Tutt's First 22 Rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Tutt's First 22 Rimfire

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, I have sort of turned up my nose at rimfire (rhimfire?? :D ) cartridges, but you Levergun guys did a number on me just a short while ago. I had already read for years that many people I respect like the little 22 Mag for ranch use and out of a rifle its a "different animal" compared to a handgun when you do (said handgun might still have some uses though).

Then I cam across "Mark and Sam After Work" on YouTube, and he was doing some interesting things with a rimfire cartridge at long/ultra long range. He picked out the 22 over the 17 for a rimfire cartridge, I'm not 100% sure why, but the 22 does offer a huge selection of bullets with sometimes greater bullet mass (yes), length (sometimes) and BC (sometimes) over the 17's that might be an advantage at long range when compared to the .17.

So then I started looking at the various platforms for this cartridge for long range work. Money is tight for me right now, in the middle of a big life change with early retirement to care for family. I looked at the Henry lever gun models, and they did look very nice (thanks Blaine) but a bit too pricey right now. The auto loaders in 22 Mag work, sometimes, but for handloading purposes would not be a good choice.

So I bought this one, it is rather colorful, I admit, but its a pretty good platform to build a long range 22 Magnum rifle that will also have more power in the shorter ranges for critters.

I already have the base, rings, scope, and ammo to take apart and install a different powder and bullet on a primed case. Quick Load is your friend even with the 22 Mag. I just got the rifle lubed up to take photos today. Hoping for a faster twist rate barrel in the future, I'm leaning towards 1:11 for my bullet choices but its all game right now.

-Tutt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Tutt's First 22 Rimfire

Post by AJMD429 »

Neat.

I've always thought reloading a 22 Hornet or 218 Bee could do some fun things along the same lines. (I have a Contender pistol, and Savage and Ruger rifles in Hornet, and a Marlin 1894C in Bee) On the one hand easier to reload, but in the other, 'powder-hogs' in comparison (seems funny to use that phrase for those little cartridges vs the 7mm Rem Mags out there, but vs the 22 WMR they surely are).

I got a Harrell's Precision powder measure when I started reloading for 300 Blackout, so no excuse for me not to go there other than time; it is good for pretty small charges.

What will you use for the tiny 22 WMR charges...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Is it the challenge of fiddling with the .22 Mag? Like Doc, I would have guessed the .22 Bee would have been more practical. :? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, the cases will be pre-primed factory cases of loaded ammunition, I do not think I can duplicate the consistency of the factory primed cases with the "smeared in" stuff, but might try it some day. The powders I expect to use are Hodgdon Lil'Gun and Alliant 300 MP. They act about the same. Both are extremely good in the 22 Hornet from what I am reading. As to 22 mag load data, that will vary so much dependent on bullet length, powder capacity and case strength and so many variables. I haven't tried any and not sure I will even publish my data when I do as the pressure difference is huge with minimal differences in powder amount. In a perfect world, I would like to have a 17 WSM (Win Super Magnum) primed case, and neck it up to .224 because I'm told the brass rim cartridge of the latter is significantly thicker and rated for 30K PSI, not 24K. I have no real verification of that, just the words of a good friend. Meanwhile, I will settle for good 22 Mag ammo from CCI and Norma and hopefully soon Hornady.

-T-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Blaine, practicality was pretty low on the list, I have to admit. Lots of much faster .224 bullets out there for sure like the 224 Valkery or others. I would have to agree and I'm not a big fan of things .22. On a positive note, I can shoot off the shelf 22 Mag all day and still shoot my custom loads. Good rifle and load for newbie shooters. I hope to take my sister shooting soon and maybe, one other from Ukraine some day.

-Tutt

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Might have missed it, but what brand and model is this new rifle?

I've had numerous .22 rifles in both ,22LR, and .22 Short, but never owned a .22 Mag rifle. Mainly because of ammo prices. I do own a CZ American in .17 HMR and it's good to about 175 yds. and then groups begin to open up, even on calm days. Not so much as to miss rabbit sized game, but enough to miss smaller game.
I enjoy shooting long distance at 40-500 yds. with a couple of my heavy barreled match chamber .22 rifles. It's much like shooting one of my big bore single shot rifles at 1,000 yds., except you can't see or hear the hits without getting closer to check targets.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

MM, It's what is commonly called a Savage '93 BRJ for "bench rest jacaranda" stock.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firear ... ry&s=92745

The colors may not be for everybody, but it will be easy to find in my gun safe! :P :lol:

Mark seemed to get better accuracy when......

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well the laminate stocks might be a bit colorful, they have proven to be stronger, and less subject to changes in temperature and humidity. So they do have their positive points.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I never understood why Winchester did not do a 22 or larger rimfire with their WSM rimfire.

As always, have fun 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

hahaha :lol:
Always had my eye on those savage 22's.
not sure about that stock...but i hear they are great rifles
I came across a henry 22mag golden boy at a real good price...
and there went the idea of getting the savage.....for now anyway
Have fun with it....Range report too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty slick Andy!

We have several Savage .22s around here, but my .22 Magnum is a CZ 452. It's too pretty to put a scope on and the tangent sight actually works. If you set it at 50 yds and a 40 gr bullet it actually hits what you aimed at. :D
I had Martinis in .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. Liked them both quite a bit, but sold off all those little custom Cadet rifles when they started getting pricy. Still have one in .25-20 that was the favorite. Still is.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Rihmfire, I've seen the term spelled your way so many times, I honestly get confused on how to spell the term in the initial moment! LOL :D I think we should just change the spelling of it permanently, but maybe wait until we have a "new and improved" 22 Mag based on the 17 WSM (Win Super Mag) rimfire case. Quite honestly, development has completely stopped with the 22 Mag, and everyone has gone back to the original 1:16 barrel twist and reduced the power level somewhat. I can see why, it does its intended purpose as a "ranch gun" or "plinking gun" so why mess with success. But it seems sad to me to let such a popular cartridge and its true potential go to waste.

Yes, I know, a centerfire cartridge has it all over any rimfire cartridge and much more easily reloadable and not with the defect of requiring a soft rim and case for ignition like the 22 Mag or any "rihmfire" cartridge. But if your already making 17 WSM primed cases, and already making 22 Mag rifles by many manufacturers, and already cutting the barrel for twist, I don't see how it would expand costs very much in making things this way???

Deep sigh. :roll:

I guess I will try to do what I can myself if I can. -Tutt

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I purchased a Savage Model 93G 22 WMR locally, yesterday. This is the basic hardwood stocked bolt action with the skinny barrel and iron sights. The sights looked pretty coarse to me, for 150+ yard shooting. I shot it a few times to determine POA/POI and what height potential replacement sight(s) needed to be.

It was windy yesterday so instead of fooling with folding tables & chairs, I slung the rifle and drove the zero turn down to the range. It's got a good seat and makes a fair shooting platform. With the rear sight on the lowest notch of the elevator, the rifle printed 40 grain Super X JHP 5" high and a tad right at 100 yards. The good news is it put 3 of them in about 2".

I took a couple of file strokes off the top of the rear sight and pecked it left a bit with a ball peen hammer. This morning's effort, same ammo 200 yards. Minute of Coyote and the irons are done. I'll mount a proven old Leopold on it in the next few days.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice shooting Sarge!!!! Mine doesn't even have iron sights sadly. I have a rear rail for it, but there is no provision on the front of the barrel for a front sight. I do have a decent
3x9x50 Sig Sauer scope ready for it, but will have to wait until next month to mount it and try the rifle out. Nice to know that the design shoots well. I like the traditional look of yours, I do have to say, but I wanted a bench shooting rifle for this one. How is the action on yours? Mine has some drag to it, I'll look into polishing it up I think. Certainly nothing like my CZ 550 but I did have that bolt polished and jeweled and it is of course just nicer quality. -Tutt

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you Tutt. The action on mine is wasn't great, but it was really dry and some oil helped a lot. The magazines on these are almost universally cussed and probably for good reason. There are several tweaks on the web but so far I haven't needed them. Mine requires working the bolt like you mean it. I've always liked the old Super X 40 grain JHP, but it probably has more exposed lead than any WMR load on the market. One of the modern WMR JHPs, which are often jacketed right up to the cavity, would likely run well.

I nearly bought a heavy barrel 93G but when they took it out of the case, the left side of the receiver was rusted. There are several barrel band style match front sights, that could probably be adapted to the 93 heavy barrel. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:14 pm The powders I expect to use are Hodgdon Lil'Gun and Alliant 300 MP. They act about the same. Both are extremely good in the 22 Hornet from what I am reading.
I agree, these are likely the best choices for the 22WMR. I've done a small bit of reloading using Lil'Gun in the 5mm Remington Magnum with Berger bullets. I need to test 300MP some day. This is one of the reasons I always hoped 300MP would show up in QuickLoad some day. Apparently, not to be.

Please let us know how it goes.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.