Savage 99 for $150

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Savage 99 for $150

Post by BenT »

I scored big on this. Check out the pictures, this gun has all matching serial numbers. The guy didn't know what he had! :D

I thought this would be a good winter project. But when I called my gunsmith about another gun he was bluing he stated that he had an issue with his cleaner and the small parts didn't blue right, so he had to redo them. So he was waiting on some more guns to come in before firing up the bluing tanks. So I got out the files and sanding block. About 6 hours of draw filing and sanding and after dropping it off for bluing it looks like this.

Now I will work on the wood over the winter, the bore was in excellent shape. I shot it and it shoots great. I have $310 into it, not too bad for entertainment value. The wood isn't too bad but there is a splinter out of the fore arm on the opposite side of this picture that I need to feather out.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 for $150

Post by ollogger »

Ben T You did very well on the old Savage and it came out looking just great!!
I bought one for 80 bucks but it was in 1969 :lol: it was at the old coop in Eau Claire

Brad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks good, why they thought that was a good idea is a mystery.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nice snag
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never understood why guys felt the need to etch or carve their license number all over a gun? I've seen it many times, and it always makes me cringe. At least the guy who did your 99 didn't get out the electric engraver and make it so deep it couldn't be polished off.
Nice job saving it, and bringing it back to respectable appearance!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Well it did bring the price down. I would buy a barrel full at that price
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks nice, what cal. is it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Looks great, Ben T. That was a diamond in the rough!

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am I've never understood why guys felt the need to etch or carve their license number all over a gun? I've seen it many times, and it always makes me cringe. At least the guy who did your 99 didn't get out the electric engraver and make it so deep it couldn't be polished off.
Nice job saving it, and bringing it back to respectable appearance!
It gave those guys something to do from their treestand on those cold days! :lol:

Great save, very nicely done and a great rifle!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Congrats, Nice score! That will make a great deer rifle. I see the GE on the left rear of the barrel; assume it is a 300 Savage (but could be a 250-3000 Savage)? Is that a Weaver K4 on it?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sorry never said the caliber. It is 300 Savage and it is a K4 scope. I am sucker for taking a neglected rifle and making it presentable again. The bore and barrel was excellent and the wood wasn't cracked at the wrist, that was the positives besides the price. Once I finish the wood I am planning on giving it to my Brother In Law. He is a great guy but he was between jobs about 6 years ago and sold a few of his guns of which he didn't have many. But he went back to using his Marlin 30-30, which is a good gun but I think he would rather have something with a little more range. He always said he wants a 99 in 250 Savage but I think he would like this one in 300.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

that is an insanely low price. Even with the grafiti on it.

I bet your BIL will love it! 300 savage has to be one of the best whitetail rounds.