What is notch on bottom of Marlin 1894?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tallboy
Levergunner

What is notch on bottom of Marlin 1894?

Post by Tallboy »

It's right by the screw towards the muzzle end of receiver, in front of the trigger guard an inch or two

its a small notch, and a metal piece comes in and out of it, affected by gravity

if i shake the rifle, this piece rattles

what is it?
JimT
Shootist

Re: What is notch on bottom of Marlin 1894?

Post by JimT »

Holding the gun so you can see your "notch" .. work the action slowly and see if you can figure out what it is doing.

PS .. To cheat a bit, look up a video on YouTube of a 3D animation of how a Marlin leveraction works. The one on the 336 Marlin will show you.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

JimT wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:09 pm Holding the gun so you can see your "notch" .. work the action slowly and see if you can figure out what it is doing.

PS .. To cheat a bit, look up a video on YouTube of a 3D animation of how a Marlin leveraction works. The one on the 336 Marlin will show you.
It looks liek a part of the carrier moving up and down, and the video confirms it

what still eludes me is why it needs to extend out of the rifle?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Tallboy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:30 pm
JimT wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:09 pm Holding the gun so you can see your "notch" .. work the action slowly and see if you can figure out what it is doing.

It looks liek a part of the carrier moving up and down, and the video confirms it

what still eludes me is why it needs to extend out of the rifle?
I have no clue. I am sure a gunsmith who specializes in Marlins could give us the answer.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Actually it IS part of the carrier! Why it hangs down I have no idea.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The reason for the piece on the bottom of the carrier is to keep the cartridges in the magazine from backing out under the carrier when feeding a round into the chamber. It has to be long enough to adequately do this, so it protrudes a bit through the bottom of the receiver.
carrier.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It serves to stop the next round from exiting the mag tube. If it was shorter the round could slip past it. If they hid the end of the carrier they'd have to make an odd hump on the trigger plate to cover it. The solution was to just make the rectangle opening to allow it to peek through the trigger plate.
What has always puzzled me is why they changed the design? Early model 1894's didn't need this, and functioned flawlessly. So I've never figured out why they found it necessary to alter the design?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

I have an 95 45-70 and it rattles .deer can come 5 yards from were i sit hunting, so dont need noise.To stop rattle get electritions tape ,cut a strip ,fold over one end to make easy to remove ,place tape over tab .it still does its job but does not rattle ,use old tooth brush or gun brush and some gun oil to scrub any adhesive off . usually their is none . been doing this for 15 years