may save them for another chance with my longbow, or recurve after the gun season is over. Still waiting for a big one to cross, but so far no luck.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Feeling that chill here in west central Texas with lows in the 30s/high 20s and highs 50s to 60-ish and a mean wind. Had to dig out my old Oregon clothes ... :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It was season opener in MO as well and as usual I wasn't up there to join in the fun. BUT my "baby brother" took his Winchester '94 and some ammo I loaded up for him earlier this year and took his first buck on a small place he bought. It was good to have a hand in the proceedings in a way, just wish I'd been there to celebrate with him.

Congrats on filling your tag. Good luck with the next rifle in the queue!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I swear, Kansas has the worst gun seasons around. They start Muzzleloader the last week in SEPT where you are typically fighting nats and mesquitos. It only runs a week, then Bow season opens and runs through the end of the year. They do manage to squeeze 10 days of gun season the first week and a half of Dec. But I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for my turn! CONGRATS
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for all the compliments. I went out today with the Winchester 1895 rifle in 30 US. My loads consist of 180 grain Hornady Spire points, over 42 grains of IMR 4350 for approximately 2200 fps, which is the starting load and I didn't want stress a rifle made in 1899. It has a 27 or 28 inch barrel and I figured it would not balance well in the hand because of the magazine well. I was surprised it balanced right in front of the magazine and I like that very thin splinter forearm.

A doe came by at first light and milled around for a while at around 30 yards and I let her walk. About 15 minutes later a Bobcat came sneaking in on my
right and got about 15 - 20 ft. from me before it saw me sitting on the ground leaning against a big white oak. It had a surprised look on its face like oops
what have I done? It then slowly changed directions and wondered off.
A few minutes later a buck came by sniffing the ground at about 75 yards. When he stopped for a moment, I shot him. He turned up the hill and didn't
act like he had been hit. After about 5 minutes I decided to go look for blood and it was good thing. I found a little bit here and there for a ways then I would
lose the trail and would start zig zagging and circling until I found more. After about a 1/4 mile and 3 hours I could not find any more and I am now in an old clearcut area with brush head high and I could hardly walk in there. I hated to quit, but my bad knee was really aching, and I think I gave it a really good effort
to retrieve it.

JBowen
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hope you find him, maybe the coyotes aint got him, or at least shot another good one!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”